• Join Our Community!

Do you have questions about celiac disease or the gluten-free diet?

MNBeth

I Think I'll Opt Out Now... Can I Do That?

Rate this topic

(Yes, I know I can't opt out; just had that "this isn't what I signed up for" feeling.)

So here's the story. My 15 yo daughter has been wanting to go to Olive Garden, just to see what it's like. We don't usually go because my son and I are both celiac, and there aren't really options that would appeal to him. So today it was just my daughter and I, and we were sort of celebrating her birthday, so I took her there for lunch. I just had the garden salad, explained about the need for clean mixing bowls and all, and the server even decided on her own that the since the croutons were kept right next to the dressing container, she'd use dressing from packets for me instead.

Then, about an hour later I was walking into Target and, forgive me, thought I'd discreetly let slip a little gas. But it wasn't gas. I was completely stunned, mortified, and panicked! I hadn't felt the least bit sick, and had no idea that was coming.

Fortunately it wasn't much, I was fairly close to the bathroom, and I was able, then, to get home w/o further disasters and w/o anybody knowing. But YUUUUUUCK!

This doesn't usually happen to me, and even now I'm not entirely sure it's gluten. I still don't feel sick. (Just totally paranoid!) I'm sure I'm not done w/ the D, but I just feel rumbly, not ill.

It's maddening not knowing what's happening, whether it's gluten, or, if it is, how the next glutening is going to manifest itself. I've only been gluten-free about a year, and I feel like my reactions are less predictable than ever. I'm supposed to go on a 5-day school trip with my daughter in a couple of weeks, and I'd like to think I could get through the 12 hour bus ride w/o this kind of thing happening!

Sorry; just needed to say it, and who else am I gonna say that kind of thing to?!

Thanks for listening!

Make sure you pack plenty of your own food on that 5 day trip. Even if you mostly eat nuts and fruit brought from home. Canned tuna. Your own gluten-free crackers. Be prepared. Be very prepared. :o

My Mom actually has this happen fairly regularly. But refuses to look into Celiac or gluten-free. I used to have it happen now and again. You are right.....yuck!! But have not had it since gluten-free.

My gluten reactions have been less and less severe - but even so, they still take 15 hours to manifest. I've had the same "gas" issue, too.

Other foods give me the yukky feeling, gurgley bowels and unpredictable GI responses (being delicate here!) but not severe D as does gluten.

Re: your trip....If I were in your shoes, I'd take along all my own food - and supplement fruits and raw veggies at grocery stores. I did just this on a 2-week vacation. I only ate out at restaurants that had gluten-free menus, and then only toward the end of our trip. I wasn't about to ruin it with the big D. The only thing I missed was the gluten-free breads, but life can be lived without them.

I am definitely planning on bringing my own food. I'll have access to a P.F.Chang's and a Chik-fil-A a lot of the time, but I'm that's all I'm sure about so far. Still need to call the dinner theater, but I can watch the show w/o eating if they don't seem to get it. Otherwise, I'll be eating pretty weird all week, but I can live with that.

Sorry...what about packing extra clothes and wipes and sanitary pads...you never know?!?!

Sorry...what about packing extra clothes and wipes and sanitary pads...you never know?!?!

...and a few Ziplock bags and hope I won't need any of it!! Thanks.

(This makes me feel waaaay older than 41.)

If you tolerate immodium and don't have a problem with getting bound up you could take a single caplet in the morning as a prophylactic and keep a couple more in your purse just in case you need them later in the day. I wouldn't reccommend that on a regular basis but it would be a little extra insurance on the bus.

If you tolerate immodium and don't have a problem with getting bound up you could take a single caplet in the morning as a prophylactic and keep a couple more in your purse just in case you need them later in the day. I wouldn't reccommend that on a regular basis but it would be a little extra insurance on the bus.

This is a technique I've had to employ on a number of occasions. It does bind me up, but it's better than ruining all my pants.

This is a technique I've had to employ on a number of occasions. It does bind me up, but it's better than ruining all my pants.

Me too!

It makes me wonder what percentage of Immodium's annual sales are Celiac or Crohn's (my spouse took it every day for years) sufferers.

The other tip I have is: don't ever pass gas unless you're on the toilet! I have learned the hard way never to assume it's just gas.

Olive Garden: you didn't miss much --- as Italian food goes, their stuff is an American interpretation of Italian food (I'm Italian descent and lived with grandparents who were from Italy who cooked authentically)

(Yes, I know I can't opt out; just had that "this isn't what I signed up for" feeling.)

So here's the story. My 15 yo daughter has been wanting to go to Olive Garden, just to see what it's like. We don't usually go because my son and I are both celiac, and there aren't really options that would appeal to him. So today it was just my daughter and I, and we were sort of celebrating her birthday, so I took her there for lunch. I just had the garden salad, explained about the need for clean mixing bowls and all, and the server even decided on her own that the since the croutons were kept right next to the dressing container, she'd use dressing from packets for me instead.

Then, about an hour later I was walking into Target and, forgive me, thought I'd discreetly let slip a little gas. But it wasn't gas. I was completely stunned, mortified, and panicked! I hadn't felt the least bit sick, and had no idea that was coming.

Fortunately it wasn't much, I was fairly close to the bathroom, and I was able, then, to get home w/o further disasters and w/o anybody knowing. But YUUUUUUCK!

This doesn't usually happen to me, and even now I'm not entirely sure it's gluten. I still don't feel sick. (Just totally paranoid!) I'm sure I'm not done w/ the D, but I just feel rumbly, not ill.

It's maddening not knowing what's happening, whether it's gluten, or, if it is, how the next glutening is going to manifest itself. I've only been gluten-free about a year, and I feel like my reactions are less predictable than ever. I'm supposed to go on a 5-day school trip with my daughter in a couple of weeks, and I'd like to think I could get through the 12 hour bus ride w/o this kind of thing happening!

Sorry; just needed to say it, and who else am I gonna say that kind of thing to?!

Thanks for listening!

Olive Garden: you didn't miss much --- as Italian food goes, their stuff is an American interpretation of Italian food (I'm Italian descent and lived with grandparents who were from Italy who cooked authentically)

Oh, I know! I'm from the Chicago area, and we had wonderful Italian neighbors, and no end of great real Italian restaurants. I only went because my daughter's been wanting to go, it was her birthday, and it was a rare chance to go where she wanted - not where it works best for her gluten-free brother and I. I won't miss it a bit.

Oh, I know! I'm from the Chicago area, and we had wonderful Italian neighbors, and no end of great real Italian restaurants. I only went because my daughter's been wanting to go, it was her birthday, and it was a rare chance to go where she wanted - not where it works best for her gluten-free brother and I. I won't miss it a bit.

You know... I have alwas wondered what people thought was so great about the Olice Garden? I obviously can't eat it now but when I could I never wanted to go. People are too into chains these days. Give me a ma and pop hole in the wall with authentic food!! I grew up south of Chicago...that city is great for real food!