Rate this topic

I have found conflicting information on beer and whiskey and would like to know more. After drinking a beer I don't notice any symptoms like I would if I ate a piece of bread. I only drink the dark beers like stouts and brown ales. I only have about 1 or 2 beers a month so that might be why I don't notice anything. Any info would be helpful.

Ianm

Whiskey is not necessarily "tripple distilled". I found only one obscure bourbon in Kentucky that is. Most are single distilled and a few are double distilled. In any event, the distillation is supposed to negate the gluten content unless the distiller mixes part of the beer back into the whiskey when barrelling or cutting to bottling streangth. Bourbon is only supposed to be cut with branch water. I personally drink Makers Mark. I've felt bad after drinking premix mint juleps, but the regular products don't give me any reaction.

The official word on ALL liquor is that it's gluten-free unless they add gluten after distilling. And I can't remember finding a liquor that had gluten added yet.

This is not, of course, a guarantee there isn't a liquor with gluten, but I think of scotch as safe.

richard

So would all vodka's be ok? I have stayed clear of Stoli and Absolut as they are distilled from wheat grain. I have only had potato vodka...which is very hard to find when you are out at bars! I miss my flavored vodkas!

So my parents owened a bar for 25 years and I worked there forever and my brother has also had celiac disease for ten years.

1. If you go to any bar(not a jammed club) tell the bartender your deal. Bartenders are usually or should be cool. I might actually be over concerened like a cook is somtimes. Then ask if they have any distilled , triple distilled whiskey's its a normal question. In the old day's the more distilled the weaker the booze(not now a days :rolleyes: )

2. In regards to the POURER or Pop gun. The problem is the bartender is busy and if they accidently hit the wrong button they won't dump your drink(unless you sit at the bar and catch them in the act). So make sure you tell them that to.

3. If you want to be sure your safe order your distilled shot of choice in a snifter or rocks glass with a side of water. FYI don't get a shot because amount wise its smaller then a snifter or rocks glass. ;)

Another safe shot, due to mine and my brothers trial and air is Jager. But get it straight from the Jager machine or bottle from the fridge. There's alot of bad dish cleaning practices in bars and there may be residue from another previously chilled order from sombody else.

Also unless it's just me I had problems with Jose not sure why but then again I had it with OJ FROM THE GUN!

So good luck and HAPPY ST.PAT'S EVERYONE :)

This is an old topic. Here is a link the the FAQs on Jack's web site, where it clearly states that the distillation process renders the product gluten-free.

Jack's FAQs

Wrong. They say that the gluten was removed from distillation. A PhD chemist has posted on the web how this is not possible. It is also common sense. You cannot remove 100% of anything ever. That is why anything made with gluten contains gluten, no matter what. Some people who are less sensitive may not have a problem as most of the gluten can be removed. They may "clearly state" it, but it is not true. It may even be classified as "gluten free" as that term allows for a certain number of parts per million of gluten. But, some people have been confirmed to have had severe reactions to the gluten in distilled spirits.

Rakdan  i'm afraid you are mistaken because distillation does in fact remove the gluten. Be sure to read this article https://www.celiac.com/articles/184/1/American-Dietetic-Association-Revises-Its-Gluten-Free-Guidelines---Distilled-Vinegar-is-Safe-for-a-Gluten-Free-Diet/Page1.html

On 12/14/2013 at 9:28 AM, psawyer said:

This is an old topic. Here is a link the the FAQs on Jack's web site, where it clearly states that the distillation process renders the product gluten-free.

Jack's FAQs

Good idea.  Lately they just removed that FAQ, likely because they haven't certified it as gluten free, but I'd still assume all distilled liquors should be gluten free.