• Join Our Community!

Do you have questions about celiac disease or the gluten-free diet?

susanm

I Spaced Out And Ate Some Cake

Rate this topic

I'm newly gluten-free (2 weeks). I went to my son's cross-country meet. They had some yummy chocolate cake. I totally forgot about my diet. My son came over with a piece of cake, and I went "yummm" and took 2 forkfulls of heavenly...oops! Ah, darn it! My son suggested I spit it out, but it was too late, I swallowed it.

I don't know if this was a real reaction or if it was in my head, but 5 minutes after I swallowed the cake, I started cramping up. When I got home, I pooed out mucousy stuff (sorry). I mean, I've only been gluten-free for 2 weeks! Why should I have such a strong reaction?

Anyway, how long does it take before you always consider everything that you put in your mouth and stop spacing out? It's still so new.

You know, I did something really similar once when I first went gluten free. My parents took me out to this pizza restaurant that does gluten-free pizza on request and we're all sitting around eating... it was happy hour, so my parents each ordered some beer. We live in an area that's kind of obsessed with "good" beer, so naturally I wanted to try it. Without even thinking, I picked up my mom's glass and had a swig, just to try it.

It dawned on me the second I set the glass back down that I was at a celiac friendly restaurant ordering gluten-free pizza, and that I had just taken a gigantic drink of BEER.

Oops.

As for your reaction, everyone is different. I know some people who react nearly instantly to gluten, the way you did. Plus, if you've only been gluten-free for two weeks, your body is no doubt still trying to clear out all the gluten you've been eating your entire life. It takes a while for all of it to go away. You probably reacted very strongly because of the combination of new and old gluten... It probably just kicked your body back into it's old default mode.

Don't be too hard on yourself though, trust me, everyone has made some pretty silly mistakes. This is one heck of an easy diet to screw up, that's for sure. I hope you feel better soon though!

Hi Susanm!

Welcome to gluten free life! And don't worry, I'm sure now that you've accidentally glutened yourself and are already feeling the effects it won't happen too often in the future. ;) Keep in mind that this is a major life change you've just embarked on, and it'll take a little while to get used to. We ALL make mistakes in the beginning.

As for your reaction - people are really and truly ALL over the map when it comes to this. Some talk about getting a reaction almost immediately, some say that it always takes 4 hours, etc. etc. The cramping is always how I know - and I've had really fast reactions, and ones that take almost an entire day - but that cramping is unmistakable for me. The longer you are gluten free the more you'll figure out about your body and the way you react.

For the time being, sip some ginger ale and get yourself a heating pad. ;)

Good luck!

I don't think it will take too many more episodes like this one to put you on your guard! :o

We're all different. I had wondered for a loooong time whether I might be gluten intolerant, and my dad has celiac, so I was well familiar with the drill. But I think it was also just in sync with my nature for me to become sort of food-obsessed. I never forgot - having to be gluten free was all I could think about. A year later it's still always pretty near the forefront. But then, we do need to eat every day...

Somewhere in between my second and third week I did something like that, too. I had done so much research to figure out what to eat/not eat during my elimination diet, and learned all the different ways that wheat can be called... or so I thought.

Then we went out for greek food, and I got tabbouleh thinking that I was all smart... but what does tabouleh have but bulgur, or cracked wheat. Was NOT a pleasant afternoon. Didn't make that mistake again, and I made sure I really knew all the forms of gluten. The beginning is rough, but it gets easier. Don't beat yourself up, we've all been there! ;)

heh, we've all done it. even after several months gluten-free, I was at a friend's bday party (she also has celiac) and there was a bowl of cooler ranch doritos, which are gluten-free, and nacho cheese ones, that have wheat. after a wonderful night of veggies and dip and glutino pretzels and cake, i reached into the wrong bowl and didn't realize it until the chip was in my mouth :o always pay attention!

Somewhere in between my second and third week I did something like that, too. I had done so much research to figure out what to eat/not eat during my elimination diet, and learned all the different ways that wheat can be called... or so I thought.

Then we went out for greek food, and I got tabbouleh thinking that I was all smart... but what does tabouleh have but bulgur, or cracked wheat. Was NOT a pleasant afternoon. Didn't make that mistake again, and I made sure I really knew all the forms of gluten. The beginning is rough, but it gets easier. Don't beat yourself up, we've all been there! ;)

Oh no!

My mom used to make tabouleh a lot as a healthy snack. I loved that stuff, too. When I was about 15 or so, a good five years before I realized I couldn't eat gluten, it made me really sick. I actually threw up, and I am one of those people that rarely, rarely, rarely does that. I never could enjoy it again after that. I really wish we would have put the clues together BACK THEN, it would have saved me a whole world of trouble in the long run.

Quinoa makes delicious tabouleh. :) When I try grains again...if I do...I will make this again. It is really good.