• Join Our Community!

Do you have questions about celiac disease or the gluten-free diet?

sansglutengrl

Upcoming Oral Surgery For Cyst In Jaw

Rate this topic

Hey everyone!

I moved a few months ago and started school again and haven't been on in FOREVER. I'll probably be on all night catching up. :) Anyway, so long story short - I had a deep cavity in a front tooth on the lower left, last November I was in a lot of pain so I went to the dentist and lo and behold I needed three root canals and there was a lesion on the x-ray that looked like a cyst.

The doctor wanted to wait a year to see if it went away/got bigger/didn't change at all - and so here we are a year later and I've just found out that the cyst has gotten a little bit bigger and so they want to go in and take it out. The doctors have been really reassuring but I am FREAKING out about it. I'm horrified that I'm going to be awake when it happens, it grosses me out, I'm scared it's going to be painful because novacaine never really works on me - and I'm scared that they are going to find out that it is something really terrible.

I know I'm being nutty, but can anyone reassure me on this? Has anyone else had a cyst removed from their mouth? Is there anything that I need to be aware of as far as oral surgery and celiac?

Any info is HUGELY appreciated......

Thank you!

One thing you may want to consider is asking for a referral to an oral surgeon. They can either put you to sleep or into twilight land so that being awake will not be a concern. Another thing you can do is ask for something to calm you down before the appointment, just be aware that many times what they will give you is valium, if that pill doesn't have a cut out V it is not name brand and is not gluten safe (unless things have changed in the last year). You should ask the dentist to be sure to check all meds and topicals they use on you. I am novacaine resistant also so I do understand your concern but they will make very sure that you are numb before they begin. My dentist just starts out with a triple dose of the stuff now so I usually only need one or two jabs but before that they would sometimes have to inject up to 5 times. I hope everything goes smoothly for you.

Ditto for me on the "caines". They dont work well on me either. Just discuss your concerns with your dentist/surgeon. Trust me....they dont want you wide awake and squirming.

Thanks guys :) I wonder if the novacaine resistance has anything to do with Celiac??

I have an appointment on Friday, and I'll ask if I can go to the oral surgeon, or if they can promise me that they'll make me numb till next Tuesday.

Thanks guys :) I wonder if the novacaine resistance has anything to do with Celiac??

I have an appointment on Friday, and I'll ask if I can go to the oral surgeon, or if they can promise me that they'll make me numb till next Tuesday.

There are just some people that certain anesthetics do not work well on. However, there are other oral numbing agents that work extremely well and you won't feel a thing. I have had oral surgery and a few root canals and the endodontist used something that she wouldn't tell me the name of. It was a VERY powerful anesthetic and I never felt a thing and it helped to kill any pain afterwards for quite a while. Tell them you have trouble with regular "caines" and request a more powerful medication. I know it is hard but try to relax....that's half the battle. Good luck to you....it really isn't as bad as your mind thinks it is!

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Top Posters +

• Upcoming Events

• May 22, 2019 04:00 PM Until 08:00 AM

Celiac Emotional Healing Support Group

Again you are invited to join Johnny Patout, LCSW for Baton Rouge's first emotional healing support group meeting to assist those living with celiac disease manage the emotional challenges so many of us face. Most often the emotional disturbances include depression, disinterest in normal activities, insomnia, grief, mood changes, anxiety, inability to concentrate, extreme concern about managing a gluten-free lifestyle and other emotional and behavioral challenges.

The professionals at Jamestown Avenue Counseling Center created the emotional healing support group to give us a safe place to begin to process our emotions and support each other as we heal emotionally while managing celiac disease and the resulting autoimmune disorders.

The emotional healing support group meets every Thursday, 6:00-7:00pm, at the Jamestown Avenue Counseling Center of Baton Rouge. Jamestown Avenue Counseling Center is located at 4637 Jamestown Avenue, Baton Rouge, Suite B-1. Suite B-1 is upstairs.

The support group is free and open everyone managing celiac disease. For more information: emotionalhealingforceliacs@hotmail.com
    • June 01, 2019 Until June 02, 2019
      Nourished Festival is a family-friendly event with 10 locations across the US. Attendees will be able to sample food, health and beauty products, meet with companies, learn about the most current food lifestyles, receive coupons and attend educational sessions with industry experts. 
      Nourished Festival, managed by The Nourished Group and presented by Enjoy Life Foods, is the largest gluten-free, allergy-friendly and specialty diet event in the US, with 10 locations including.
      ABOUT THE NOURISHED FESTIVALS
      Managed by The Nourished Group, formerly The Gluten Free Media Group, The Nourished Festivals are the largest and fastest growing special diet consumer events in the United States. Started in 2007, the events have expanded from one to ten cities throughout the country. The festivals cater to anyone looking to lead a healthier lifestyle or those who follow a specialty diet due to autoimmune conditions, food sensitivities, allergies or intolerances. Offerings including Paleo, Keto, Plant-Based, Gluten-Free, Allergen-Friendly and Nut-Free products. The events provide the opportunity for attendees to sample and purchase new products, receive coupons, meet with brand ambassadors and attend educational classes with industry experts. For more information, visit http://www.nourishedfestival.com 

• July 07, 2019 Until August 03, 2019
      For more information, visit www.kefss.com or call (407) 255-6550. info@kefss.com 

KEF USA Summer Camps Announces the New KEF Gluten-Free Camp in Orlando, Florida for Youths with Celiac Disease.

[Orlando, FL February 6, 2019]-KEF USA is excited to announce that we will offer a new 100% gluten-free camp program to give kids and teens with Celiac Disease a safe, exciting and healthy summer. KEF USA programs offer fun and unique experiences that can only be found in Orlando, Florida. Campers explore the theme parks and local attractions, make new friends, discover new interests and create memories that last a lifetime.