• Join Our Community!

Do you have questions about celiac disease or the gluten-free diet?

kim:)

You Never Know What All Has Wheat!

Rate this topic

So I have been on the gluten-free diet for the longest time (well that it seems), really only 4 years. And so last week the weirdest thing happend. I kept on getting sick and sick and sick. I was eating everthing that I have before, and was checking ingredients in random things right and left. Well after being sick for about 6 days I was on a mission to find out what I was getting sick from. Well in the shower one day I was reading my newly opend shampoo bottle and came across wheat protein in the ingredient list! I had to laugh because who knew that shampoo would be thickend with wheat?! I usualy dont react with touching wheat and all, but since It was my hair, it was getting soaking into my scalp and entering my body. Haha so I just thought I would share that because apparently you must read everything that you dont know for sure already doesnt have wheat!

Oh man! I hope you get to feeling better soon!

That's actually one of the first things I learned to look for... but that's because my grandma was diagnosed with celiac ages ago and warned me. I promptly donated all of my shampoos, conditioners, lotions, self tanners, and makeup with gluten to my mom and my sister. I had to replace almost everything straight off the bat!

Even oats in lotion make me react, so I've been particularly careful with this stuff. I think the reason I had so much gluteny product to begin with is that I have eczema, and my doctor suggested using natural fragrance and color free products. It still helps me to be "natural" still, so I'm really limited in what I can use. I feel like nearly all the natural stuff has gluten in it.

So I have been on the gluten-free diet for the longest time (well that it seems), really only 4 years. And so last week the weirdest thing happend. I kept on getting sick and sick and sick. I was eating everthing that I have before, and was checking ingredients in random things right and left. Well after being sick for about 6 days I was on a mission to find out what I was getting sick from. Well in the shower one day I was reading my newly opend shampoo bottle and came across wheat protein in the ingredient list! I had to laugh because who knew that shampoo would be thickend with wheat?! I usualy dont react with touching wheat and all, but since It was my hair, it was getting soaking into my scalp and entering my body. Haha so I just thought I would share that because apparently you must read everything that you dont know for sure already doesnt have wheat!

Shampoo gets a lot of people. You were probably getting some in your mouth somehow. I had a shampoo I didn't know had wheat in it, kept getting the itchy rash all over. I never ingested it, or I would've gotten quite sick, but it sure made me itchy! That's the worst when it's your ears and you wear glasses..........

It wasn't soaking through your scalp. Shampoo doesn't do that and neither does gluten. You were accidentally getting some in your mouth.

richard

Hi Richard:

Could you clarify or add some more detail about your shampoo answer?

I just recently was diagnosed with celiac disease (blood, genetic test, biopsy). I had/have no symptoms other than intestinal damage via biopsy - no stomach issues, bloating, cramps, nothing. I'm totally asymptomatic. But I have started the gluten-free diet and am now into my third week. To be honest I don't notice any difference whatsoever, but I know it's good for my immune system so I will remain on the diet. I think I am very lucky.

When I first began to research this disease I found many, many, many sites and forums advising that I should avoid all shampoos, lotions, etc. Basically avoid getting anything on my skin. Then I read a doctor who scoffed and said you needn't worry unless you're eating the stuff! I'm a bit confused as I guess many are when they first start this diet. It's difficult to know how far to take it. Some people never eat out, others eat one crumb and have instant reaction. I don't understand how you can order off the gluten-free menu at a normal restaurant - wouldn't there be airborn flour in the kitchen - couldn't the waiters accidentally pick up a crumb - don't they wipe the tables down with a cloth that previously wiped away crumbs? These are the questions that vex me. I was advised not to eat in my cafeteria because they also do some baking in the area; I was told I would get cross-contamination from airborn flour. Then I read elsewhere that flour remains airborn for 24 hours anyway. Then I read that even gluten-free products contain gluten! Apparently, even those on a completely gluten-free diet are ingesting gluten everyday as it is unavoidable.

Are there any common sense guidelines that don't go to such extremes? Can I safely eat out and order off a gluten-free menu at a normal restaurant? Can I walk into a bakery? I understand that others are not like me so I don't intend to offend. I just want to do what is right for me.

About the eating out question, it is better to start a new thread as it just drowns here I think.

A lot has been written about shampoos and lotions and stuff, that a lot of it goes into your body. There have been several items on the tv here some years ago, and articles in the news. Scientists labeled cosmetics with radioactivity and lo and behold a lot got absorbed into the body. They gave anumber as to how many kg we get in how many years.

