• Join Our Community!

Do you have questions about celiac disease or the gluten-free diet?

Nutrifocus

Contribute Your Helpful Tips To Help Others!

Rate this topic

Hello!

I am a dietitian and am updating a book I wrote on gluten free diets. I would like to include tips from people who have celiac disease into the book so that those tips can help others with the same medical condition. These can be any type of tip that helps you get through your day easier as someone on a gluten free diet. It can be cooking, favorite food products, eating out, etc... Anything that makes your life easier that you would like to share with others so that they might make their life easier as well. I will add your name to your tip in the book!

THanks so much!

Kim Tessmer, RD LD

Simple thing to do. Cook extra and freeze it in plastic bags then plastic containers. Label them with food item and the date. Take out of the freezer, cut the bag open and plop it into a glass dish to microwave. No mess and fast. Rephrase it however you need to.

I've only been gluten-free for 9 days, but I've noticed such an amazing difference in how I feel that whenever I want something like real pasta or a non gluten-free beer, or just one bite of the grilled cheese sandwich I made for my 2 year old, I just remind myself of how far I've come already and how big of a setback that one bite or sip would be. So far, that has kept me completely on track.

Not really a food related tip, per se, but a coping tip, I guess!

Stacy

Likewise, not really a helpful tip, but I have convinced myself (and it actually is for me) that everything that contains gluten is a poison. My husband and I joke, look at that plate of cyanide or (arsenic). It has reached the point for me that I do not crave all the goodies I used to love, I find them revolting.

Likewise, not really a helpful tip, but I have convinced myself (and it actually is for me) that everything that contains gluten is a poison. My husband and I joke, look at that plate of cyanide or (arsenic). It has reached the point for me that I do not crave all the goodies I used to love, I find them revolting.

I was in the check out of whole foods and the person behind me had a clear plastic bag of a dozen bagels. I was actually disgusted by the sight which amazed me as I loved bread before my diagnosis. I wonder how many gluten-free people have cravings now vs. those that are repulsed by the forbidden foods.

Even thought there are gluten free noodles, etc... readily available. There are naturally gluten free products that can easily be substituted. ie: Use a roll of prepared polenta in place of lasagna noodles. Simply cut it in 1/4 inch slices and layer like noodles.

Good gluten free brands include: Tinkyada Pasta Joy; Kinnikinnick; Pamela's baking mixes; Chebe bread mixes; Laura's Gluten Free Rolled Oats

Triumph Dining Cards are invaluable when it comes to eating out. These laminated cards clearly list foods containing gluten, questionable foods, and safe foods. Better yet, these cards are cuisine specific and multilingual. All cards are written in both English and the native language of the specific cuisine.

Restaurants with gluten free menus include: Outback Steakhouse, Maggiano's, PF Chang's; Carabba's; Legal Seafood... to name a few

Experimentation is the key to finding products that fit your specific needs and tastes. Trial and error and learning to laugh at your mistakes are essential.

Forgot to add my tip that for a celiac who doesn't like to cook, having a rice cooker with a timer has been a life saver. I load it up in the morning and it is ready when I get home.

It used to be a problem when co-workers would invite me to lunch because they would invariably choose to go to a Japanese restaurant = bad news for a celiac when you're also allergic to seafood. I now keep wheat-free Tamari sauce in the fridge at work and bring it along to use on the salad and meats. The restaurants never protest. Likewise, when my family wants to eat Mexican food, I bring my own corn tortillas and gluten-free beer.

I am finding that often my savior is fruit.

If I'm stuck on the road or end up in a cafe, I can usually score a banana or apple. It seems like every gas station, Starbucks, and convenience store in my area has a few pieces of fruit for sale. It's something that I know is safe to eat, and it's good for me too :)

In restaurants I usually order some sort of meat without the sauce or pasta or whatever. Restaurants are noisy and waiters are often young and in a hurry. The best way to really make it clear to them is to ask for BARE NAKED chicken, or BARE NAKED pork. Usually they are embarrassed or they giggle but they do get the idea. Tell them to cook it in a separate pan and specify what oil they can use, if any. And give good tips, so they are nice to the next allergic/celiac person who comes in.