This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Vodka

BelievinMiracles

BelievinMiracles Explorer

I have a question. I was never diagnosed as a celiac but went on the diet before they could figure it out. I was fine with drinking hard alcohol before the diet but after going gluten free I noticed that i get sick the next day with stomach pains and the poopies after drinking vodka, but not with the gluten free beers. I just think it's weird i react that badly and easily with vodka if I'm not diagnosed celiac and especially if there is a debate whether grain alcohols contain gluten or not.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Lisa Mentor

Is it plain vodka, or is it flavored?

psawyer Proficient

Most vodka is made from non-gluten sources, typically potatoes or corn. Smirnoff is made from corn.

However, as Lisa said, if the vodka has flavor added, then the flavoring could be a source of gluten.

JNBunnie1 Community Regular
I have a question. I was never diagnosed as a celiac but went on the diet before they could figure it out. I was fine with drinking hard alcohol before the diet but after going gluten free I noticed that i get sick the next day with stomach pains and the poopies after drinking vodka, but not with the gluten free beers. I just think it's weird i react that badly and easily with vodka if I'm not diagnosed celiac and especially if there is a debate whether grain alcohols contain gluten or not.

I now have a tendency to do the same thing if I overindulge, I usually stick to wine and beer now. I used tobe able to drink a pint of brandy myself in a night, but after gluten free I can't handle much hard liquor. Our metabolisms change when we go gluten-free, it's unavoidable. You also may have been contaminated in some way, by the liquor itself or a mixer.

BelievinMiracles Explorer

The vodka I had was Svedka vodka and it wasn't flavored. All I know was that I use to be able to drink it but now I just feel sick the next day and not hangover sick. I usually don't drink much when I do. I just think it's weird, I fine with wine also...that doesn't bother me. I did buy some potato vodka to try and we'll have to see if I get sick with that. (I never knew that vodka could contain gluten but the guy at the liquor store said that it could be) But I do get horrible cramps if I drink regular beer for sure...so I stay away from it. Actually I think I had 3 beers one night, woke up with a horrible stomach ache, i even cried that's how much it hurt, and then that is when I came up that it had to be gluten...just has to be.

jaime1103 Rookie

try Chopin. It was recommended to me since it is a potato vodka with no chance of contamination.

larry mac Enthusiast

I spent quite a while reading labels at the liquor stores in Dallas. They had a huge selection. It was my impression that most vodkas are made from grain. Only a very few (one or two) were made from potatoes, and I can't recall any that said corn. Of course not all brands list exactly what the sources are.

I'm looking at a bottle of Vikingford:

"Vikingfjord Vodka comes from Norway, where quality and excellence are a way of life. Following a time honoured vodka recipe, this carefully six column distilled vodka is made from potatoes. Every drop is then expertly blended with 100% smooth, crystal clear water from the pristine Jostedal Glacier of Arctic Norway.

Vikingfjord Vodka. Made with pure glacial water frozen when the world was still pure. DISTILLED FROM POTATOES."

There you go. Word for word off the bottle. Not very expensive either.

Full personal disclosure. I don't worry about or have a problem with distilled alcohols from grains. Or liquors that may have colorings or caramel. I drink 'em all. Equal opportunity imbiber.

best regards, lm

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• 1 month later...
Julianne Marie Newbie

over the weekend i drank brunette's...i mixed it with lemonade (half and half) for the first drink and the second i mixed it half and half with red bull. those were the only 2 drinks i had all night and i drank them 2 hours appart from eachother and after drinking the second drink i went to my room and threw up. and then the next 2 days after that i had a bad stomach ache. is this from my gluten allergies?

ps i drink very little by the way.

Mtndog Collaborator

I do best with potato vodkas too (and Chopin is mighty tasty!!!!)

DarkIvy Explorer

I've never had issues from grain based hard alcohols. My understanding is that the distillation process removes gluten. I'm super sensitive, so I'd know if I got glutened (especially considering how much I do drink when I drink. Shush! I'm 21 and kind of in college!)

When I've been glutened while drinking, I've come to the conclusion that it has to be some CC. Have you ever watched the bartenders? The slosh beer everywhere, pick up a new glass, and proceed to the next drink.

I've started brining a gigantic handbag with me and I just always bring my own booze and a shot glass or two. Classy, I know ;) Actually though, it's helped. Last time I did this I didn't get glutened, and usually I do get glutened on a night out. I too, drink Svedka. That's actually what I brought on my last night out. Way better than the McCormick's crap the frat brothers were offering. I'm a beverage snob.

FYI, MOST vodka is made from wheat. Svedka is distilled 5 times I believe, and I've never had issues. Few vodkas are made from potato. I'd like to get my hands on some potato vodka though, I hear it's very smooth.

The only thing I haven't really tried much of is whiskey, and it's because I honestly don't understand whether it's gluten free or not. I never liked it much anyway, so I don't think I'm missing out on much.