There have been lots of postings from people who discovered they got ill from glutan in cosmetics, and finally got better when they changed products. They did not eat the stuff.

nora

It wasn't soaking through your scalp. Shampoo doesn't do that and neither does gluten. You were accidentally getting some in your mouth.

richard

It is simply too easy to get things that are on your hair and skin in your mouth. Have you ever seen the test where they dye someone's hands with dye that only shows up in blacklight, and then they go through their day, and then they get lit up by the blacklight and it's all over them, especially their noses and mouths? People touch themselves CONSTANTLY, it's nigh impossible to avoid. And in the shower, with water spraying everywhere, your mouth is open all the time.... It's just not a wise thing to do.

I personally have a skin-only reaction to gluten touching my skin, it is not an internal auto-immune reaction. So I suppose I may have an allergy, but whatever the technical term for it, I wear gloves at work when I have to touch muffins, and I don't use health&beauty stuff that has gluten. It's so simple to avoid products that have gluten (for most of us) that it just doesn't make sense to take the risk.

Oh man! I hope you get to feeling better soon!

That's actually one of the first things I learned to look for... but that's because my grandma was diagnosed with celiac ages ago and warned me. I promptly donated all of my shampoos, conditioners, lotions, self tanners, and makeup with gluten to my mom and my sister. I had to replace almost everything straight off the bat!

Even oats in lotion make me react, so I've been particularly careful with this stuff. I think the reason I had so much gluteny product to begin with is that I have eczema, and my doctor suggested using natural fragrance and color free products. It still helps me to be "natural" still, so I'm really limited in what I can use. I feel like nearly all the natural stuff has gluten in it.

Hi

This is what I learned:

1) Fragrance free has no perfumes in it at all

2) Unscented has a "masking" agent which could have gluten in it

3) Fragrance free shampoos could have wheat in it as I learned from

my mistake. I purchased Earth Science brand of fragrance free shampoo

and it contains Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein. I purchased over internet

and didn't click on the ingredients statement because I figured all

fragrance free shampoos are gluten-free.

However this brand of fragrance free shampoo is gluten-free

DHS Clear Shampoo

made by Person & Covey, Inc. of Glendale CA

www.personandcovey.com

Hi

This is what I learned:

1) Fragrance free has no perfumes in it at all

2) Unscented has a "masking" agent which could have gluten in it

3) Fragrance free shampoos could have wheat in it as I learned from

my mistake. I purchased Earth Science brand of fragrance free shampoo

and it contains Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein. I purchased over internet

and didn't click on the ingredients statement because I figured all

fragrance free shampoos are gluten-free.

However this brand of fragrance free shampoo is gluten-free

DHS Clear Shampoo

made by Person & Covey, Inc. of Glendale CA

www.personandcovey.com

I usually use Giovanni for haircare products... Tea Tree Triple Threat Shampoo and Smooth as Silk Deeper Moisture Conditioner are my favorites. My favorite lotion is Desert Essence Coconut stuff. My soap is Dr. Bronner's liquid, which is based on organic oils. I usually don't stray far from these products, as they work well and I haven't had any issues. My dermatologist was mainly concerned about the sulphates, colors, and heavy fragrances in traditional shampoos, conditioners, and body washes. A little bit of fragrance doesn't cause my trouble, but even the so called "moisturizing" body washes you can buy at most stores are really, really drying.

Now that my diet is better, my skin has improved a lot, too, so I compromise a bit for my hair products like hairspray and and texturizer. Those have fragrances, but are gluten free. It's just too difficult to find good quality hair products that are completely color, fragrance, and gluten free. Color and fragrance are the lesser of the evils to me, especially because in professional products I find that these are lower on the ingredient list anyway.

I just know that I tend to be really careless about what I touch and put in my mouth, so I don't want to worry about accidentally glutening myself because I got hair in my mouth that I had washed with gluteny shampoo, or stuck my fingers on my lips after lotioning up with gluteny lotions. NOT worth the risk for me. That and since my skin is very sensitive already, I really just dont want to risk getting a topical reaction.

Hi Richard:

Could you clarify or add some more detail about your shampoo answer?

I just recently was diagnosed with celiac disease (blood, genetic test, biopsy). I had/have no symptoms other than intestinal damage via biopsy - no stomach issues, bloating, cramps, nothing. I'm totally asymptomatic. But I have started the gluten-free diet and am now into my third week. To be honest I don't notice any difference whatsoever, but I know it's good for my immune system so I will remain on the diet. I think I am very lucky.

