• Join Our Community!

Do you have questions about celiac disease or the gluten-free diet?

Ken70

Vitamin D And Your Gut

Rate this topic

http://www.boston.com/news/health/articles...ostPop_Emailed2

I saw this article this morning and wanted to share it with you.

Part of my recovery has been regular exposure to the sun. I can't explain why but I believe that it has a soothing effect on my gut. This article doesn't provide any new information but at least it connects the dots between autoimmune issues and vitamin D deficiency.

Enjoy!

Part of my recovery has been regular exposure to the sun. I can't explain why but I believe that it has a soothing effect on my gut. This article doesn't provide any new information but at least it connects the dots between autoimmune issues and vitamin D deficiency.

Enjoy!

Nice, thanks! One of the best things my doctor did for my well being and autoimmune disease was to diagnose my vitamin D deficiency!

Susan

Enjoy!

That's interesting Ken. Apprently a Vit D deficiency may be behind diabetes - as I am diabetic I will be doing a bit more research on this.

Thanks for the info.

This is interesting. I've been taking a nutritional science class lately, and my teacher keeps stressing milk because of vitamin D. I can't handle milk though. She talked about problems with rickets as people get more paranoid about sun exposure. As a result, I stopped wearing sunblock when I run. It's just one hour, and it's early morning 8:00 am sun. I still wear sunblock when I go out for a while in the bright sun, but I've really been conscious about my vitamin D lately.

There are millions of people who work and live in the sun all day, every day, for the whole of their lives without any hint of cancer - there must be something else going on.

As skin cancer is something that seems to be prevalent, yet again, amongst those who ingest the 'western' diet, you have to wonder if the high-carb, high-sugar doesn't unbalance our bodies to the point that cancer becomes an issue.

Strange that, although people expose most of their body to the sun generally, the cancer is usually confined to just a relatively small area. I mean, if say the whole of both arms are exposed to the sun, why doesn't the whole of that skin area become cancerous?

It does beg the question - what if it isn't the sun that is the problem at all? What if it is due to a diet full of 'empty' calories and nutrient-deficient 'foodlike' substances that render the consumers deficient in vital life-supporting elements?

If we don't get enough vitamin D, that in itself could contribute to Cancer amongst other things.

You are correct about diet and cancer - I believe there is a link. You can find plenty of supporting evidence about this and it's relation to the sun on the mercola website.

Couple diet with the way we accidentally expose ourselves to too much sun and get burned and I think that is where you get skin cancer. The trick is to ease into the sun with limited but sunscreen free exposure until you can spend more time in the sun without getting burned. As a result of my change in diet I don't get burned anywhere near as easily. There is also a theory that sunglasses block the pituitary glands response to sun exposure thereby reducing the melanocytes that release melonin which is the stuff that makes your skin dark and protects you from further damage by the sun.

This should be intuitive but us Northern Europeans are very light in color because we desperately need the benefits of sun exposure....

I read the article yesterday on Yahoo health news and today worked in the garden in my Vitamin D suit (we have a very private garden).

Diagnosing and treating my vitamin D deficiency has been a huge help to me. If you are very deficient, sun exposure won't be enough to bring the levels back up but it will help. Vit D levels in milk are very low, so you'd have to drink 20 cups a day is what I recall...

I recommend to all to have a blood level drawn, and then treat to bring up to current therapeutic levels (be sure your doctor isn't using the old levels--many labs still are).

Also check out www.vitamindcouncil.com about vitaminD and all kinds of health issues, including autism.

nora

I read the article yesterday on Yahoo health news and today worked in the garden in my Vitamin D suit (we have a very private garden).

Vitamin D suit - That's very funny :D

You are correct about diet and cancer - I believe there is a link. You can find plenty of supporting evidence about this and it's relation to the sun on the mercola website.

Couple diet with the way we accidentally expose ourselves to too much sun and get burned and I think that is where you get skin cancer. The trick is to ease into the sun with limited but sunscreen free exposure until you can spend more time in the sun without getting burned. As a result of my change in diet I don't get burned anywhere near as easily. There is also a theory that sunglasses block the pituitary glands response to sun exposure thereby reducing the melanocytes that release melonin which is the stuff that makes your skin dark and protects you from further damage by the sun.

This should be intuitive but us Northern Europeans are very light in color because we desperately need the benefits of sun exposure....

I would think that wearing sunglasses must undoubtedly cause some restriction in the manufacture of vitamin D within the eyes.

We must be VERY deficient in D as, not that we have much of one to start with, but we have had virtually no summer at all this year here in the UK. I am now working my way through the cod liver oil capsules and having mackerel for lunch to see if I feel any better for it.

Diagnosing and treating my vitamin D deficiency has been a huge help to me. If you are very deficient, sun exposure won't be enough to bring the levels back up but it will help. Vit D levels in milk are very low, so you'd have to drink 20 cups a day is what I recall...

Actually, it's much easier to get enough from the sun than it is from foods for people who have lighter skin. Melanin makes a huge difference though.

Actually, it's much easier to get enough from the sun than it is from foods for people who have lighter skin. Melanin makes a huge difference though.

It depends on why you are deficient though. I have to blast myself with a lot of vitamin D supplements to get my levels up. The sun just doesn't do it for me for some reason and you are right, I can't get it just from food either. It might be because my hashimoto's autoimmune disorder.

There was a study on cancer where they took rats, and put them in cages exposed to UV all day. They fed one group a healthy diet, and the other group got junk food. As I recall, all the rats eating junk food got cancer. None of the others got cancer.

There's that saying: 'You are what you eat'

I have lived in Florida (The Sunshine State) for 37 years....nearly all my life. With the exception of a day at the beach here and there, I have NEVER worn sunscreen. I dont wear foundation. My skin cream does not have UV protection. I am fair skinned. Not like a red headed Irish girl, but very light indeed. And my skin looks better and younger than a lot of women my age who "do everything right". I have some brown spots.....sure and I am starting to get a few wrinkles around the eyes. But my skin is just fine. No cancer.

I have always believed that sunscreen was bunk! It is good to protect yourself from burning in the case of all day exposure at the beach (if you are not used to it) but for day to day wear it is counter productive.

We NEED the sun!!

I got vitamin D deficient even though I live in FL and dont wear sunscreen. Some argue that it is the chicken before the egg. The disease causes the deficiency. Some thing the deficiency causes the disease. Either way, I believe it is good to get the levels back up and try to maintain it.

I am spending MUCH more time outside now that I got my levels up to normal. :)