• Join Our Community!

Do you have questions about celiac disease or the gluten-free diet?

River Faerie

Bloated Tummy...

Rate this topic

My tummy hurts!

I have been gluten free almost three months. At first it was really hard, and I still had the gut wrenching pain. It was terrible. I actually felt worse than I did when I was eating gluten. Now that has passed, but my tummy is totally bloated! What gives? Is it the dairy? That was never a problem before... Is it the soy? I read through some of these posts and get frustrated. I feel like once I feel better and get the hang of something, some other pain begins. My tummy really is pooched out. Not a pretty sight. And it is uncomforatble. It seems to get worse towards the end of the day. Ug! What to do?

Today I had rice waffles that I made and froze a few days ago, with natural peanut butter, a green salad with balsamic vinegar and olive oil, a small cup of yogurt, leftover pork that I made in the crock pot yesterday with some nut thins, and a decaf ice tea. I did have two cups of starbucks coffee this morning, but it hasn't bothered me before. I also drank lots of water today. I am frustrated because I am forced to cook all of my own meals which is hard working full time with three very young children, and I am still getting sick!!!! Dang!

What should I try next?

My tummy hurts!

I have been gluten free almost three months. At first it was really hard, and I still had the gut wrenching pain. It was terrible. I actually felt worse than I did when I was eating gluten. Now that has passed, but my tummy is totally bloated! What gives? Is it the dairy? That was never a problem before... Is it the soy? I read through some of these posts and get frustrated. I feel like once I feel better and get the hang of something, some other pain begins. My tummy really is pooched out. Not a pretty sight. And it is uncomforatble. It seems to get worse towards the end of the day. Ug! What to do?

Today I had rice waffles that I made and froze a few days ago, with natural peanut butter, a green salad with balsamic vinegar and olive oil, a small cup of yogurt, leftover pork that I made in the crock pot yesterday with some nut thins, and a decaf ice tea. I did have two cups of starbucks coffee this morning, but it hasn't bothered me before. I also drank lots of water today. I am frustrated because I am forced to cook all of my own meals which is hard working full time with three very young children, and I am still getting sick!!!! Dang!

What should I try next?

I would say try the dairy as it seems to be an issue w/ lots of Celiacs (sometimes temporarily, sometimes not). I didn't have a big issue w/ dairy but since going gluten-free it is much more pronounced.

The first while in the gluten free diet you find that you get more sensitive to small amounts of gluten. I kept having to cut more trace amounts. I think I finally got them all now and am doing well except for accidental glutening. My stomach is smaller now than it has been in years (after 10 months gluten free), even though I haven't lost any weight. I would research this site about cross contamination and trace gluten. Avoiding diary a good idea too. Also the bloated stomach can come days after eating gluten and last a week or more after that. It isn't necessarily what you ate the day before. (Just to make things even harder to figure out).

The first while in the gluten free diet you find that you get more sensitive to small amounts of gluten. I kept having to cut more trace amounts. I think I finally got them all now and am doing well except for accidental glutening. My stomach is smaller now than it has been in years (after 10 months gluten free), even though I haven't lost any weight. I would research this site about cross contamination and trace gluten. Avoiding diary a good idea too. Also the bloated stomach can come days after eating gluten and last a week or more after that. It isn't necessarily what you ate the day before. (Just to make things even harder to figure out).

If those were the same nut thins that I tried, they aren't made in a dedicated facility and I couldn't eat them without getting sick. I can no longer remember the brand name of the ones I couldn't eat.

ETA:I read "Is it the soy?" and thought you meant soy sauce.

A lot of soy sauce is made with wheat. You need to find a brand without it. La Choy is wheat free, and some Tamari is wheat free, but not all of it.

I have been glutened by many trace hidden scources. Is it the balsamic vinegar? I thought I read on another post that some of those have gluten. Also you said you have tea. I don't know why but I have a sore stomach if I have instant teas. No problem with brewed. My favorite is Constant Comment which I find to be very soothing. Small children is definately a challenge! Hang in there, it does take awhile to figure out all your particular sensitivities. Keeping track of what you eat and writing about it here is a good idea as another set of eyes is always helpful.