• Join Our Community!

Do you have questions about celiac disease or the gluten-free diet?

henny

School Me: Being Glutened

Rate this topic

I am so new to all this and I am wondering whether I got accidentally glutened this week.

I was 100% fine, until I ate a small amount of beef jerky that had MSG in it.

This morning I had a minor amount of gas, and what I can only describe as....leakage. EWWW!

Anyway, is this a symptom of being 'glutened'? What other symptoms should I look for in the future to help track my progress with the gluten-free diet?

thank you

-jen

Hey Jen,

MSG may not be too good for you, but it's not gluten related.

I took me several months of healing before I could tell that I had been glutened. In the beginning everything that I ate effected me due to the fact that I was not healed.

Give it some time, be careful about what you eat and read, read, read from this site. ;)

ugh...I've been feeling a little sick all day. NOTHING NEAR like before, but disappointing.

So are ups and downs (digestively speaking) a normal part of the first few weeks/months? I just don't know if I am being anal enough (HA!) about separating cookware, etc (I'm not) or whether some residual illness is happening on it's own without gluten CC.

Check, check and triple check the ingredients of the beef jerky. I picked some up at the store and started reading the ingredients, thinking "surely I can have this.........." The jerky I was looking at was seasoned with teriyaki, and sure enough, contained gluten.

I checked Jack Link's, as well as a couple others (don't remember the other brands, sorry!).......so just be sure you're looking for all forms of possible wheat/gluten ingredients.

almost all jerky you dont get at a health store is going to have some nasty ingredients. every jerky brand at every grocery store i have been to in the past 6 months has that garbage in it - i had to get organic jerky, but man is it ever good!

also, you can make your own jerky, And msg is not always unrelated to celiac reaction.

ive read all over the place, most celiacs have a pretty noticeable reaction to MSG (including myself) - probably because its a blatantly bad food, and we have sensitive systems already, but maybe its just that most MSG-containing foods also have gluten or are processed on equipment that handles gluten (like progresso or lays). the only msg-containing-food i can handle is tomatoes or v8 juice.

in short: from MSG i get a reaction similar to gluten.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Top Posters +

• Upcoming Events

• May 18, 2019 Until May 19, 2019
      Nourished Festival is a family-friendly event with 10 locations across the US. Attendees will be able to sample food, health and beauty products, meet with companies, learn about the most current food lifestyles, receive coupons and attend educational sessions with industry experts. 
      Nourished Festival, managed by The Nourished Group and presented by Enjoy Life Foods, is the largest gluten-free, allergy-friendly and specialty diet event in the US, with 10 locations including.
      ABOUT THE NOURISHED FESTIVALS
      Managed by The Nourished Group, formerly The Gluten Free Media Group, The Nourished Festivals are the largest and fastest growing special diet consumer events in the United States. Started in 2007, the events have expanded from one to ten cities throughout the country. The festivals cater to anyone looking to lead a healthier lifestyle or those who follow a specialty diet due to autoimmune conditions, food sensitivities, allergies or intolerances. Offerings including Paleo, Keto, Plant-Based, Gluten-Free, Allergen-Friendly and Nut-Free products. The events provide the opportunity for attendees to sample and purchase new products, receive coupons, meet with brand ambassadors and attend educational classes with industry experts. For more information, visit http://www.nourishedfestival.com 

• May 22, 2019 04:00 PM Until 08:00 AM

Celiac Emotional Healing Support Group

Again you are invited to join Johnny Patout, LCSW for Baton Rouge's first emotional healing support group meeting to assist those living with celiac disease manage the emotional challenges so many of us face. Most often the emotional disturbances include depression, disinterest in normal activities, insomnia, grief, mood changes, anxiety, inability to concentrate, extreme concern about managing a gluten-free lifestyle and other emotional and behavioral challenges.

The professionals at Jamestown Avenue Counseling Center created the emotional healing support group to give us a safe place to begin to process our emotions and support each other as we heal emotionally while managing celiac disease and the resulting autoimmune disorders.

The emotional healing support group meets every Thursday, 6:00-7:00pm, at the Jamestown Avenue Counseling Center of Baton Rouge. Jamestown Avenue Counseling Center is located at 4637 Jamestown Avenue, Baton Rouge, Suite B-1. Suite B-1 is upstairs.

The support group is free and open everyone managing celiac disease. For more information: emotionalhealingforceliacs@hotmail.com
    • June 01, 2019 Until June 02, 2019
      Nourished Festival is a family-friendly event with 10 locations across the US. Attendees will be able to sample food, health and beauty products, meet with companies, learn about the most current food lifestyles, receive coupons and attend educational sessions with industry experts. 
      Nourished Festival, managed by The Nourished Group and presented by Enjoy Life Foods, is the largest gluten-free, allergy-friendly and specialty diet event in the US, with 10 locations including.
      ABOUT THE NOURISHED FESTIVALS
      Managed by The Nourished Group, formerly The Gluten Free Media Group, The Nourished Festivals are the largest and fastest growing special diet consumer events in the United States. Started in 2007, the events have expanded from one to ten cities throughout the country. The festivals cater to anyone looking to lead a healthier lifestyle or those who follow a specialty diet due to autoimmune conditions, food sensitivities, allergies or intolerances. Offerings including Paleo, Keto, Plant-Based, Gluten-Free, Allergen-Friendly and Nut-Free products. The events provide the opportunity for attendees to sample and purchase new products, receive coupons, meet with brand ambassadors and attend educational classes with industry experts. For more information, visit http://www.nourishedfestival.com