• Join Our Community!

Do you have questions about celiac disease or the gluten-free diet?

RobinAnn

Newbie With Questions

Rate this topic

Hey everyone, I'm new to this board so let me explain a a little about myself. I am an American living in Germany. I was Dx with thyroid disease in 2003 and am EXTREMELY intolerant of thyroid medication although I tried taking the meds for 5 years. Since jan. this year I have stopped all meds and am working on diet alone. Since stopping the meds I have become much more aware of my body's response to foods that I eat. Grains in general are a problem except for rice and I'm very reactive or sensitive to vitamin and mineral supplements.

Generally speaking, when I look at a list of celiac disease symptoms, yeah, that could easily be me. Since the local doctors have been extremely useless and incompetent in helping me to regain my health I though I would go straight to a gluten free diet without bothering with testing. Is there any reason why this would be a bad idea?

What is the difference, if any with celiac disease, gluten intolerance and wheat intolerance?

Robin

Hi Robin and welcome! Glad you found this site.

Celiac Disease testing is not what we would like at the present time. The Serologic Panel can rule Celiac in, but it cannot rule it out, as the same with and endoscopy/biopsy. The only true test, and the least scientific is positive dietary responce.

A positive dietary response will not tell you if you have Celiac, a gluten intolerance, gluten sensitivity or a gluten allergy.

We have several people who were so relieved of prolonged symptoms that they gladly accept any level of gluten issues.

If you continue to eat gluten, this is the Serologic Panel to request from your doctor:

Anti-gliadin antibodies (AGA) both IgA and IgG

Anti-endomysial antibodies (EMA) - IgA

Anti-tissue transglutaminase antibodies (tTG) - IgA

Total IgA level.

If you have any further question, feel free to ask.

So, it sounds like testing isn't all that necessary or usefull. Which is a relief since getting testing would require too much stress in trying to get a doc to actually help me.

I've been reading some info on this site but have only just started. Where is the best place to start with the facts I need before beginning the diet.

So, it sounds like testing isn't all that necessary or usefull. Which is a relief since getting testing would require too much stress in trying to get a doc to actually help me.

I've been reading some info on this site but have only just started. Where is the best place to start with the facts I need before beginning the diet.

http://www.celiac.com/

Here is a good start, with various categories on our home page. (or click on the top of this page Celiac Disease Info)

I'm on my second day of gluten free. I know it takes a while before I feel the complete effects from the diet. But how long is long enough before deciding if this is the answer or not? How many weeks or months?

I'm on my second day of gluten free. I know it takes a while before I feel the complete effects from the diet. But how long is long enough before deciding if this is the answer or not? How many weeks or months?

Hey RobinAnn,

Welcome to the site! I'm just starting my second week on the gluten free diet and I noticed results almost instantly! I'm still have some digestive trouble on and off but I'm guessing my body is still flushing gluten out. Some people on here say it was two years before they were completely back to normal...some say it takes six months. I think it depends from person to person on how quickly you get back to "normal." Hope you start feeling better soon!

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Top Posters +

• Upcoming Events

• May 29, 2019 04:00 PM Until 08:00 AM

Celiac Emotional Healing Support Group

Again you are invited to join Johnny Patout, LCSW for Baton Rouge's first emotional healing support group meeting to assist those living with celiac disease manage the emotional challenges so many of us face. Most often the emotional disturbances include depression, disinterest in normal activities, insomnia, grief, mood changes, anxiety, inability to concentrate, extreme concern about managing a gluten-free lifestyle and other emotional and behavioral challenges.

The professionals at Jamestown Avenue Counseling Center created the emotional healing support group to give us a safe place to begin to process our emotions and support each other as we heal emotionally while managing celiac disease and the resulting autoimmune disorders.

The emotional healing support group meets every Thursday, 6:00-7:00pm, at the Jamestown Avenue Counseling Center of Baton Rouge. Jamestown Avenue Counseling Center is located at 4637 Jamestown Avenue, Baton Rouge, Suite B-1. Suite B-1 is upstairs.

The support group is free and open everyone managing celiac disease. For more information: emotionalhealingforceliacs@hotmail.com
    • June 01, 2019 Until June 02, 2019
      Nourished Festival is a family-friendly event with 10 locations across the US. Attendees will be able to sample food, health and beauty products, meet with companies, learn about the most current food lifestyles, receive coupons and attend educational sessions with industry experts. 
      Nourished Festival, managed by The Nourished Group and presented by Enjoy Life Foods, is the largest gluten-free, allergy-friendly and specialty diet event in the US, with 10 locations including.
      ABOUT THE NOURISHED FESTIVALS
      Managed by The Nourished Group, formerly The Gluten Free Media Group, The Nourished Festivals are the largest and fastest growing special diet consumer events in the United States. Started in 2007, the events have expanded from one to ten cities throughout the country. The festivals cater to anyone looking to lead a healthier lifestyle or those who follow a specialty diet due to autoimmune conditions, food sensitivities, allergies or intolerances. Offerings including Paleo, Keto, Plant-Based, Gluten-Free, Allergen-Friendly and Nut-Free products. The events provide the opportunity for attendees to sample and purchase new products, receive coupons, meet with brand ambassadors and attend educational classes with industry experts. For more information, visit http://www.nourishedfestival.com 

• July 07, 2019 Until August 03, 2019
      For more information, visit www.kefss.com or call (407) 255-6550. info@kefss.com 

KEF USA Summer Camps Announces the New KEF Gluten-Free Camp in Orlando, Florida for Youths with Celiac Disease.

[Orlando, FL February 6, 2019]-KEF USA is excited to announce that we will offer a new 100% gluten-free camp program to give kids and teens with Celiac Disease a safe, exciting and healthy summer. KEF USA programs offer fun and unique experiences that can only be found in Orlando, Florida. Campers explore the theme parks and local attractions, make new friends, discover new interests and create memories that last a lifetime.

• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    David Kirkpatrick

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
  • Who's Online (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

• Forum Discussions

Hi Lfortson, I assume you are on the gluten-free diet?  So no wheat, rye or barley?  That's good, but there are about 10% of celiacs who react to oats also.  So you might want to get rid of oats for several months and see if things improve. Another somewhat common food issue is dairy.  Some people can't digest lactose (cow milk sugar), and some can't digest casein (cow milk protein).  So it might help to eliminate all dairy for several months also.  Almond milk is a possible substitute
    Thank you for all of the suggestions and information.  I will see a lot of the symptoms that I have that I didn't mention listed caused by lack of certain enzymes.  I have blood tests every 3 months. That is when I noticed my cholesterol, etc. not in check.  I eat too many carbohydrates because it causes less diarrhea than a lot of vegetables.  But in talking to 3 of my sisters they are already on medication for the problem.   One has Celiacs the other has Sjorgrens which I also have.  I'm conce
    For the fog and memory, it can be many things, the brain requires certain ratios and amounts of fat to function, it also requires b-vitamins the full spectrum among other amino acids, minerals and vitamins, nerve functions require magnesium, potassium and other things to fire right.  Celiac can hamper the ability to break down and absorb nutrients, digestive issues and enzymes can further complicate this, and trying to eat the right ratios of foods. I supplement with Liquid Health Mega B-compl
  • Blog Entries