This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Gene Results - Questions Re: Dqb1

luciddream928

luciddream928 Explorer

Hi all,

I took the full panel gluten sensitivity test a few week ago from Enterolab. The results were:

Fecal Antigliadin IgA

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

nora-n Rookie

You have the trans form of DQ2 (DQ5 and DQ7) see other postings on that and go to wikipedia and read on DQ DR, (and DQ2 and DQ7 and DQ5)

We have not seen any patients reporting on any labs telling them they have this trans for of DQ2. This is neither new, alternative or debatable. (that DQ5 and DQ7 make up DQ2 in trans)

nora

nora-n Rookie

Also, if your total IgA is low, or youi have IgA deficiency (about 10% of the normal population have that), the antibody tests at enterolab will be negative. You need a total IgA test from somewhere. Even if it is low within range, the results of the antibody tests may be negative.

In that case you need the ordinary celiac blod tests, ttg and antigliadin, but the IgG versions of these tests.

I think your fat malabsorption test was very very high, sound abnormal to me.

nora

luciddream928 Explorer
You have the trans form of DQ2 (DQ5 and DQ7) see other postings on that and go to wikipedia and read on DQ DR, (and DQ2 and DQ7 and DQ5)

We have not seen any patients reporting on any labs telling them they have this trans for of DQ2. This is neither new, alternative or debatable. (that DQ5 and DQ7 make up DQ2 in trans)

nora

Hi Nora,

Thank you for sharing the info - I'm not sure what it means but I will look up all that you suggested. When you say that you have not seen any patients reporting on labs telling them they have this trans form of DQ2, do you mean on this forum or do you work in a healthcare setting? (You sound professional : ) )

nora-n Rookie

I have been reading around on these forums for some time, and the question about DQ5 plus DQ7 has been discussed here several times. Some have had all the symptoms, had DQ5 plus DQ7 and been told they were negative for celiac genes. So, when you look it up, it si most likey the trans form of DQ2 8depending on wether one has the 05* thing in the alpha chain, but this is the most common thing to have with these genes)

I am just researching this thing, as they told me I was negative for DQ2 and 8. So if they do not tell patients they have DQ2 when they have DQ2 but the trans form, I wonder.....and DQ8 can be mistyped since the test methods do not pick it up very well.

(my daughter is diagnosed celiac, so I think there are good chances that I am either mistyped, or DQ1 which sometimes are very sensitive to gluten, and they have then antigliadin antibodies in the brain)

nora

fedora Enthusiast

There are several variations of each gene. You are DQ7 and DQ5. The numbers 0301 and and 0502 tell you the variations. There is a chart on wikipedia with the major variations listed. So you are DQ7(that is 0301) and DQ5(that is the 0502).

DQ7 can cause celiac or gluten intolerance on it's own but very rarely.

Have you had any blood work done? A total IGA test would tell you your IGA levels. If they are low then enterolab can not be accurate. Most celiac blood tests do test for total IGA levels.

good luck

climbmtwhitney Apprentice

Hello.

My daughter and I both have the same genes as you (Enterolab: Serologic equivalent DQ 1,3) We ALSO carry the more rare Celiac gene on the alpha chain. We found that out through Kimball Genetics. We are both very symptomatic and have been diagnosed as Celiac.

I agree with Nora, have your ability to produce IgA antibodies checked because some can't produce enough, so your IgA scores could be falsely low.

I'm new at this too. We were diagnosed in August, but I'd be happy to answer any questions you have if I can. I've done a lot of research on this. There's so much to learn, huh?

Best,

Sonya

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

luciddream928 Explorer
Hello.

My daughter and I both have the same genes as you (Enterolab: Serologic equivalent DQ 1,3) We ALSO carry the more rare Celiac gene on the alpha chain. We found that out through Kimball Genetics. We are both very symptomatic and have been diagnosed as Celiac.

I agree with Nora, have your ability to produce IgA antibodies checked because some can't produce enough, so your IgA scores could be falsely low.

I'm new at this too. We were diagnosed in August, but I'd be happy to answer any questions you have if I can. I've done a lot of research on this. There's so much to learn, huh?

Best,

Sonya

Hi Sonya. Yes it is overwhelming. In fact, I came home from work after 2 days of not feeling all that great, and realized I ate fries the other day and after some research I found they are not gluten free as I thought. On my way home I just burst into tears. I'm going home for the holidays, and I see my family once a year. We are Italian and the whole culture revolves around food. I never realized how much it means to feel a part of things with family and eating, but it's so true. It's so upsetting to not be able to share the same things and eat the traditional food anymore.

I thought managing the diet was hard, but the genotype discussions blow my mind. I'm a graduate student but not in medicine : ) I'm still unclear as to whether or not the gluten sensitivity does the same damage as true celiac disease. I understand it as a spectrum, but my lab results imply that having this genotype is just like having the disease. My experience is that going gluten free for the most part seems to lessen the symptoms when I do get "glutened" but there seems to be a real emotional component to this. I just burst into tears and get angry for no apperent reason, or at the slightest provocation.

'tis a journey for sure......

More to read about, I guess... but wikipedia is over my head.

nora-n Rookie

But sonya, if you are DQ5 and DQ7, you are the trans form of DQ2 (most likely).

Really confirms that labs do not report that those are in fact DQ2.

One thing is the genes, they do an electrophoresis test, the other thing is the gene expression on the surface of the white blood cell, that is what matters. DQ2 is DQ2 either from the cis form , or the trans form. (also, from half the gene).

There is also serotyping, this is done by antibody testing and tests for the genes too. It does not test the gene product either, so they also miss the trans form I think (from what we have read here, what people report)

nora

Archived