• Join Our Community!

Do you have questions about celiac disease or the gluten-free diet?

Rate this topic

hi all,

I haven't posted in a while but i feel i need some Help.

I was diagnosed in 2003 and had been doing well for a few years but the past 6 months has been awful again.

All of my celiac levels are normal, I had a colonoscopy last week and doc just called and said that i have inflammation and white blood cells in my intestines, he suspected crohns but it came back negative, I have to go back in tuesday for follow up and more tests, he didn't get specific but he sad he was a little baffled but we'd figure it out.

i also have low b-12 and folic acid so I'm not absorbing.

It took me 16 years to get diagnosed with celiac and now that seems ok but now there is something else................infection........who knows....

Anyone have anything like this happen or suggestions.

Thanks, BT

Did they test your Ferritin too?

If you cannot absorb, then request B12 shots. You can also get folic acid shots as well. B-complex is best.

MANY feel absolutely crappy when their B12 is low. Those shots might be just what you need. Since Celiac is closely related to other auto-immune diseases, you might have pernicious anemia (PA) and that is why you do not absorb B12. There are antibody tests for PA among others. If you have PA then you will need shots for life.

Some feel really bad when their Ferritin is low as well.

Food for thought......

It sounds like you might have an intestinal infection. The inflammation and white cells are the indicators I am looking at. Perhaps a round of antibiotics with something for yeast infection might help.

I would look into what is causing the inflammation (especially infection but could also be additional food intolerance). Most likely this is why you are having issues with malabsorption.

If the problem is yeast.....antibiotics would likely make it worse. You might want to consider testing to see if its SIBO before taking any antibiotics. It could be yeast, bacteria, parasites....or a combination of things...including food intolerance.

Parasites are very common.....but the testing available is inadequate so most likely will not show anything.

hey everybody,

Thank you fo all the comments. before i had the colonoscopy i had a slew of blood work and stool tests, of course i don;t know what he tested for but found no bacteria infection, i suppose he was testing for gerd or something. The absorbtion thing is really recent, even when i first got diagnosed all my levels were normal up until now so this is something new and my doc did say i had "something brewing". He did make mention of the pernicious anemia (PA) as a next option if the crohns was negative, which it was, i have other family members with Crohns so it seemed a possibility.

All of this info is great, as you all know it seems you have to have suggestions with doctors rather than just listening to them.

Also before i went on vacation and was having bathrooming issues he gave me probiotic to try and it did help so a yeast problem could be it as well..........

I do have b-12 shots set up for next week( i have a lot of muscle cramping and muscle spasms).

thanks again, it just helps to know these other issues and possibilities.

XO, BT

the symptoms are really the same as pre celiac diagnosis, constant loose stools, cramping, muscles aches, muscles spasms, even a weird one when i feel my stomach like spasming or intestines...

Had anything changed at the time you started noticing symptoms again? Did you start a remodeling project at home or switch to a new brand of shampoo or conditioner? Are you using a new makeup line? Did you add in a new supplement or are you on a daily med? If you are on any generic med the binders can be changed at will and something that may have been gluten-free may have changed to not gluten-free 6 months ago. Did you get a new pet or change pet foods or litters? The fact that you can pinpoint when the symptoms started again and that they are so much like your prediagnosis symptoms makes me wonder if gluten is sneaking in there somewhere in small amounts.