This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

gluten-free Diet Not Yet Helping After 1mo

Sheila Marie

Sheila Marie Newbie

Hi

I'm new to the forum

I'm not yet diagnosed. My blood work came back negative and my small bowel biopsy showed possible celiac, possible bacterial infection or possible other protien allergy. I failed a course of antibiotics and am still on a high dose of probiotics (not helping)

My GI doc said that he does not know whats wrong with me and does not believe that I have celiacs because of the negative blood work. Thanks to this web site I now know that you can have celiac with a negative blood test. I am waiting to see a GI specialtist.

My symptoms are abdominal bloating that has been happening for about 1 1/2 yr. , getting much worse. I get very bloated after I eat almost anything and pretty bad abdominal discomfort. Chronic constipation for 1 1/2 yr.

I am trying a gluten free diet. Have been on it for one month now and have also stopped milk products. I am not feeling any better. I have had a few good days but mostly bad. I'm afraid to eat anything at this point and am starting to loose weight.

Does any one have any sugestions? Can it take a while before I feel better? Is there anything else I should take out of my diet? I eat alot of fruit and recently stoped eating to see if it would help, so far no relief.

I would appreciate any sugestions or guidance.

Thanks

Sheila

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Jestgar Rising Star

You might want to consider cutting out some other big allergens, like corn and soy. Or post some things here that you are eating, maybe you aren't as gluten-free as you think.

missy'smom Collaborator

It can take quite a while to heal. I felt some immediate relief but it took me the better part of two years to feel normal everyday. I was undiagnosed 8 years. Cross-contamination can cause symptoms to persist, both CC in the preparation of foods and in products. Have you verified that EVERYTHING you're eating is gluten-free? If in doubt don't eat it, but don't just go without, educate yourself, make a phone call to a manufacturer, ask if things are gluten-free.

Things like cast iron skillets, teflon coated pans, colanders and strainers that have previously been used for gluten containing foods can also be sources of cross-contamination. All medications, both over the counter and prescription need to be gluten-free, you have to contact the manufacturer, labels are not suficient with meds. Also toothpaste, lipstick, vitamins. Anything that touches your lips or goes in your mouth.

If any of that seems overwhelming, come here and ask. We'll help.

Sheila Marie Newbie
You might want to consider cutting out some other big allergens, like corn and soy. Or post some things here that you are eating, maybe you aren't as gluten-free as you think.

Thanks for your reply.

I'm feeling very desperate. I'm hungry all the time and so afraid to eat. I don't know what else to try.

My diet consists of beans and rice, gluten free rice cereal, gluten free almond milk, fruits and vegtables, guten free corn toritllas, chicken, nuts, and occcasional gluten free coconut frozen desert. I also stopped eating out.

I will take out the corn tortillas out of my diet to see if that helps. I did eat polenta a couple of weeks ago and got very bloated.

My husband is very supportive and is mostly eating what I'm eating. I don't really see any cross contamination taking place.

Thanks again.

Jestgar Rising Star

Some nuts are contaminated in the factory. What brand/type are you eating?

Sheila Marie Newbie

I usualy buy the the organic all natural almonds from the whole food store out of the bins.

Jestgar Rising Star

I suppose those could be contaminated, but probably only once in a while. Doesn't seem like they would cause constant problem.

Try the corn. It turned out to be one of my big problems. I can eat a bit now, so I don't have to worry about corn cc.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

gfpaperdoll Rookie

When you are first gluten-free & trying to heal it is best to not eat any dairy, soy and very little to no grains.

Have a lot of cooked fresh veggies, baked or boiled chicken, fish, salmon, eggs, cooked fruit if you are having problems with raw fruit.

Pick out things that you know you can eat - foods that when you eat them you feel fine. Start with something like baked chicken, baked sweet potato, and applesauce...

try a soup made by boiling chicken & adding carrots, green cabbage & maybe a little celery & onions. Nothing else.

for now think about elminating the sodas, artificial sugar, & processed foods...

Sheila Marie Newbie

Thank You All Very Much

I will try all your sugestions.

This is a great forum, so glad that I found it.

Thanks again

Archived