• Join Our Community!

Do you have questions about celiac disease or the gluten-free diet?

Hummingbird4

First Thanksgiving Gluten-free

Rate this topic

Ok, so I'm AMAZINGLY STUPID: I googled grits casserole to find a gluten free recipe and there was an old post from THIS forum where someone mentioned it. They said, "PM me for the recipe." I CAN'T FIND IT....everytime I google it again, POOF, it's GONE! If ANYONE out there knows a garlic cheese grits casserole...let me know.

Initially, I didn't think that the casserole would be a problem, then I remembered that my Mom puts Kraft Garlic Cheese in it...not ONLY could I NOT find it on their gluten free list, but I found mention that it had been discontinued. :( So, I need to get a new, gluten free version ANYWAY, it seems. :rolleyes:

Ok, so I'm AMAZINGLY STUPID: I googled grits casserole to find a gluten free recipe and there was an old post from THIS forum where someone mentioned it. They said, "PM me for the recipe." I CAN'T FIND IT....everytime I google it again, POOF, it's GONE! If ANYONE out there knows a garlic cheese grits casserole...let me know.

Initially, I didn't think that the casserole would be a problem, then I remembered that my Mom puts Kraft Garlic Cheese in it...not ONLY could I NOT find it on their gluten free list, but I found mention that it had been discontinued. :( So, I need to get a new, gluten free version ANYWAY, it seems. :rolleyes:

Hi Knit,

I make a casserole that my family flips for, but I call it Baked Corn Grits. It is kind of a souffle without the fuss.

First I make the grits.....

3 cups milk

2 cups water

1 Tbs. butter

1 bay leaf

1/2 tsp. cayenne (or smoked paprika if you want it milder)

1/2 tsp. salt, or more to taste (smoked sea salt if you have it)

...bring up to a slow boil and whisk in...

1 cup quick (not instant) grits

...lower heat to a simmer and whisk until all liquid is absorbed but still loose, about 15-20 minutes. Remove from heat and add.....

8oz. grated extra sharp cheddar (I prefer Chipotle Cheddar if I can find it)

1 clove garlic, grated

1 can creamed corn

1 can sweet corn niblets, drained (sub frozen or fresh for these two, if you wish)

2 eggs, beaten

1/2 cup cream (or evaporated milk)

10 grinds of fresh black pepper

Pour into a buttered casserole and dot top with (YES!) a bit more butter. Bake at 350 degrees until golden brown and nicely puffed, about 35-45 minutes.

Sometimes I use stone-ground grits for more texture and once when the mixture seemed too watery, I whisked in 1/4 cup of corn meal and it tightened up nicely. I also sometimes add herbs. Basil is a wonderful flavor with corn.

This is an awesome side with pork roast, turkey or baked chicken.

We usually do Thanksgiving at my MIL's. She was interested but clueless when it came to the actual prep and cooking, so I just talk to her a few weeks before, we plan out the menu, she does most of the shopping and then I basically take over the kitchen when we arrive a few days before and get to work. She's always there helping and asking questions so at least she's making an effort.... THis year, I'm hosting-I like being in charge :P For Christmas, we always have a big feast Christmas eve and everything is pretty much naturally gluten-free (other than the rolls)--we do Costco ham without the glaze and veggies and casseroles galore, I always do the desserts anyway-my favorite :lol: Christmas day, we either do pizza or I throw everything for chili in the crockpot and mix up some Bob's Redmill cornbread-anything we can do to come out of the sugar coma from the day before ;)

To add some of the stuff we make--there's about 20 of us

Turkey

stuffing

mashed potatoes and turkey gravy

sweet potato casserole (w/ the marshmallows and nuts)

green salad

grandma's coleslaw

steamed veggies

pumpkin pie, whip cream

apple pie, ice cream

chocolate/caramel pecan pie, ice cream

cheesecake of some flavor

I try to drop a few pounds from now until then-it's an insane amount of good food! ;)

Hi Knit,

I make a casserole that my family flips for, but I call it Baked Corn Grits. It is kind of a souffle without the fuss.

First I make the grits.....

3 cups milk

2 cups water

1 Tbs. butter

1 bay leaf

1/2 tsp. cayenne (or smoked paprika if you want it milder)

1/2 tsp. salt, or more to taste (smoked sea salt if you have it)

...bring up to a slow boil and whisk in...

1 cup quick (not instant) grits

...lower heat to a simmer and whisk until all liquid is absorbed but still loose, about 15-20 minutes. Remove from heat and add.....

8oz. grated extra sharp cheddar (I prefer Chipotle Cheddar if I can find it)

1 clove garlic, grated

1 can creamed corn

1 can sweet corn niblets, drained (sub frozen or fresh for these two, if you wish)

2 eggs, beaten

1/2 cup cream (or evaporated milk)

10 grinds of fresh black pepper

Pour into a buttered casserole and dot top with (YES!) a bit more butter. Bake at 350 degrees until golden brown and nicely puffed, about 35-45 minutes.

Sometimes I use stone-ground grits for more texture and once when the mixture seemed too watery, I whisked in 1/4 cup of corn meal and it tightened up nicely. I also sometimes add herbs. Basil is a wonderful flavor with corn.

This is an awesome side with pork roast, turkey or baked chicken.

Oh great! That's essentially the SAME casserole that we make....except ours doesn't have corn. Just the grits, cheese, butter, milk, cayenne....etc. Oh thank you, thank you, thank you! I've never made it without the Kraft Garlic cheese...so I never knew ANY measurements.....I was going to just wing it....it probably would've tasted just AWFUL!!! :lol: Thanks...I'm printing the recipe right now! :D

Last year was my first gluten-free Thanksgiving. I was still not tollerating much, and my family said I was being "too difficult." After horrible fights I ended up staying at my house and inviting a few other people over who didn't have a place to go and we ended up having a FANTASTIC time.

I cooked all of my things first.

Gluten containing food was on a separate table.

We had a few vegans over, so people were very knowledgeable about ingredients and it worked out very very well.

I started hosting Thanksgiving at my house a few years ago when I realized that it was just too stressful for me to try to take all my own food and enjoy myself at someone else's house.

I have my little family of 6, my mom, my sister and her BF and usually several other friends. There are usually between 14 and 18 of us. Besides myself and 2 of my kids, no one else is gluten-free. But I make the entire dinner gluten-free and everyone enjoys it.

Here's my menu:

Turkey

Gravy - thickened with cornstarch or white rice flour

Stuffing - made with EnerG Foods brown rice loaf and homemade cornbread

Mashed red potatoes with skin - no butter or milk, just mashed with the cooking water and garlic

Homemade cranberry sauce

Yams sweetened with maple syrup and cinnamon

Green beans

Vegetable tray

Fruit salad

Rolls - Gluten Free Pantry Country French Bread and Pizza Mix baked in muffin tins, fresh from the oven as we sit down

Pumpkin pie - made with gluten-free crust and dairy free filling - using coconut milk and rice milk

And I do let my mom bring a "regular" pie and we serve it from a separate counter.

This will be my first gluten-free Thanksgiving also so i've really enjoyed reading everyone's posts....thanks hummingbird for posting! We've had some family gatherings since i've been gluten-free and i've just brought my own meat and brought 1 or 2 sides and it seemed to work out fine. The last gathering i made sure i was first in line and i'll try to do the same from now own. We have Christmas at our house Christmas Eve so i've got to start getting my menu together. There may be a few gluten containing dishes but i'll just sit those away from the gluten-free dishes. Great ideas on here!