• Join Our Community!

Do you have questions about celiac disease or the gluten-free diet?

Rate this topic

Has anyone ever gone off the diet for a while just to see the effects? I read in a MERK book that some people reintroduce gluten after a while. I was suprised to see this, and it got me thinking....maybe I CAN have mom's banana bread again!?!?!? What do you think?

Do you have confirmed Celiac? If YES....then you can NEVER eat gluten again without damaging your body and setting yourself up for other health problems. You dont outgrow Celiac or cure it with a gluten-free diet. You simply control the disease. It NEVER goes away.

If you are gluten intolerant, maybe. A very few can eat it again. But most cannot.

I made banana bread today and it is absolutely delicious!! I am grain free. I made it with almond flour. It is awesome!!

Before I went grain free banana bread was one of my first gluten-free baking endeavors and it came out so yummy and no one could tell the difference. :)

Has anyone ever gone off the diet for a while just to see the effects? I read in a MERK book that some people reintroduce gluten after a while. I was suprised to see this, and it got me thinking....maybe I CAN have mom's banana bread again!?!?!? What do you think?

First how old was that Merck? It used to be thought that celiac was a child's disease and that it could be outgrown. We now know that is not the case. What can happen though is something called the 'honeymoon' effect where it can be a while before the gut symptoms become severe again. However celiac is an autoimmune condition and that means that it can cause damage to any organ of the body not just the gut. That damage can be severe at times and may not be associated with the past celiac diagnosis until the gut stuff reappears. There are some celiacs who are 'silent' celiacs, meaning they have no strong gut symptoms but that does not mean that damage is not being done. It may just be attacking the brain or liver or joints etc instead.

If you are a diagnosed celiac it is not at all advisable to cheat on the diet. The reasons are many not just because you might get D, that's the least of the risks IMHO.

Would you mind giving up that grain free banana bread recipe? That sounds very interesting. At this point I guess I'm just looking for any excuse to eat anything I could eat six months ago. Thanks for clearing my head on that one....I should know better by now.....wishful thinking

It is so easy to make and tastes great. I dont make a "loaf". I put in a 9x13 pan so it bakes faster. Just watch it and when it starts turning golden brown it is done. Lightly touch the center just to make sure it doesnt sink in there. Usually about 30 minutes in my oven.

http://scdrecipe.com/recipes-bread/banana-bread-loaf/

I hope you made that banana bread. That is one thing that always taste as good gluten-free as the regular. Well, there is also lemon bars, apple cake, carrot cake, pumpkin cupcakes, really anything with a fruit or dates, or mincemeat etc to hold in the moisture & give it a good texture - will turn out perfect...

Enjoy!!

Well I think that depends...

For me, eating gluten again really sucked.

During Hurricane Ike, and up until yesterday, I have had a horrible time trying to stay gluten free because resources were so scarce (electricity, grocery stores, etc.) So for a three week-ish period, I had been glutened quite a bit, despite my best efforts. Towards the end I was so frustrated (and hungry), I just ate glutenous stuff anyway.

Well, I've certainly noticed the ill-effects; I feel pretty cruddy actually, and my Hashimotos (autoimmune thyroid disorder) has also flared up, so I feel extra cruddy. The ill effects came on slowly and built from there; but they certainly were there!

Long story short - I am trying my best to correct the damage that has been done by eating gluten, and I am going to try my best to have some type of fall back plan incase anything like Hurricane Ike happens again *sigh*

Now, this was just me... I am not sure about you -

If you are diagnosed Celiac, I'd say don't even attempt it (I was diagnosed several months ago)

If you are not diagnosed but have had a positive response to being gluten free, you could try gluten and see how you react (physically, mentally, etc.)

Keep us updated, ok?

If you want a really easy and delicious banana bread recipe, buy a bag of Pamela's baking mix and follow the banana bread recipe on the Pamela's website (listed under Quick Breads & Biscuits). I thought it tasted exactly like the "real thing," and it was super-easy to make.

http://www.pamelasproducts.com/recipe_frames.html

Hang in there. :)

If you have biopsy confirmed Celiac, the gluten free diet for life is the only recommended treatment at this point.

If you need help with finding 'replacements' - let us know!

It is adapted from my mom's "normal" banana bread recipe (everything in our house is pretty much "adapted")

Banana Bread

2 tsp vanilla

3/4 c sugar

1 1/2 mashed bananas (very ripe, 3-4 bananas)

3/4 c veg. oil

2 eggs, beaten with a fork

2 c "flour" of choice

1 tsp baking soda

1/2 tsp baking powder

1/2 tsp salt

1/2 tsp xanthan gum *can vary depending on results

1/2 c chopped nuts----optional

In a large bowl, mix eggs, banans, oil, vanilla, and sugar. Stir in dry ingredients. Grease mini loaf pans and fill 2/3. Makes 2-3. (Actually, its probably about 3 and one muffin).

Bake 35-40 min.

Cool in pan only a few minutes. Remove from pan and cool completely before slicing.

Note: Bananas can be mashed and measured into ziplock bags and frozen. Or, freeze whole in peel and thaw in microwave.

Reintroducing is for when you are allergic to something. Hence allergy shots.

I had someone tell me she kept eating it because she heard its worse if you stop eating it and then have some, the symptoms will always be worse then so keep eating it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WOW...I have so many new recipes to try....I'm going to get fat just in time for christmas! Maybe I should buy a big red suit and some reindeer! But seriously, thanks for all the info and support! Last night my grandmom threw a slice of bread at me and said, "oh just eat what everybody else is eating...I never heard of that silly celtics disease, you'll be just fine eating glue!!!" Family can be so wonderful!?!?