Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

elleng1678

Treatment For Accidental Contamination

My husband, who has celiac disease, has been gluten free for several years. He just recently was accidentally contaminated at a restaurant, despite our informing the waiter about his illness and the importance of not eating any wheat, etc. Does anyone have any ideas on what he should do to get through the next 24 hours? He gets nauseous, has diarrhea, cramps, is exhausted and essentially acts like he has a 24 hour bug. The greater the contamination, the worse the symptoms, and the longer the attack lasts. Any tips would be welcome.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Basically you have to let it rin its course but there are things you can do to help. I drink ginger,chamomile, and tummy mint teas when I get nausea from contamination which helps. I hope he feels better soon :D

Yes, Kaiti's right. Tea is a good idea. Especially chamomile. It's very mild. And what helped me a lot, was avoiding fatty foods and foods that stink like fat, cause they give you the feeling, that you have to vomit. I try to eat foods, that work against diarrhea, like gluten-free chocolate, potatoes, bananas. Try to get electrolytes (I think that's what they're called in english, don't know though <_< ) back into my body. That means I drink one or two Powerades or Gatorade. And then go over to drinking tea or water again.

Hugs, Stef

Peppermint is very helpful with the nausea -- and Peppermint Altoids are gluten-free.

I find that Sprite is also good when I'm not feeling well--but I usually let it sit out so that much of the fizz gets out of it--then you don't get bloated or gassy, as well.

I got these suggestions for coping when you've been glutened from another forum:

If you have been glutenized, these help:

bananas

papayas (fresh, juice, pills)

aloe vera juice (in Walmart or Target pharmacies, or drug stores)

tonic water

okra is excellent for soothing an irritated GI tract. It contains mucilage which acts as a coating. Amazingly effective. Good for constipation, too, faster than the usual prunes