This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Pictures, Avitars, Photos

Guest Libbyk

jenvan Collaborator

nice shot--what type of flowers are they?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 284
  • Created
  • Last Reply
nikki-uk Enthusiast

The flowers are called 'morning glory'.

These grew in my garden in the summer(yes,it's took me that long to work out the digital camera!).

The flowers only open in the morning(hence the name)-and judging from 'jersey angel's' post you grow them in the US too!

Been tinkering with the computer for hours!Got there in the end :)

jerseyangel Proficient

If you don't mind my asking, nikki, where are you from?

Jen--The ones I have growing on my fence keep coming back every year. My backyard gets the AM sun, and they are so pretty on the mornings that they open.

nikki-uk Enthusiast

Hi,I'm from East London inUK.

Getting off topic now but after the flowers have died down save the seeds and plant them in spring.

They grow like wildflower!

Guest Viola

Nikki, very nice shot! Morning Glory grows here in Canada as well ... They grow wild on the coast, but here inland, you need to plant them each year. I do love them though. Once did a quilt project with morning glories. Maybe I'll reduce the picture down and post it in my avatar for awhile.

Guest Viola

Okay, I've up-dated my avatar to my blue jay with morning glories and sweetpeas. It's done with applique and embroidery.

jerseyangel Proficient

Wow Shirley--you are very talented! That is beautiful work--you say it's a quilt? I like to do needlepoint, but haven't in a while.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

nikki-uk Enthusiast
Okay, I've up-dated my avatar to my blue jay with morning glories and sweetpeas. It's done with applique and embroidery.

I can't see your new avatar yet!?

Do I have to log off/on?

Looking forward to seeing your embroidery!

I should have started a thread on non-celiac topic-'what's the best flower you grow!'

Guest Viola

It started out as a quilt with the main theme being local birds sitting and flying through vines of morning glories and sweetpeas. However I used a sheet (light blue) as a back ground fabric and the sheet is 350 thread count, which makes it too hard to quilt through. At the moment it's just sitting in my sewing room, but I think I will cut out sections like this blue bird and stretch them and frame them rather than try and finish it as a quilt.

Patti, I love needle point, I've only done one myself, but really admire people who can do that. Good for you.

Nikki, I think if you press F5 on your keyboard it should work. I think the best flower we grow is either Lupines or Foxglove (Digitalis) and that's only because the deer don't eat them. :lol: We have a real deer problem in this area, they are all over the place and even jump in the fences around my shrub beds and eat all the lillies and roses and anything else we try and grow.

nikki-uk Enthusiast

I can see it now Viola!,it really is lovely!

I wish I had the patience for any needle work.

Perhaps when the kids are older I will have more time (& patience)! :)

I imagine you live in a big open space to have deer roaming in your garden(eating your plants),sounds beautiful,I have always wanted to go to Canada.

Here in my tiny garden in the outskirts of London my main pest at the moment is the grey squirrels that keep digging up the bulbs I have planted for the spring!

Funny enough I tried to grow some foxglove in my garden this summer from seed,but it didn't come up.

I'll try again this year.

I can't wait until it starts to warm up and I can get out in the garden.

jerseyangel Proficient

Nikki--you could also try the refresh button if that dosen't work.

Guest Viola

We live on almost 6 acres, which is attached to a golf course on one side, a small provincial park (mostly ball park and community hall, with about 5 acres of land) on another side and the highway along the long side. Our six acres is pretty much a triangle shape, but we are about 45 minutes drive to the nearest town, although there are a couple of villages closer. The deer are pretty to look at, but frustrating, and very expensive as they distroy whole gardens and fruit trees. Even in the winter the bucks will strip the bark off of young trees trying to scrape the velvet off of the antlers. We have to cage and fence everything, which of course takes away a lot of prettiness from the landscaping with all this wire around. I have one picture that shows 7 deer beside the shed, and there were three more I couldn't get into the picture as they weren't close enough together. Sheba chases them, and they chase Sheba, it's quite funny. I always think that they make a good personal trainer for excercising the dog. :lol:

It's funny that you had trouble getting the fox glove to grow. I believe they really are a part of the English garden. We have to be careful here that they don't spread to the fields as they are poisonous to live stock. We don't have any horses etc. anymore, but we really don't want it to get out of hand anyway. Beautiful plants though!

I forgot .. if you can lay down moth balls around where you plant your bulbs, it should slow those squirrels down. The moth balls tend to mask the smell of the bulbs.

jerseyangel Proficient

Both of your settings sound lovley. I live in a neighborhood with homes on both sides, but my back yard ends at a large cornfield where the farmer grows only feed corn. Right now, of course, the field is bare and is often full of geese--stopping for seeds, or deer. A couple of weeks ago, I counted 12 of them out there. Luckily, our yard is fenced, so they can't do any damage to any plants.

Guest Viola

Patti, it sounds like you have the best of both worlds ... neighbours to visit with and lots of room to see the wild life :D

nikki-uk Enthusiast
I forgot .. if you can lay down moth balls around where you plant your bulbs, it should slow those squirrels down. The moth balls tend to mask the smell of the bulbs.

