• Join Our Community!

Do you have questions about celiac disease or the gluten-free diet?

Rate this topic

Hubby was recently diagnosed with wheat intolerance we think. His doctor told him to stay away from wheat/gluten products and see how his symptoms change. He has been doing really well with it for about 2 months now. There isn't anyone around us that has to deal with this as well. So we both have many questions.

If by chance he consumes any wheat/gluten several hours after the fact his stomach starts "talking" or gurgling. Then he starts burping a fowl smell and taste. I would compare it to a cross between rotten eggs and dog poo. Shortly after the burping starts, the gas starts. And the gas smell is god awful. About an hour after this, the cramping in his stomach starts. Sometimes so bad it brings him to his knees. Then soon after the bathroom trips begin. It starts out solid at first and then gets to be like a faucet. It eventually gets so bad he can barely move.

This lasts anywhere from 2-4 days. It subsides and then he is fine for a few days. Once the taste in his mouth goes away, the gas and diarrhea goes away too.

If anyone can relate to this or has some of the same problems please let us know. We would really like to know he is not the only one out there.

Thanks

He is MOST DEFINITELY NOT ALONE!!

Was he tested for Celiac? Or just assumed gluten intolerant? The longer he is gluten-free the less likely subsequent tests will show Celiac. Just so you know. If he wants a Dx, he will need to eat gluten and get the proper tests.

The results are the same either way....100% gluten-free diet for life.

yep, those symptoms sound exactly like my life for the 10 years leading up to going Gluten Free! I don't normally burp though...it's all downstairs for me LOL!

I had that plus chronic headaches (also went away on the diet)

So is he on the diet now? There's lots of advice on this site on how to find hidden sources of gluten in your diet and household.

welcome to the site, and you are definitely not alone!

Thanks for the information, do you also have chronic acid reflux? We believe his doctor did a celiac panel blood test. Once he quit eating it, all his symptoms disappeared unless he by chance finds some on accident.

It is an ongoing battle. We are both learning from experience and trial and error.

Thanks for the information, do you also have chronic acid reflux? We believe his doctor did a celiac panel blood test. Once he quit eating it, all his symptoms disappeared unless he by chance finds some on accident.

It is an ongoing battle. We are both learning from experience and trial and error.

I personally don't have reflux, but one thing you will learn quickly about these disorders is that they affect everyone a little differently!

Trial and error goes for everybody - what works for one person may not for another.

Keep at it, and it's so awesome that he's feeling better!

Hi tazz,

Get a copy of the blood work that they ran and post it here. We can interpret his results. Many of us have found that our doctors are not as knowledgeable as we would like regarding Celiac and it's associated ills.

Reflux is very common with Celiac Disease and gluten intolerance. Once he is gluten free for some time, his reflex should subside.

But a word of caution. Gluten can be very tricky and hide it in the strangest places. Please make sure that your has a dedicated toaster for his gluten free bread. Check your scratches pots and pans, wooden cutting boards, wooden mixing spoons, lotions, shampoo, meds, vitamines and YOUR lipstick.

If indeed, he does have Celiac or a gluten intolerance the only cure is a total gluten free lifestyle.

Lots of good people here to help with your questions. Feel free.

Hi tazz,

Get a copy of the blood work that they ran and post it here. We can interpret his results. Many of us have found that our doctors are not as knowledgeable as we would like regarding Celiac and it's associated ills.

Reflux is very common with Celiac Disease and gluten intolerance. Once he is gluten free for some time, his reflex should subside.

But a word of caution. Gluten can be very tricky and hide it in the strangest places. Please make sure that your has a dedicated toaster for his gluten free bread. Check your scratches pots and pans, wooden cutting boards, wooden mixing spoons, lotions, shampoo, meds, vitamines and YOUR lipstick.

If indeed, he does have Celiac or a gluten intolerance the only cure is a total gluten free lifestyle.

Lots of good people here to help with your questions. Feel free.

Check everything everywhere. We just realized our Suave hairspray has wheat and wheat starch. That stuff goes airborn, not good. I threw it out. I wasn't even THINKING about hairspray. And spray starch, and bubble bath. It's in everything. Those wheat farmers really marketed their product well........

Wow - hairspray? Can we really react to that? I hadn't even thought about non-food items. I'm having a hard enough time convincing my hubby that yes, I may have reacted to Thanksgiving dinner because he cooked with brown sugar that once had a slice of bread in it (for freshness).

I have a bit of OCD, so I'm really trying to be careful with gluten but not get crazy with it. Does everyone avoid gluten in non food items too?

I just avoid the obvious things: anything that goes on my lips or face or hands (including chap stick, lotion and shampoo. I dont worry about anything else really. I give the hairspray a cursory glance to make sure it doesnt say WHEAT anywhere. Usually it is just a bunch of chemicals anyway.