Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

JenniS

Could This Be Celiac?

I have been sick on and off for about 8 years. Symptoms like nausea, diarreah, stomach pain etc. My doctor did a lot of tests like a colonoscopy, a few MRI's and an upper GI of my esophagus and stomach and all he has come up with is that I have acid reflux disease and IBS. However, the medications he prescribed have done nothing. A friend of my mother's suggested that my symptoms sound close to hers, and she has celiac disease. I think she might be right because when I was on the Atkins diet, I wasn't as sick..in fact not sick at all until I started to eat bread again. My doctor basically told me there isn't much that he can do, I am in the process of looking for a new doctor but I have already spent thousands of dollars in medical bills and still owe some so I though I would get some feedback here before going in for some more tests. Thanks, I appreciate any help anyone could give me!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

My main symptom with celiac was nausea. What you are describing does sound like celiac. It is definately worth getting tested for. Some doctors just don't know much about it and it is commonly misdiagnosed for IBS and things similar to that.

http://celiac.com/st_prod.html?p_prodid=36...-28105081174.54

If you need help looking for a doctor this link may help you. It is this sites link to doctors recommended by celiacs.

Hope you find some answers :D Hang in there and if you have any questions don't hesitate to ask :D

I think you have the symptoms and the signs of a gluten intolerance/wheat allergy/celiac disease.

My doctor basically told me there isn't much that he can do

That is horrible... <_< I mean he did a colonoscopy, MRI's and an upper GI... The least he could do would be an endoscopy and biopsy of the small intestine. Or at least give you a celiac blood test.

Well today I decided that I am going to cut out all gluten/etc..I started this morning. I am going to do it for a month and see if I get any relief from it. If I notice a big change I am going to go forth with a new doctor from there, because I refuse to go back to the old one. Thanks for the help and the suggestions! Now I have to go find something I can eat...i'm starving LOL

1% of the population has celiac. 97% of celiacs don't know they have it...this is a widespread and not-well-known disease. I think everyone would be better off getting tested since it's so common, but especially if you have the common symptoms, which you do: stomach pains, diarrhea, nausea, etc.

Good luck with the diet! :)

The Atkins diet did wonders for me. You may need to give it more than a month. It took about two months before I started to feel healthy.

Ianm