Thanks for the tip about the bulbs!

Your dog sounds as if she has a great life,running around in all that land!

45 mins to the nearest town!!Now that sounds remote to me-I've always been a 'townie'!

Guest Viola

Nikki, we just spent over a week in town over Christmas visiting my family. It was really fun, but I would have a hard time having neighbours so close again I think. You have to remember to close curtains etc. and Sheba says there isn't enough long grass and bush for a little girl dog to go the bathroom in :lol: She doesn't like going on the lawn and going on pavement would be like going on a floor ... and she's a good clean country dog :D

And of course there is always traffic noises and so much light you can hardly see if the stars are shining, let alone look for sattalites and shooting stars.

But fun for a visit, you can walk to stores and window shop and visit old friends.

Guest BERNESES

I love it- I'm trying my new one out in this post. We'll see how it goes.

nikki-uk Enthusiast

I'm not seeing a new picture yet-again!

It's still your wedding photo(It is your wedding isn't it?)

Silver-naki Rookie
If you mean your "personal photo," don't continue trying :) ; this board and most of a similar format have that option turned off--the only photo you can edit here is your avatar, which you obviously know how to work.

Yo celiac3270.....

I'm trying to get accustomed to the CONTROL PANEL on the Forum board here, & it is really different... dang! Anyway, trying to edit my signature, colors, sizes, and also my Avitar. Of course, I'm stuck using a friendly little picture "clip" here, instead of a real PHOTO, due to the fact, my Photo SIZE is toooooo LARGE, & they won't accept it. But..... yet they say they can "down-size" it for a person? What's up with that? Any suggestions????? I'm not too swift with "editing" some of my personal Photos I have stored in my Computer, because I've never truly learned how--- {especially to down-size} plus, I have a brand-new Scanner & Printer, in which I'm still trying to learn to operate.

Laugh! --- > I'm NOT a "dummy" here, just not quite into the "Techno-Hell" with these Computers & all nowadays! HELP!!!!!!!!!! Thanks!

Look at what a MESS I made of my Control page!!!!!! Laugh!! (back to the drawing board!!)

grantschoep Contributor

Downsizing your photo can be easy. If you have the right software. It ends up mattering to what OS, or in Windows case, what version. I think most windows have Microsoft Photo Editor. You can open the picture with that. Sometimes, just resaving it with its settings for jpg's reduce's enough. As many camera's and the like save the jpg witihout any compression.

If that isn't enough, you can also "resize" the image. Which is an option from the tool bar. Make it smaller.

Silver-naki Rookie

Downsizing your photo can be easy. If you have the right software. It ends up mattering to what OS, or in Windows case, what version.]

Hey Grants!

THANKS for the info here!! I think I got it!!! I'm running Windows XP on my machine here, & I just had to go in and play around with some of my options. I know I still haven't learned to do what I need to do correctly, but at least I'm getting somewhere! I've got all the right Software, etc; --- > it's just the person on the other end of it, that don't know what they're doing! {Me!!!!!!!!!!} Laugh! :P

Thanks for the tips, & also your help! Cheers!

DragonQueen Explorer

I noticed that my old avatar won't show anymore, I don't know why that is? I want to get a new avatar but when I use this site to upload it an error always pops up! How do I get my avatar uploaded??? :huh:

Silver-naki Rookie
I noticed that my old avatar won't show anymore, I don't know why that is? I want to get a new avatar but when I use this site to upload it an error always pops up! How do I get my avatar uploaded??? :huh:

Hey Dragon~

I'm too darn NEW in the Forum here, and still getting use to the features on the Board to truly be of much help, but I had the same problem. I have no clue what might have happened to your old Avatar, but I got the "error" message when I was trying to upload as well. My PHOTO file SIZES were too big, & I had to go back into the Photos in my Computer and "re-size" before the Avatar function would "accept" a Photo. This took me quite a few days to figure out, but I finally got a Photo down-sized small enough, to where it would take it. I'm NOT good at editing my own Photos even, so this was quite a "feat" for me to get figured out.

Maybe somebody else will jump on the Forum here & help you out some..... Wish I had more advice for you... dang! Hope you are able to get an Avatar to go thru!

DragonQueen Explorer

Thanx

Ill try that. Hmmmm now where is that little button that says resize at?? :unsure:

Silver-naki Rookie
Thanx

Ill try that. Hmmmm now where is that little button that says resize at?? :unsure:

Hey Dragon....

I'm no "Techno-Wizard" here or anything, but when you get into the photos on your Computer, and can't seem to figure out where the resize "button" is, try to convert your original picture into a .webp and re-do the picture. Go from there, and see if you can get it to upload into the Avatar setting. Don't ask me how I did mine, because I don't remember, & don't think I could do it twice!!!! Laugh!!!!!! :D Somehow, I converted my photo into a .webp size, just by "monkeying-around" with it!!! :lol:

Good Luck! Hope it all works out!!!

Archived