Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Carol Davis

Salad Dressings

Hi everyone,

I am new tonight to the Forum. I was diagnosed in Oct. after a blood test. I have had no symptoms of celiac. I am interested in making my own salad dressings and wondered if any of you make your own. I have bought Cowgirl Ranch from Whole Foods in individual packets to carry with me but would like to make different dressings to use at home. I look forward to hearing from any of you.

Thank you,

Square Dancing Carol

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

I'd investigate the cook books you have around the house. Salad dressings are as limited as your imagination, and I'm not sure that I've bought one (excluding while on travel) in ages.

What kinds of salad dressings are you interested in? (I'm a balsamic vinaigrette - and other assorted vinaigrettes - girl myself...)

There are a couple of basic recipes we use around here a lot. One is a ranch that can be adjusted like they do in the stores with all kinds of additions. The other is a basic wine and vinegar French that can also become a good poppy seed type. They are really simple and can be mixed in a pint jar and shaken just prior to use. Both are better when they have had time in the fridge to allow the flavors to mix.

Ranch:

Stir together one cup of mayonnaise and 1/2 cup of buttermilk until smooth. Adjust thickness if necessary by adding a little more buttermilk. Season with salt, pepper, onion, garlic, and parsley to taste. You can also add celery seed or parmesan cheese for a change of pace.

French:

Stir together 1/4 tsp xanthan gum, 1/4 cup vinegar (flavors are okay according to your tastes) and 1/2 cup EVOO. Season with paprika, salt, and pepper. Add confectioners sugar to taste. Some like it really sweet and thick, others prefer almost a simple wine and vinegar flavor. You can also adjust the proportions to your personal preferences. If you like poppy seed dressing, add the seeds for that as well.

Here's one I made for dinner last night that turned out yummy:

one serving

1/2 cup nonfat plain yogurt

2 teaspoons dijon mustard

1 tablespoon rice vinegar

dash wochestershire sauce

basil

oregano

black pepper

btw- I use Dannon plain nonfat yogurt, but all their other flavored ones are not officiall gluten-free; the mustard was grey poupon; the wo sauce was Lea&Perrins

Pam

If you have the Joy of Cooking cookbook the blue cheese dressing recipe in there is better than any commercial dressing I've had.

richard

I forgot tomention that you can add a tablespoon or two of tomato sauce to the French if your family likes the tomato flavor and color.