This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Cracker Barrel

bmorrow

bmorrow Rookie

I sent Cracker Barrel an email requesting information on their ingredients and if any items on their menu were gluten-free and this is the response I received:

Thank you for taking the time to contact us here at Cracker Barrel Old Country Store.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Guest gfinnebraska

Another place to mark off the list!! Wow... that is unbelieveable.

KaitiUSA Enthusiast

That is a sad response. <_< They just avoided the question altogether.

celiac3270 Collaborator

Yes--they didn't even come close! I'd write back and tell them this and ask them to please answer your question...and I don't believe there are degrees of celiac--you have it or you don't--some may have symptoms with small amounts and some might not, but all of us are equally celiac. :)

celiac3270 Collaborator

Accidentally double posted--and just deleted the duplicate information.

VegasCeliacBuckeye Collaborator

I bet it is a mistake.

Ask for clarification and cut 'n' paste the response you received.

Bronco

debmidge Rising Star

I've never seen so many words mean so little.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

rmaz74 Newbie

I'm really sorry for the response you got! Here is the response I received from them.

Thank you for taking the time to contact us here at Cracker Barrel Old Country Store. We appreciate receiving your inquiry and we do understand your concern.

We are aware that some folks do suffer from gluten intolerance. It is our understanding that, depending upon the person, there are many levels, types, and degrees of gluten intolerance. Please find below a short list of menu items that do not have added glutens:

Sugar Cured Ham

Pork Chops

Carrots

Green Beans

Grits

Grilled Chicken

Mashed Potatoes

Sweet Potato Casserole

Bacon

Apples

Hamburger no glutens added (without Bun)

Corn

Applesauce

Country Ham Steak

Eggs

Baked Potato

Sliced Turkey Breast

Baby Lima Beans

Brown Rice

Colby Cheese

Please let me know if you have further questions or concerns regarding our menu items.

Again, we do appreciate receiving your message. We certainly hope to have the opportunity to serve you again soon.

Sincerely,

Nicole Shaw

Guests Relations Representative

Cracker Barrel Old Country Store, Inc.

Hope this helps! I have eaten there several times and have not had any problems! Hope you have better luck!

celiac3270 Collaborator
Thank you for taking the time to contact us here at Cracker Barrel Old Country Store. We appreciate receiving your inquiry and we do understand your concern.

We are aware that some folks do suffer from gluten intolerance. It is our understanding that, depending upon the person, there are many levels, types, and degrees of gluten intolerance. Please find below a short list of menu items that do not have added glutens:

Two things bother me there:

A) There aren't varying degrees of celiac--you have it or you don't--only symptomatic sensitivity varies.

B)They say this is a list of items that don't have any "added" gluten...sounds like a cover-their-back (euphemism) statement. So is there gluten in something already?

VegasCeliacBuckeye Collaborator

Take it easy guys,

They are at least trying to help.

Again, I would ask for clarification. Aftrer the responses we get from Outback and PF Changs (which still makes me ill), we expect all other restaurants to measure up.

I would say this place has a large amount of cross-contamination -- same with Bob Evans and any "diner-esque" place. These places have high school kids and less skilled cooks on the line.

Sad to say, but I would not feel safe eating there or any diner unless they made my food in a separate pan....all of it.

JMO........

bmorrow Rookie

I emailed Cracker Barrel and asked my questions again, and ask them to please clarify their response to me, but I haven't received a response.

The waiter was young, but he did listen to me when I explained to him the foods that I couldn't eat. I was in Dallas for an appointment with a doctor and was traveling when I stopped in Cracker Barrel. The waiter ask the cook about the items that would be safe, and that is what I ordered. Grilled fish, vegetables and apples. I became very sick within 20 minutes after eating. I knew there was a chance of cross-contamination, but I feel that can exist in any restaurant. All I ask is that the restaurant make an honest attempt at preparing a safe meal, and if they can't do that to please tell me, and I will go to another one.

I am not surprised that a young waiter or even a cook wouldn't know about Celiac or gluten-free food, but I would expect that the Corporate office of a chain, the size of Cracker Barrel, would have a better knowledge of Celiac.

KaitiUSA Enthusiast

I just got a response back from Cracker Barrel today:

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments with all of us here at Cracker Barrel Old Country Store. We're always pleased to hear from our guests.

At the present time we do not have the nutritional information for gluten that you have requested. I'm sure in the near future this will be available for our Guests.

We look forward to seeing you in one of our locations again soon.

Sincerely,

Bonnie Raymond

Guests Relations Representative

Cracker Barrel Old Country Store, Inc.

celiac3270 Collaborator

Okay...so when we combine the original response with Kaiti's response and broncobux's contamination experience there, I think we can effectively strike that from our list of accomodating restaurants/chains.

scaredparent Apprentice

I went to one in Juction City Kansas and told the watress the situation and how important it was for my son on to get anything with glutten in it or touch any thing. She was very nice my son had grilled chicken and greenbeans and he did just fire with it. I was very happy with my service. I think that it will always depend on where you are at and how willing they are to work with you. But we were in Wichita KS and went to an Outback and my son got sick from it.

rmaz74 Newbie

Thanks for the nice reply. I also went to a Cracker Barrel (in Texas) this past weekend and had no problems whatsoever with the wait staff. They were very accomodating. You have to remember that all these restaurants do not have wait staff that are trained to know what allergies people have to all foods. I remember a time when I didn't even know what Celiac Disease was (When I found out that I had it! ! !) Give these people some time! They will eventually come around. Speak with the manager or chef personally and most will be very helpful!

Archived