• Join Our Community!

Do you have questions about celiac disease or the gluten-free diet?

Swimmr

Seafood And Celiac

Rate this topic

Hi new here. I'm 26 and found out about a year ago that I may be intolerant to wheat and gluten products. My mother definitely has it and reacts violently at times to anything. Especially iodine.

My topic here is mainly to get info on Seafood and being intolerant. I have yet to go to the doctor to see if I have celiac. I don't think that I do since I have caught it earlier than my mother. She doesn't have celiac, just extremely intolerant. I recently discovered (through her) that I cannot have iodized salt. I started using sea salts...for as long as I've been going gluten/wheat free because apparently idodine affects those who are intolerant. I have yet to find more information on that particular thing. I recently had purchased a container of celtic sea salt and starting itching around my chest and neck area and didn't think anything of it until my mom called me at work only to tell me NOT to use the celtic sea salts because it's rich in iodine. The itching ceased.

I do know that both times I've eaten boiled crab (prepared at home), not at a restaurant that I had a REALLY bad reaction. Mostly intestinal. It was bad bad diahrea and it was watery and greenish. So I decided to NOT ever eat crab again. It was my first and LAST time. So if shellfish are a risk to eat (as I had later found out), will regular fishes such as salmon and tilapia be a risk? Is it specifically idodine or is it other metals. I have heard that iodine will affect you IF you have ingested something with wheat and/or gluten. But if you do not have it in your system then iodine won't make you react.

Now to my real question. Would regular fish like salmon, tilapia, or tuna also have a similar affect as the crab did? I have not eaten salmon in about 7 or 8 months and I had 10 oz of it yesterday evening for dinner. It was at Logan's Roadhouse restaurant and I even had the manager come to my table so I could ask if it was gluten and wheat free and any of the seasings they used were as well. He said they use crushed pepper and lemon juice to season it. I decided to get it. I squeezed lemon all over it and went to it. It was delicious.

Later in the evening I started feeling extremely wierd. Dizzy, a little nauseated, a strange headache that felt like it was coming from the base of my skull and branching to my eyeballs. It wasn't bad like a cluster headache, but definitely more annoying than anything. It was dull, but constant. I was really dizzy and any position I layed in just didn't feel good. Also had bad indigestion which I've found to be a SURE sign of something I didn't need to eat. Usually I just bloat up, have gas/indigestion and a migraine or all of them at once if I've gotten ahold of something.

I have called into work this morning because I'm still nauseated, slight indegestion, headache and dizzy. But I'm scared to eat anything due to me having indigestion. Drinking or eating anything causes it to be worse no matter what it is. So I don't know if my headache that I still have is from not eating yet or lingering from last night.

Everyone's symptoms are different, I just need to know if the metal content in salmon would make me react.

Thankyou for any opinions or facts that could help me in the future! :)

Most salmon in restaurants is "farm raised" unless it specifically says "wild caught'. But wild caught is soooo expensive that most restaurants do not serve it. Logan's wouldnt. Farm raised will not have high iodine levels. There is ALWAYS the chance of CC in a restaurant setting. You might have gotten gluten even though you checked. IT has happened to me.

Hope you feel better soon.

Most salmon in restaurants is "farm raised" unless it specifically says "wild caught'. But wild caught is soooo expensive that most restaurants do not serve it. Logan's wouldnt. Farm raised will not have high iodine levels. There is ALWAYS the chance of CC in a restaurant setting. You might have gotten gluten even though you checked. IT has happened to me.

Hope you feel better soon.

Thankyou. The symptoms are starting to go away. The headache much better, but dizzy and not going to drive to work like this.

I suppose it was CC, however, I've not had serious reactions (like my mom does) with CC. Maybe I just can't have seafood anymore...who knows why. Shrimp sometimes will do it to me too even though it's boiled at home with no seasonings...just melted butter made with canola oil.

Thankyou for your input!! :)

Iodine can be a problem for people who have celiac and DH -- but not for folks who have celiac without the DH. The iodine keeps the blisters coming back longer. Generally, those people can consume iodine again after being gluten-free for a number of months.

Your crab reaction sounds like you might be allergic to shellfish.

richard

My book on celiac says shell fish is a problem, crab, lobster and shrimp. I love them all but can't eat any of them anymore. Don't know why, maybe' it's harder to digest.