• Join Our Community!

Do you have questions about celiac disease or the gluten-free diet?

roxie

Birthday Cakes!

Rate this topic

My Birthday is coming up in 2 weeks, and I want a cake that tastes like a REAL birthday cake. Can anyone suggest a gluten free bakery that ships cakes to Florida. Thanks!

I cook Pamela's Choc. Cake Mix and it's faaarrrr better than Duncan Hines. Just eating it is a celebration. ;)

This is an amazing from "scratch" cake:

One Bowl Chocolate Cake (read all the comments too!)

http://www.recipezaar.com/209764

I add 3/4 cup of choc. or p.b. chips. Any gluten-free baking cocoa but if you use Hershey's Special Dark, it is a very dark cake...yummy. I tried it with Featherlite rice flour mix and Carol's sorghum flour mix. Top with chocolate frosting or make it like the one in the picture and double the recipe for a 2 layer cake. You could even put cherry pie filling on it.

I bake it in a 10x7" pan or an 8x8" with an extra 4 or 5 cupcakes on the side to freeze for a chocolate emergency ;) Be sure to bake it the full time.

You could also make it layered like a Dairy Queen cake. I like to make it the day before.

Bake cake and freeze it. Warm a jar of fudge topping and pour desired amount onto cake. Then sprinkle on some Pamela's cookie crumbs or nuts. Freeze. Soften some ice cream then spread it on the cake nice and thick (sides too if you removed it from the pan after baking/cooling and put it in a larger container) Then freeze until firm. Decorate it with piped frosting or chopped candy bars, sprinkles, nuts, etc.

Warning: M&M's will melt colors into the ice cream, not so pretty unless you eat it right up.

2nd warning: If you love chocolate, this cake is addicitve and alot cheaper than a mix.

:) HAVE A HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!! :D

I don't know of any bakeries who deliver, although I'm sure someone will have a recommendation for you.

As for baking your own, if you decide to, I'm loving the Cause Your Special Mixes. The Lemon and the Yellow are absolutely delicious with great texture and moistness. I make the Yellow into a spice cake sometimes by adding 1/2 tsp. cinnamon, 1/4 tsp. nutmeg, and 1/4 tsp. ground clove.

Have a great birthday! :D

This is an amazing from "scratch" cake:

One Bowl Chocolate Cake (read all the comments too!)

http://www.recipezaar.com/209764

I add 3/4 cup of choc. or p.b. chips. Any gluten-free baking cocoa but if you use Hershey's Special Dark, it is a very dark cake...yummy. I tried it with Featherlite rice flour mix and Carol's sorghum flour mix. Top with chocolate frosting or make it like the one in the picture and double the recipe for a 2 layer cake. You could even put cherry pie filling on it.

I bake it in a 10x7" pan or an 8x8" with an extra 4 or 5 cupcakes on the side to freeze for a chocolate emergency ;) Be sure to bake it the full time.

You could also make it layered like a Dairy Queen cake. I like to make it the day before.

Bake cake and freeze it. Warm a jar of fudge topping and pour desired amount onto cake. Then sprinkle on some Pamela's cookie crumbs or nuts. Freeze. Soften some ice cream then spread it on the cake nice and thick (sides too if you removed it from the pan after baking/cooling and put it in a larger container) Then freeze until firm. Decorate it with piped frosting or chopped candy bars, sprinkles, nuts, etc.

Warning: M&M's will melt colors into the ice cream, not so pretty unless you eat it right up.

2nd warning: If you love chocolate, this cake is addicitve and alot cheaper than a mix.

:) HAVE A HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!! :D

I am new to this but I make my cakes from scratch. I have four kids and we all love this cake. We use Bob's Red Mill All-Purpose gluten-free Baking Flour. It makes a great chocolate cake!

1 1/2 cups Bob's red mill all-purpose gluten-free baking flour

1 cup brown sugar

1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder "hershey's Dark"

1 tsp. baking soda

1 tsp xanthan gun

3/4 tsp salt

1/2 cup milk

1/3 cup butter

1 large egg

1 tsp vanilla

3/4 cup warm (110*) brewed coffee

Preheat oven to 350. grease11x7inch nonstick pan. set aside. place all ingedients, except coffee, in large bowl and blend with electric mixer. add coffee and mix until thoroughly blended. pour into preparedpan and bake for 30-35minutes or until toothpick inserted in center of cake comes out clean. serves 12.

I usually double this recipe myself. There is not any left by the end of the party. even the Adult and Kids cann't tell its gluten free. You can find more recipes at www.bobsredmill.com. I hope this helps.

P.S. Don't lick the spoon or the bowl. The batter taste nasty before its cooked but the cake is wonderful! That is the hardest thing for my kids to get use to. Not being able to lick the spoon or bowl. I hope you have a great birthday party!!!!!Best of luck to you!

I second the Pamela's chocolate cake mix. I made a cake out of that for a party and used cream cheese icing (my favorite). It was amazing. If you add a little vanilla and make a few layers, it also makes a mean german chocolate cake (my second favorite).

For a box mix my vote goes to Pamela's as well. I also love Annalise Roberts cakes & cupcakes in her Baking CLassics cookbook. I believe she has it posted on her site as well along with many other recipes.

Happy early Birthday.

Where are you in Florida?

There is a bakery in Sarasota that is ALL gluten-free. I have tasted some of their bread and muffins. Very good. I have not had their cake, but they do ship unfrosted:

http://www.islandgfbakery.com/PRODUCTS.html

These are pricey, but look amazing. Your birthday only comes once a year. ;)

http://www.abountifulharvest.com/gluten_fr...thday_cakes.asp

http://www.shabtai-gourmet.com/

No cakes here, but looks super yummy:

http://www.mariposabaking.com/

Deerfield bakery in Deerfield illinois does wonderful gluten free cakes. deerfieldbakery.com, I believe. you can also check with bittersweet bakery in Eagan, mn. glutenfreecreations.com also sells cake blanks (cakes without the icing that you can frost/decorate yourself. (though if you are going to do that, you might as well back the cakes, I think).

Thanks for all the ideas! I am in Jacksonville, FL. I agree that the Pamela's cakes are Very Good, but I was just thinking that I wanted something that tasted close to the cakes I always used to order from The Publix Bakery. YUM!! My mouth is watering just thinking about that butter cream icing. I will try to contact some of these bakeries mentioned. Thanks again!