This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Newbie With 2 Yold Just Diag

mom2twoangels

mom2twoangels Apprentice

Hi,

My daughter has just been mostly diagnosed with celiac. Her blood work came back at 100 not sure what that means then referral to a ped GI. He did a scope on her today to confirm and he said it looks like it - but he won't be 100% sure until he gets the labs back. He was sure enough to have us start on a gluten free diet today. He made us feed her gluten the last couple of days for the testing.

I am kind of confused though as her pattern doesn't seem to follow some of the stories I see here. I have another child with Ige food allergies so I have always been very aware of what she was eating and what her reactions have been she has had food intolerances to Rice and Oat (basically she throws up if she eats them) I removed these from her diet before she was 1. She has always grown well slimmed down some from a pretty rounded baby to a regular sized toddler - ped said that was normal with more movement etc.

All of a sudden she started having very bad tummy troubles that came and went but contined to get worse over the last 5 weeks. A week prior to this my son and I had the stomach flu so I thought maybe that was the issue. But when she was still throwing up randomly a week later I took her to my ped who thought she might be constipated so we did xray / miralax for a week or so. Go back and she has quit throwing up but still more and more tummy pain and constipated off and on. Then the ped thought either one of about 7 things that she could test for by blood work or just reflux - we decided to try a reflux med for a week before doing the blood draw. She seemed better for several days after the appt so I delayed the meds. Then syptoms came back worse than ever started meds - but dr said it would take a week to work - so waited the week when it was still not helping we went for the blood draw. She was going down hill quite fast in my opinion she lost 1 1/2 pounds in just 2 weeks I though think that was a ton for a girl who only started out at 26 lbs. No energy at all, made me carry her etc. Does this seem normal or well normal for celiac to anyone?

I guess I am worried since today is our first day gluten free if this will really solve her problem she is so bony now and her tummy sticks out so much, bags under her eyes - it is hard to see in my child that was really 100% about a month ago. I am praying that this works.

Thanks for reading sorry it ended up so long

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Mother of Jibril Enthusiast

I think it's great that you're getting this checked out. I don't doubt that your daughter is having some food intolerance problems... hopefully she's going to feel a lot better within the next couple of days!

I just wanted to add another idea... could she be getting her two-year molars? My three-year-old is VERY active, but while her molars were coming in she was really clingy and irritable. :(

Darn210 Enthusiast

Thin limbs and distended tummy is a "classic" celiac toddler look. In fact, I had a couple of my daughter's doctors (NOT the one that diagnosed her) doubt her diagnosis because she didn't "look" like a celiac kid.

Everything that you've describe can be attributed to Celiac. Kids are quick healers. If this is her problem, and it sounds likely, she should bounce back quickly.

Welcome to the board. You've found a wonderful resource!! Ask lots of questions. There a lots of people here with years of experience to help and offer advice.

ShayFL Enthusiast

Yes, if it is Celiac you have caught it early and the gluten-free diet can turn her around quickly.

Just be aware that if she responds POS to the diet, a lot of doctors will then want to test, BUT because of the diet the test will come back NEG.

So if you want an official Dx she MUST continue to eat gluten and get a full celiac panel and a scope.

taweavmo3 Enthusiast

I don't think there's really any "typical" Celiac....we all have different stories, some kids deteriorate fast, some slow...some are totally symptom free but still have damage and come up with a positive diagnosis due to family history, short stature, anemia, or even a skin rash.

I feel like my dd is pretty much classic Celiac, but she still never had diarrhea or vomiting before she was diagnosed. She was always just so clingy and irritable, and since about 18 months she stopped gaining weight. Around age 2, her belly really started to protrude, she had thin arms and legs, and just looked unhealthy. She didn't get diagnosed until she was 3. It was only after being 100% gluten free for a few months that she started reacting stronly to gluten....now she vomits, gets D, runs a high fever, the whole gamut of symptoms. But other kids don't react strongly at all, each kid is SO different.

I hope you get some answers, and some response with the gluten free diet. I didn't realize how sick my dd was until she went gluten free...it was like I was getting to really know my child after 3 years. It's amazing when you see them get well and feel good for the first time in a long time.

Gotta run, kids are throwing water out of the tub, lol. Hope that helps, you came to a great place for help!

saraphym Newbie

It does sound like some sort of intolerance to something in her diet. My son (3) was diagnosed a few days ago as well. I took him in for his 3-year-old check up and they did a blood draw right then. He has always been very pale with sparse hair and low weight, but I always attributed that to his Ectodermal Dysplasia, so when they said that they wanted to test him for Celiac, I was a little surprised. Still, they were very cautious and wanted to make sure and check him out thoroughly (ED is rare and they are pretty awed / careful with him - LOL)

I wonder why the blood test isn't a more common approach, though? Maybe I don't know all the particulars, being new to this as well, but it seems to me that if there were any question at all, they could do the test, right?

Anyway, you know your kid better than anyone, and they are all different, as said previously. My advice would be to just ask lots of questions, and do what you think is right for your child. You are the expert on your kid, so do what you think is right for her and you can't go wrong!

Lots of luck - keep us posted!

mom2twoangels Apprentice

I wanted to say thanks for all your comments and encouragement. We are starting day 4 of Gluten free (she had her scope on Friday) and she does seem slightly better. Her tummy seems slightly less distended she seems to be playing a bit on her own vs. being held all the time and eating a bit more. I am still waiting on the call with the test results, but wanted to say thank you to everyone. My shopping expiditions have been quite a challenge and I will probably post a couple of questions on the product forum.

Thanks!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Archived