• Join Our Community!

Do you have questions about celiac disease or the gluten-free diet?

scooper

Validity Of Stool Test?

Rate this topic

My two daughters were diagnosed with Celiac this year with blood tests and intestinal biopsies. The rest of the family tested negative on the blood test so the doctors said not to worry about gluten. However, we tested my husband and myself with the stool test through Entero Lab at www.enterolab.com and our results came back positive for gluten sensitivity.

Who do we trust - the doctors or the stool test results? My husband has symptoms for gluten sensitivity but I don't (at least none I know of).

The doctor said the stool test is not reliable.

Any experience with the validity of the test?

Doctors are always resistant to anything new or unpublished. Dont forget it wasnt that long ago that Cigarettes were "just what the doctor ordered". That's right doctors used to prescribe cigarettes. They know a lot, but they dont know everything.

I believe Enterolab to be reliable and I know MANY in here will agree. I did a genetic test also with Enterolab and with Kimball Labs. The were consistent. Kimball is used by doctors.

THE MOST RELIABLE THING IS......POSITIVE RESPONSE TO THE DIET. Hands down this is the single best way to determine gluten intolerance. It doesnt dx Celiac, but leaves no doubt about gluten.

There are quite a few people who didnt think they had symptoms related to gluten, but when they went on the diet were amazed. Oh....those brittle fingernails are gone. Or I no longer get zits right before my period. In my case, I no longer get migraines mid cycle or before my period. I thought that was just hormonal. Well it was because the gluten was messing up my hormones.

If it were me and mine, I would make the WHOLE family gluten-free. First of all it is way easier considering both your daughters have Celiac to prepare meals that everyone can eat. PLUS there will be no worries about CC (cross contamination). Secondly, it is a VERY HEALTHY diet if you include lots of veggies, lean meats, fruits and other whole grains like brown rice.

And you can just watch everyone get better.

Make sure you kitchen is gluten-free. Old scratched Teflon must go, old wooden spoons and cutting boards too. A new toaster is in order. Clean out the pantry, fridge and freezer. Stock it up with healthy gluten-free items.

Your home should be the one place your girls can feel safe. So taking the whole family gluten-free would create this haven for them.

They got the genes from one of you or both. So if your DH is showing signs of gluten sensitivity already, it might be the beginnings of Celiac. Too early for it to show up on bloodwork or biopsy, but not too early for it to be causing damage and symptoms.

Currently the Celiac Disease Foundation and Celiac Sprue Association do not recognize stool testing as a legitimate means of diagnoses.

Some people here have been satisfied with their result from Enterolabs. Enterolabs can show sensitivity, but they cannot diagnose for Celiac Disease.

Your daughters tested positive, therefore you or your husband (or both) carry the gene. Not all blood works is accurate. Testing can rule Celiac in, but it cannot rule it out.

I had the Enterolab testing done and my results were positive as well.

I had a negative tTG blood test prior so when the GI refused to scope me, I had no other option.

Enterolab supported what my doctor and I believed already to be true - that I had a problem with gluten. Whether it is Celiac or just gluten sensitivity/intolerance doesn't matter, the treatment is the same. And I have had amazing results.

my enterolab test was positive, my diet results supported it.

My daughter's test were negative, so they do not always come back positive.