• Join Our Community!

Do you have questions about celiac disease or the gluten-free diet?

nitu_752002

gluten-free Chicken Strips

Rate this topic

Hi

I was trying to make chicken strips for my 2year old. I used rice bread crumbs for the coating but I found when frying it becomes a bit hard, is there anything else I can use or do you have a receipe that makes not so crunchy outer layer? The inside was nice and tender!

Thanks

Corn meal (super fine) or sorghum flour would work well.

I use 1 part pamela's baking mix and 1 part gluten-free flour mix (mine is the rice flour/tapioca starch/potato starch combo) add salt, pepper, onion powder, garlic powder, paprika to taste. Dredge in a beaten egg before coating with the flour mix and fry. My family loves it. Whatever you decide to do, make extra for the freezer . . . cheeper than the frozen ones you buy.

I buy a loaf of EnerG light rice bread and pulse it in the food processor, making crumbs that have a little texture but not too big. I store them in a ziplock in the freezer. No need to defrost. This method makes a crumb coating that fries up light and crisp.

I buy a loaf of EnerG light rice bread and pulse it in the food processor, making crumbs that have a little texture but not too big. I store them in a ziplock in the freezer. No need to defrost. This method makes a crumb coating that fries up light and crisp.

Oooo, lovely idea! And much cheaper than buying expensive gluten-free bread crumbs too......

EnerG makes good stuffing too. Don't like it for much else though.

Oooo, lovely idea! And much cheaper than buying expensive gluten-free bread crumbs too......

EnerG makes good stuffing too. Don't like it for much else though.

I agree with both statements. Here the light rice loaf is a dollar or two cheaper than the others, that's why we get that one.

I agree with both statements. Here the light rice loaf is a dollar or two cheaper than the others, that's why we get that one.

We toasted a piece on a lark when I bought a loaf for stuffing, yeah... not so much. Scary stuff. Great for stuffing! Very strange......

Hi!

Here is how I make mine. I owe many thanks to the Canadian program "Cooking with the Wolfman" on the Native Peoples TV Station. Hawooo! It is a modified tempura really.

For every pound of chicken (tenders or strips) take 4-5 egg whites (depending on size) and beat until white and frothy. Add in .5 tbs of cream of tartar, baking soda, salt and any spices you would like. I like to put in ground ginger and paprika, but you could do anything you like. Even none (gasp!)

Stir in garbanzo bean flour until a paste forms. You might have to add a TBS or two ofr warm water to get the right consistency.

Dip your chicken strips and fry until golden brown. Place on a cookie sheet and bake for an additional 20 minutes or so at 360F. I like these with sweet and sour sauce (the kind used on spring rolls.)

This batter, BTW is absolutely divine for friend walla walla or vidalia onion rings (the ratio is three eggs per onion, more or less), should you be lucky enough to have them at the market. It also works great for shrimp-- but be sure you mets are thawed, otherwise you get a mess.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Top Posters +

• Upcoming Events

• May 22, 2019 04:00 PM Until 08:00 AM

Celiac Emotional Healing Support Group

Again you are invited to join Johnny Patout, LCSW for Baton Rouge's first emotional healing support group meeting to assist those living with celiac disease manage the emotional challenges so many of us face. Most often the emotional disturbances include depression, disinterest in normal activities, insomnia, grief, mood changes, anxiety, inability to concentrate, extreme concern about managing a gluten-free lifestyle and other emotional and behavioral challenges.

The professionals at Jamestown Avenue Counseling Center created the emotional healing support group to give us a safe place to begin to process our emotions and support each other as we heal emotionally while managing celiac disease and the resulting autoimmune disorders.

The emotional healing support group meets every Thursday, 6:00-7:00pm, at the Jamestown Avenue Counseling Center of Baton Rouge. Jamestown Avenue Counseling Center is located at 4637 Jamestown Avenue, Baton Rouge, Suite B-1. Suite B-1 is upstairs.

The support group is free and open everyone managing celiac disease. For more information: emotionalhealingforceliacs@hotmail.com
    • June 01, 2019 Until June 02, 2019
      Nourished Festival is a family-friendly event with 10 locations across the US. Attendees will be able to sample food, health and beauty products, meet with companies, learn about the most current food lifestyles, receive coupons and attend educational sessions with industry experts. 
      Nourished Festival, managed by The Nourished Group and presented by Enjoy Life Foods, is the largest gluten-free, allergy-friendly and specialty diet event in the US, with 10 locations including.
      ABOUT THE NOURISHED FESTIVALS
      Managed by The Nourished Group, formerly The Gluten Free Media Group, The Nourished Festivals are the largest and fastest growing special diet consumer events in the United States. Started in 2007, the events have expanded from one to ten cities throughout the country. The festivals cater to anyone looking to lead a healthier lifestyle or those who follow a specialty diet due to autoimmune conditions, food sensitivities, allergies or intolerances. Offerings including Paleo, Keto, Plant-Based, Gluten-Free, Allergen-Friendly and Nut-Free products. The events provide the opportunity for attendees to sample and purchase new products, receive coupons, meet with brand ambassadors and attend educational classes with industry experts. For more information, visit http://www.nourishedfestival.com 

• July 07, 2019 Until August 03, 2019
      For more information, visit www.kefss.com or call (407) 255-6550. info@kefss.com 

KEF USA Summer Camps Announces the New KEF Gluten-Free Camp in Orlando, Florida for Youths with Celiac Disease.

[Orlando, FL February 6, 2019]-KEF USA is excited to announce that we will offer a new 100% gluten-free camp program to give kids and teens with Celiac Disease a safe, exciting and healthy summer. KEF USA programs offer fun and unique experiences that can only be found in Orlando, Florida. Campers explore the theme parks and local attractions, make new friends, discover new interests and create memories that last a lifetime.