I've noticed a change in my hangovers after gluten free, but quite honestly, I've noticed a change in them since I was a freshman in college (when I started partying) and my hangovers now 3-4 years later. Everyone my age is complaining of "worse" hangovers and "different" hangovers. Now that I'm gluten-free, I can't handle much wine, either. I used to be a big fan of wine and I never had any problems.

That said, vodka isn't the easiest on your stomach... period. Even in small amounts, it might just be enough to be painful. Try a good rum or tequila next time and see if that doesn't help.

PS, stomach aches and poopies are both very common symptoms of hangover. My hangovers are like that pretty consistently, regardless. Again, vodka is pretty harsh stuff, it might just be that your digestive system doesn't handle it well.

julirama723 Contributor

I've had problems with grain vodka AND corn vodka (I am positive I have issues with corn), but NO problems whatsoever with potato vodka. (I have a bottle of Luksosawa and it's pretty decent, not able to get Chopin here!)

I've also had problems with whiskey, regardless of the gluten/no-gluten argument. (BAD hangovers as of recent!) Rum is fine, and watch for tequila--stuff like Jose Cuervo or Sauza is NOT 100% agave, and they add grain alcohol as filler.

larry mac Enthusiast
......Rum is fine, and watch for tequila--stuff like Jose Cuervo or Sauza is NOT 100% agave, and they add grain alcohol as filler.

With all due respect, that is completely inaccurate. There are 100% agave Tequilas (and they will always be labeled as such, and there are non- 100% agave Tequilas (commonly referred to as mixtos). Mixtos are required by Mexican law to contain at least 51% agave sugars. The remainder is cane sugar. Same as is used to make rum. There is no grain in tequila. If you could cite a source disputing that I would be very interested in knowing.

I'm a Tequila lover. Have been for a long time. :P

best regards, lm

p.s., Most Cuervo and Sauza product is non-100% agave. They both do however, also make 100% agave Tequla.

julirama723 Contributor

I've read it in quite a few places, here are just a couple of examples.

Open Original Shared Link

This is the stuff I'd read before, though I have also found websites that claim the filler is cane sugar, just as you said. I'm not claiming to be an expert, but I do know that I certainly feel a heckuva lot better drinking 100% agave like patron or at the very least, 1800 (as opposed to mixto like cuervo) so I thought I'd pass that info along.

Yes, that was my point, the "Jose Cuervo" and "Sauza" tequilas branded as such are not 100%. :)

larry mac Enthusiast

Thanks for providing the links. Unfortunately, they are not very authoritative sources. Tequila is one of the most misunderstood spirits. Many still link tequila with a worm. That's tourista mescal. Tequila has never had a worm. Also, agave are not in the cactus family. I also join you in recommending drinking 100% agave tequila. However, I wouldn't want anyone to fear that any tequila might contain grain alcohol. If you can drink rum, you can drink the non-100% mixtos. After all, rum is made entirely from cane sugar, and mixto tequilas are only half cane sugars.

best regards, lm

Please check out some of these links:

From www.tequila.net

The main two types of Tequila are first split into two categories, 100% Blue Agave, and Tequila Mixto (Mixed). Mixto Tequila contains a minimum of 51% Blue Agave, and the remaining 49% from other sugars (cane alcohol). The additional products allowed in Mixto Tequilas are caramel color, oak extract flavoring, glycerin, and sugar based syrup.

From www.ianchadwick.com/tequila/pure_mixto.htm

If it doesn't say 100% agave, it's a mixto tequila. Mixtos are never labelled as mixto, but are merely called "tequila." While most purists won't drink mixtos, many tequila aficionados got their first taste from the popular mixto brands like Cuervo Especial. So mixtos have played an important role in the journey to tequila knowledge. Some bartenders only use mixtos for cocktails like margaritas, claiming the other ingredients mask the taste of a better tequila. Again, purists insist on 100% agave tequilas in their margaritas.

julirama723 Contributor

Larry Mac, thanks for the link and the info!

You learn something new every day. :)

I knew *something* in "cheap" tequila made me feel nasty the next day. (When I read those other sources speaking of mixto containing alcohol distilled from grain, it didn't seem so far-fetched, especially with other problems I've had with grain-distilled alcohol.) I'd have to venture a guess that one of the additives attributed to my hellacious symptoms the next day. I know that for me, sugary syrups and alcohol DO NOT mix well...

Re: vodka--

I do know that Smirnoff, Skyy, and Tito's are distilled from corn, as far as "other grains" are concerned. Most are distilled from grain, though they are distilled many times and should not have any gluten whatsoever. I'd really love to find some Chopin vodka some day, or Teton Glacier, which is made in Idaho.

gpierre Newbie

Wow, I actually learned a lot from this discussion. I actually never thought that people would react differently to vodka made from different non-gluten sources. That's quite interesting! I guess I have to pay more attention to what I drink.... :blink:

Archived