When I first began to research this disease I found many, many, many sites and forums advising that I should avoid all shampoos, lotions, etc. Basically avoid getting anything on my skin. Then I read a doctor who scoffed and said you needn't worry unless you're eating the stuff! I'm a bit confused as I guess many are when they first start this diet. It's difficult to know how far to take it. Some people never eat out, others eat one crumb and have instant reaction. I don't understand how you can order off the gluten-free menu at a normal restaurant - wouldn't there be airborn flour in the kitchen - couldn't the waiters accidentally pick up a crumb - don't they wipe the tables down with a cloth that previously wiped away crumbs? These are the questions that vex me. I was advised not to eat in my cafeteria because they also do some baking in the area; I was told I would get cross-contamination from airborn flour. Then I read elsewhere that flour remains airborn for 24 hours anyway. Then I read that even gluten-free products contain gluten! Apparently, even those on a completely gluten-free diet are ingesting gluten everyday as it is unavoidable.

Are there any common sense guidelines that don't go to such extremes? Can I safely eat out and order off a gluten-free menu at a normal restaurant? Can I walk into a bakery? I understand that others are not like me so I don't intend to offend. I just want to do what is right for me.

sbj......Technically speaking, you do not have to use gluten-free shampoo's/skin care products unless you feel there is no way you can wash your hair without ingesting some into your GI tract. In order to aggravate your immune system and spark a response, you absolutely have to ingest some into your gut. Gluten cannot be absorbed through the skin as the gluten molecule is too large to pass through. This is why patch medications have to be formulated so they will be absorbed through your skin.

There are those who just choose to use gluten-free products and that is perfectly OK. I do not use gluten-free shampoo (it may be, I have not checked) and I have never had a problem. I am extremely sensitive to gluten and know whenever I ingest a crumb so I am pretty confident it's not a problem for me. I would suggest reading Dr. Peter Green's book, "Celiac Disease, The Hidden Epidemic." It explains the whole process really well and will teach you how CC occurs and dispels various myths Celiacs are always hearing. There is much wrong information out there and it's important to learn the right way so your life will become much easier when dealing with these issues.

If a person reacts to shampoo or other product applied directly to the skin, they most likely have an allergy or a sensitivity to some ingredient in that product.

It may or may not be gluten or wheat, either, just to confuse you even more!

sbj,

I generally avoid stuff that goes on my skin that has gluten simply because you can never be sure whether or how it might end up in your mouth.

Everything I have read about gluten says the molecules are simply too large to be absorbed through the skin, and the major celiac experts agree. We all know of some things that ARE absorbed through the skin. Some of them get through naturally, but a large number -- think medications or stop smoking patches -- get through only because they are specifically engineered to do so. In fact, numerous medications can't be applied through the skin because we don't have the technology to get them past our natural barriers.

richard

They don't necessarily use the Wheat Protein to thicken the shapoo. They claim, most of them that use it, that it strengthens the hair, that the strands somehow magically absorbe the protein and become stronger. It's bunk, but people seem to buy it, or at least don't question it.

My GI told me about shampoos and conditioners as soon as I was diagnosed. He says when you are rinsing your hair the shampoo and conditioner run down your face when you are rinsing your hair. If they touch your lips you can be contaminated.

sbj......Technically speaking, you do not have to use gluten-free shampoo's/skin care products unless you feel there is no way you can wash your hair without ingesting some into your GI tract. In order to aggravate your immune system and spark a response, you absolutely have to ingest some into your gut. Gluten cannot be absorbed through the skin as the gluten molecule is too large to pass through. This is why patch medications have to be formulated so they will be absorbed through your skin.

There are those who just choose to use gluten-free products and that is perfectly OK. I do not use gluten-free shampoo (it may be, I have not checked) and I have never had a problem. I am extremely sensitive to gluten and know whenever I ingest a crumb so I am pretty confident it's not a problem for me. I would suggest reading Dr. Peter Green's book, "Celiac Disease, The Hidden Epidemic." It explains the whole process really well and will teach you how CC occurs and dispels various myths Celiacs are always hearing. There is much wrong information out there and it's important to learn the right way so your life will become much easier when dealing with these issues.

If a person reacts to shampoo or other product applied directly to the skin, they most likely have an allergy or a sensitivity to some ingredient in that product.

It may or may not be gluten or wheat, either, just to confuse you even more!

