• Join Our Community!

Do you have questions about celiac disease or the gluten-free diet?

dandelionmom

Dumb Questions!

Rate this topic

I'd love some input!

Is it safe for a 4 y/o to do a painting craft with an empty Pringles can?

What do you think of hay rides for young kids? Too risky because of CC or just good fun if you wash up afterward?

Thanks!

Gosh, I'd be nervous about the Pringles can. They're hard to clean well. Maybe you could use a cardboard tube from wrapping paper or get one at a craft store instead?

Hay rides - I guess it really depends if it is wheat hay. I know I've seen some other parents on here say their child got sick from a hay ride. Is there a way you can call and find out what type of grass the hay is made from? A farmer should know if it's their own hay, but places that buy baled hay probably wouldn't have a clue.

Pringles can--if I had personally scrubbed it out with soap and water a few times, then I'd be OK with it, what about a Lays Stax can?

Hay rides--my dd was one of those who got very sick from a hay ride. I always ask the farms before hand now so I can prep the kids if need be before we get there-less disappointment and fits later.

Pringles can--if I had personally scrubbed it out with soap and water a few times, then I'd be OK with it, what about a Lays Stax can?

Hay rides--my dd was one of those who got very sick from a hay ride. I always ask the farms before hand now so I can prep the kids if need be before we get there-less disappointment and fits later.

I'm a farmers daughter and my father NEVER grew wheat, so please ask. We gres Alfalfa, and all hay was made with that. A dairy farm may not have any wheat at all growing there, but a crop farm is totally different story.

I'm a farmers daughter and my father NEVER grew wheat, so please ask. We gres Alfalfa, and all hay was made with that. A dairy farm may not have any wheat at all growing there, but a crop farm is totally different story.

I agree, call ahead. In my area, and in my experience, it's been almost all wheat. Make sure if they tell you "it's just straw" you ask "what kind of straw" The last guy I talked to took a bit to get him to understand the correlation.

We just did a hay ride last weekend. Both kids seem to be fine however the hay was alfalfa not wheat. The farmer there told me that typically if they say "straw" it is wheat. He told me that straw is the bottom of the wheat. Just thought I would pass that along. All of the people we spoke with were so nice about our questions. The first two didn't know so the found the man who owned and operated the farm. He answered all of our questions and the kids have been fine. Good luck and happy hay rides!