• Join Our Community!

Do you have questions about celiac disease or the gluten-free diet?

Rate this topic

Hi!

I was diagnosed with celiac over one year ago and have been feeling pretty well. However, in the past week, I've gotten severe gastrointestinal symptoms that today have me staying in the house. The only difference in my diet is that I tried a new black tea. Can black tea (not flavored) contain gluten? I saw a nutritionist in NY that told me I would be ok with any plain tea or coffee? Any advice would be GREATLY appreciated!

Just as I thought...It is the tannins in the tea that are a GI irritant. Google:

tannins + tea + gastrointestinal

You will find lots of support for this.

It really shouldn't. Check the ingredients. I once had the same problem with a certain brand of black tea but couldn't ever figure out why.

Some tea companies use gluten in the manufacturing of certain flavored or herbal teas. In that case, there is a chance of cross contamination.

I stick with Stash teas--they don't use gluten in any of their teas.

Out of curiosity, which brand of tea gave you problems?

Thank you for the replies! The tea is an English brand PG tips. I had it in England a couple of years ago before my diagnosis and really liked it. I found it in the grocery store here, and thought it would be safe. It makes sense that it could be something in the manufacturing process. I tried to call the company but didn't get through.

I sent an email, but didn't hear back yet. I'm very strict with my diet and have been feeling great. This is the only new item that's been introduced in the last couple of days and yesterday I had two cups. Today I'm miserable so I'm taking it out of my diet and I'll see if I start feeling better. I know that I'm very very sensitive to gluten and have had severe reactions if I get even the slightest bit of gluten. I felt this way last holiday season when I had a flavored coffee (one I thought was gluten free, but maybe wasn't brewed correctly in the shop). I'm going to try the tea suggested and stick to ones where the company states it's gluten free.

It's amazing to me that I forgot how bad I could feel with the slightest bit of gluten in my system. Unfortunately I should have called and made sure before I tried something. It sometimes is so hard to keep checking when it seems like everyone around me can eat or drink what they want..............

Thanks again for the help!

Did you hear back from them, dinali63? Now that I look at the PG Tips bags again I am totally suspecting gluten from the glue used to seal them! I just sent an email and will post if I hear back.

I've been having some problems of late as well, and I recently have been drinking some of this tea, and a tea called Egyptian Licorice by brand Yogi Teas (delicious, by the way, assuming it is gluten-free, as other posts seem to indicate, at least according to the company...)

Thank you for the replies! The tea is an English brand PG tips. I had it in England a couple of years ago before my diagnosis and really liked it. I found it in the grocery store here, and thought it would be safe. It makes sense that it could be something in the manufacturing process. I tried to call the company but didn't get through.

I sent an email, but didn't hear back yet. I'm very strict with my diet and have been feeling great. This is the only new item that's been introduced in the last couple of days and yesterday I had two cups. Today I'm miserable so I'm taking it out of my diet and I'll see if I start feeling better. I know that I'm very very sensitive to gluten and have had severe reactions if I get even the slightest bit of gluten. I felt this way last holiday season when I had a flavored coffee (one I thought was gluten free, but maybe wasn't brewed correctly in the shop). I'm going to try the tea suggested and stick to ones where the company states it's gluten free.

It's amazing to me that I forgot how bad I could feel with the slightest bit of gluten in my system. Unfortunately I should have called and made sure before I tried something. It sometimes is so hard to keep checking when it seems like everyone around me can eat or drink what they want..............

Thanks again for the help!

Watch out for the celestial seasonings holiday teas!! A couple have barley in them, but at least CS will label their gluten-free teas as gluten-free right on the box.

Info from Yogi Teas:

Thank you for the email. Since we make cereal here also the chance for air-born cross contamination is 1 to 2 parts per billion. There are 4 teas in which barley malt is added. They are the Fasting Tea, Calming Tea, Kava Stress Relief Tea and the Stomach Ease Tea.

We use heat to seal the tea bags. No glue.

Best wishes,

V Crowley

Customer Service Representative

Golden Temple, Peace Cereal, Yogi Tea

Websites: www.peacecereal.com, www.yogitea.com

www.whaguruchew.com

I have yet to hear from PG Tips. I'm pretty sure I reacted to their tea...

Did you hear back from them, dinali63? Now that I look at the PG Tips bags again I am totally suspecting gluten from the glue used to seal them! I just sent an email and will post if I hear back.

I've been having some problems of late as well, and I recently have been drinking some of this tea, and a tea called Egyptian Licorice by brand Yogi Teas (delicious, by the way, assuming it is gluten-free, as other posts seem to indicate, at least according to the company...)

According to the manufacturer, PG Tips is gluten free:

Hello from PG tips!

Thank you for your recent email.

I can inform you that we do not use any glue in the process of sealing our

tea bags. Our tea bags are free from wheat, barley, rye and oats.

Please do not hesitate to contact us again in the future if you require any

further information or assistance.

Kind regards,

B Hirani

Careline Advisor

Unilever UK Limited

Registered in England & Wales; Company No 334527

Registered Office: Walton Court, Station Avenue, Walton-on-Thames, Surrey

KT12 1UP