Many thanks, Richard! I will be on the lookout for this book at the library next time I visit. Since I am one of those 'silent' celiacs I never even have a clue whether or not I am ingesting gluten - this is a blessing in most ways, and a bit of a curse, too. Even when I ate gluten foods all the time I never had outward physical symptoms, but inside I guess I was sparking an immune system response that was potentially quite damaging. I consider myself quite lucky in that my doc discovered this by chance while looking for something else entirely! So I really am clueless as to whether I am doing myself harm and the only way I will know (I guess) is after I do more blood work in 6 months. That's a long time to wait to see if I am making mistakes or not. The advice on these forums is wonderful - but sometimes you do get advice that is in conflict with other well-meaning members - that's when I get confused. Thanks again.

I usually use Giovanni for haircare products... Tea Tree Triple Threat Shampoo and Smooth as Silk Deeper Moisture Conditioner are my favorites. My favorite lotion is Desert Essence Coconut stuff. My soap is Dr. Bronner's liquid, which is based on organic oils. I usually don't stray far from these products, as they work well and I haven't had any issues. My dermatologist was mainly concerned about the sulphates, colors, and heavy fragrances in traditional shampoos, conditioners, and body washes. A little bit of fragrance doesn't cause my trouble, but even the so called "moisturizing" body washes you can buy at most stores are really, really drying.

Now that my diet is better, my skin has improved a lot, too, so I compromise a bit for my hair products like hairspray and and texturizer. Those have fragrances, but are gluten free. It's just too difficult to find good quality hair products that are completely color, fragrance, and gluten free. Color and fragrance are the lesser of the evils to me, especially because in professional products I find that these are lower on the ingredient list anyway.

I just know that I tend to be really careless about what I touch and put in my mouth, so I don't want to worry about accidentally glutening myself because I got hair in my mouth that I had washed with gluteny shampoo, or stuck my fingers on my lips after lotioning up with gluteny lotions. NOT worth the risk for me. That and since my skin is very sensitive already, I really just dont want to risk getting a topical reaction.

Besides watching for gluten (I do not use gluteny shampoos and conditioners as I do not want the residue in my shower/tub or hair due to my husband's celiac), I have to watch out for fragrance allergies. I am the

"kiss of death" to products: no sooner do I find a product I like, it gets discontinued or reformulated and I can't find it or use it any longer. I have had non-gluten, allergic reactions to professional products due to fragrance.

I need to mention as per my last telephone conversation with L'Oreal,

(I had called about body lotion) the L'Oreal rep said they cannot tell me

if a product had hidden gluten in it, and the rep said that if it has fragrance in it,

the gluten can hide in the fragrance; hence the desire to want a fragrance-free

product over a product with fragrance in it.

The issue is that many manufacturers do not know what their supplier has put

into the fragrance. Yes, they can say with assurance that they do not put any

gluten in the product, but it's the ingredients which they do not have any control

over which is the issue. Unlike a food product, there's no mandatory

accounting of ingredients.

Besides watching for gluten (I do not use gluteny shampoos and conditioners as I do not want the residue in my shower/tub or hair due to my husband's celiac), I have to watch out for fragrance allergies. I am the

"kiss of death" to products: no sooner do I find a product I like, it gets discontinued or reformulated and I can't find it or use it any longer. I have had non-gluten, allergic reactions to professional products due to fragrance.

I need to mention as per my last telephone conversation with L'Oreal,

(I had called about body lotion) the L'Oreal rep said they cannot tell me

if a product had hidden gluten in it, and the rep said that if it has fragrance in it,

the gluten can hide in the fragrance; hence the desire to want a fragrance-free

product over a product with fragrance in it.

The issue is that many manufacturers do not know what their supplier has put

into the fragrance. Yes, they can say with assurance that they do not put any

gluten in the product, but it's the ingredients which they do not have any control

over which is the issue. Unlike a food product, there's no mandatory

accounting of ingredients.

Well geez, now isn't that a pain?

I had never thought of that, but to be frank, since the fragrances aren't causing to many problems I'm not worried. I wonder WHY gluten would be sitting in fragrance, though...

Well geez, now isn't that a pain?

I had never thought of that, but to be frank, since the fragrances aren't causing to many problems I'm not worried. I wonder WHY gluten would be sitting in fragrance, though...

I am sure that we all wonder WHY. I am sure that the manufacturers aren't worried about it either. They just seem to know it could exist in their product in the fragrance.