• Join Our Community!

Do you have questions about celiac disease or the gluten-free diet?

Rate this topic

Just got back from another emergencey room visit, with nothing but laxatives and nausea mediation. Pain is unbearable. It originated 5 years ago in my lower left rib cage. Misgianosed since then I believe because nothing has helped the pain.

I take 3 Oxicotins and 3 Lortab 10's a day for severe nerve damage, but this does not touch the pain. I am going in for a neurostimulator trial on Wednesday and they are thinking of putting a lead to my ribs to help with unexplained pain.

I am on Plaquinil for several forms of arthritus, I also have osteoperosis. I have had many pain blocks and nothing is helping. I have been disabled for one year now and can barely ride in a car.

I have had one pain free experiance. I was in the hospital for over a month and on a gluten free diet. I thought it was because I was not using my "rib muscles". I have a new GI consult Monday. I have been diagnosed celiac from a biobpsy I do not have a blockage and only "poo" a couple times a month.

Could this be all related?

Thank you in advance

You say you are a diagnosed celiac. Are you currently on a gluten-free diet (I would assume so, especially as this helped you before)? Constipation (or diarrhea), osteoporosis, arthritis are frequently associated with celiac disease. Other posters have described the kind of pain you are having (run a google search). I would suspect that your problems are caused by celiac disease. Good luck with your Gi appointment - I hope you get a good doctor. Also, good luck for relief of your pain.

The pain you are describing is what I get when I have been glutened. Nothing stops it except time. Even after the worst of the pain is gone, the area is still very sensitive to pressure. Make extra sure that you are not getting gluten anywhere. It takes 6 to 8 weeks for my pain to stop when it happens.

I am embarresed to say, I just put the two and two together today. Never associated the pain with my celiac. Have not been on a gluten-free diet, but started back again today. Never really gave it a chance. Did not realize how serious this condition is.

I thought it was the bed rest that helped and not the diet at the hospital. Looking back over my life all of my health and emotional problems, down to lack of memory can be linked to this. I feel as if I have found the magic pill.

Thank you for your time to reply. I really needed to hear from someone to know if this could all be possible. Seems unimaginable that Gluten can destroy your life.

Happy to have a second chance.

Best wishes to you and your health.

The pain you are describing is what I get when I have been glutened. Nothing stops it except time. Even after the worst of the pain is gone, the area is still very sensitive to pressure. Make extra sure that you are not getting gluten anywhere. It takes 6 to 8 weeks for my pain to stop when it happens.

I am so sorry to hear you feel my pain. How did you finally figure it out? I was diagnosed at 34 and wish I could start over gluten-free.

I have been reading about trouble gluton spots. Is this a common one?

Can a crumb cause your pain to return for months?

I was diagnosed in 2004. I don't get pain for months from a crumb anymore, but it does last for two days. I have found that doing the arms-over-head-lean-to-the-right stretches help relieve the pain. I don't know why or how it helps me, but it does.

For the longest time, I thought it was being caused by an ulcer or dairy. I had quit eating all dairy, but still had the awful pain. Then I read about celiac in an issue of Woman's Day, and tried eliminating gluten. After a couple of months glutenfree, the pain went away. Now it only comes back when I gluten myself.

Try eliminating all gluten for a couple of months and see if it goes away. Treat yourself nicely, and remember that gluten hides in many places, and it is up to you to look for it.

I was diagnosed in 2004. I don't get pain for months from a crumb anymore, but it does last for two days. I have found that doing the arms-over-head-lean-to-the-right stretches help relieve the pain. I don't know why or how it helps me, but it does.

For the longest time, I thought it was being caused by an ulcer or dairy. I had quit eating all dairy, but still had the awful pain. Then I read about celiac in an issue of Woman's Day, and tried eliminating gluten. After a couple of months glutenfree, the pain went away. Now it only comes back when I gluten myself.

Try eliminating all gluten for a couple of months and see if it goes away. Treat yourself nicely, and remember that gluten hides in many places, and it is up to you to look for it.

Dessa ~

Is your pain in your left or right rib cage? I'm scared to stretch the wrong way as all movements aggrivate my pain. I am almost wheelchair bound 100% of the time due to the pain. Unable to work for a year now.

Treat yourself nicely, and remember that gluten hides in many places, and it is up to you to look for it.

Another night unable to sleep and reading your last statement has given me a peace I truely needed. I am boiling eggs now to eat and just finished drinking half a jar of pickle juice. Sound familiar?

Did you think you were crazy? I am so proud of you for connecting the pain with celiac from a magazine article. Life changing I am sure.

Up to me to look for it...any other places your having problems? Depression and anxiety have been huge issues in my life and nothing has ever helped. My memory is so poor I can't remember family members names of my boyfriends that I have known for 8 years. The more I research the more I find things that gluten has caused.

Thank you again for your reply. I do not feel completely alone now.

Blessing to you and yours,

Amanda

I have been having pain in my left lower rib cage and it isn't from my celiac. (I get that pain under my belly button).

It started out with gallstones, then a stone in my bile duct. After 9 months of severe pain they figured out that I have

a 8 mm kidney stone. They figured this out by doing a full torso cat scan. I never presented with the classic pain for either problem. Just another option to add to the puzzle if the gluten-free diet doesn't clear up all your pain.