• Join Our Community!

Do you have questions about celiac disease or the gluten-free diet?

bear6954

Sugar

Rate this topic

My son is 2 1/2 yrs and is only 33 1/2" and 28.5 lbs. He has been gluten free since May 08. Our dr said that he may have issues with sugar while he is healing. He has always had issues with juice so he does not drink it. My son needs to take in 1200 cal a day to try to grow. I was told that everything, including drinks, need to have calories. I normally feed him Koolaide, but that has started to bother him. Now I mix koolaide and pedialyte and it is working - he is pooping normal again. However, pedialyte is so expensive and we are on a tight budget right now. We go through about 5 one quart containers of pedialyte a week (our soda money now goes towards it!)

Has anyone else had this problem? What do you give your children to drink that still has calories, but does not give him the wonderful runny poops!? By the way, my son does not drink milk.

Thanks for the help.

My son is 2 1/2 yrs and is only 33 1/2" and 28.5 lbs. He has been gluten free since May 08. Our dr said that he may have issues with sugar while he is healing. He has always had issues with juice so he does not drink it. My son needs to take in 1200 cal a day to try to grow. I was told that everything, including drinks, need to have calories. I normally feed him Koolaide, but that has started to bother him. Now I mix koolaide and pedialyte and it is working - he is pooping normal again. However, pedialyte is so expensive and we are on a tight budget right now. We go through about 5 one quart containers of pedialyte a week (our soda money now goes towards it!)

Has anyone else had this problem? What do you give your children to drink that still has calories, but does not give him the wonderful runny poops!? By the way, my son does not drink milk.

Thanks for the help.

Our four year old drinks mostly water. We do use juice for smoothies becaue he's casein free as well. Have you tried pear, apricot nectur or guava juice? We've been very successful with those three.

Our four year old drinks mostly water. We do use juice for smoothies becaue he's casein free as well. Have you tried pear, apricot nectur or guava juice? We've been very successful with those three.

You said he doesn't drink milk? Doesn't drink it, or can't tolerate it? If he just doesn't drink it, I would do what I needed to do to get him on milk. It's calories, fat, vitamins, etc.....and seems like a healthier way to go on his teeth than the Koolaid, and when we were struggling to get my daughter's bowels under control, we were told to aviod the sugar beverages and push milk. The sugar would just make her continue to have the runs, we needed fiber and we needed nutrients. It would help with her weight and her poos. ( we found some gluten-free chocolate syrup and add a squirt to her milk). The sugar is empty calories, the milk will give him nutrients that he desperately needs ( our DD from 2-3 didn't gain any weight, she had the runs for a year, she wasn't getting nutrients).

Good luck.

Assuming your son doesn't have other allergies or intolerances, I would focus on high-calorie foods and not worry so much about the drinks. One ounce of almonds, for example, has 175 calories. Here are some high-calorie (but healthy) foods:

- Nuts (peanuts, almonds...)

- Seeds (pumpkin, sunflower...)

- Coconut

- Avocado

- 1-2 oz of cheese per day

- Whole milk

- Full-fat yogurt

- Lean meat (beef, chicken...)

- Fatty fish (salmon, mackerel...)

Nuts and seeds are good if he tolerates them. At his age, I would opt for nut and seed butters over whole nuts and seeds. Still a chocking hazzard. They also make almond flour which you can bake with. The SCD diet has recipes that are delicious and high calorie/nutrition:

http://www.scdrecipe.com/recipes/

Check out the kugel. :)

You could blend fruit in coconut milk and add honey or agave to sweeten if needed. Dilute the coconut milk if it's too thick for him.

You said he doesn't drink milk? Doesn't drink it, or can't tolerate it? If he just doesn't drink it, I would do what I needed to do to get him on milk. It's calories, fat, vitamins, etc.....and seems like a healthier way to go on his teeth than the Koolaid, and when we were struggling to get my daughter's bowels under control, we were told to aviod the sugar beverages and push milk. The sugar would just make her continue to have the runs, we needed fiber and we needed nutrients. It would help with her weight and her poos. ( we found some gluten-free chocolate syrup and add a squirt to her milk). The sugar is empty calories, the milk will give him nutrients that he desperately needs ( our DD from 2-3 didn't gain any weight, she had the runs for a year, she wasn't getting nutrients).

Good luck.

I still nurse my son (naps and bedtime). I have tried milk at dinner when mommy and daddy are drinking it. I have tried different flavors and he refuses to drink it. I will keep trying, because I do understand that those calories are empty. I have been keeping a calorie chart on him and if you include only food he is taking in between 400 and 900 calories a day and he needs 1200 or more to begin to grow. Thanks for the help!