• Join Our Community!

Do you have questions about celiac disease or the gluten-free diet?

Rate this topic

Hi everybody,

Its been awhile since I have been here. I was diagnosed as gluten sensitive at the beginning of the year. I was very good for about 6 months, then i fell off the wagon. I know, bad bad me.

I have a new symptom and was wondering if anyone else has this. I dont know if it is related to gluten, or might be hormonal or something else entirely.

My senses of smell and taste have changed. I can barely tolerate the smell of coffee, it doesnt smell remotely like it used to. I used to love the smell of brewing coffee, now it makes my sinuses burn. Other things dont smell the same either, but coffee is the most noticable.

Also my taste. I am still trying to narrow it down, but i think it has to do with some kind of oil. Once i get a bite of whatever it is, i get a very vinegar-like taste that overpowers what i am eating. It is very discouraging. It isnt only with things containing gluten, i wish it was that easy.

If anyone else has experienced anything like this, i would love to hear about it. I will get to my Dr with it, once i get a knee issue straightened out.

thanks

Angie

A zinc deficiency can alter your senses of taste and smell. If you are gluten intolerant and eating it still you might not be absorbing this important nutrient very well. Just a thought....

Are there any changes noticeable to your tongue? Do you have a geographic tongue?

Vitamin defencies can cause changes to your tongue and taste. It can also be a symptom of too much copper in some cases.

Laura

that has happened to me a few times over the past 12 years, it was very odd.

almost like things smelled tasted of ammonia...but not quite... hard to describe but strange

never found out the cause but it really could have been nutrient deficiencies my celiac got pretty bad before they found it so i know I was deprived of proper nutrition for a long time

good luck!

...Shay I love your owl! cute!....

Hi everybody,

Its been awhile since I have been here. I was diagnosed as gluten sensitive at the beginning of the year. I was very good for about 6 months, then i fell off the wagon. I know, bad bad me.

I have a new symptom and was wondering if anyone else has this. I dont know if it is related to gluten, or might be hormonal or something else entirely.

My senses of smell and taste have changed. I can barely tolerate the smell of coffee, it doesnt smell remotely like it used to. I used to love the smell of brewing coffee, now it makes my sinuses burn. Other things dont smell the same either, but coffee is the most noticable.

Also my taste. I am still trying to narrow it down, but i think it has to do with some kind of oil. Once i get a bite of whatever it is, i get a very vinegar-like taste that overpowers what i am eating. It is very discouraging. It isnt only with things containing gluten, i wish it was that easy.

If anyone else has experienced anything like this, i would love to hear about it. I will get to my Dr with it, once i get a knee issue straightened out.

thanks

Angie

I used to get that, or something similar. I fixed it.

CAUTION: ......THIS MAKES A DEADLY POISON.......

Have you ever accidentally mixed ammonia and chlorine?

I have. That's what it smelled like ........chloramines .........AWFUL taste.

1. I started drinking purified water (more).

2. I stopped ingesting sweets.

3. I started eating plain live yogurt.

4. Finally, I stopped ingesting wheat.

I also had other problems. Now they're gone, and so is the smell/taste.

When your liver gets overloaded with zonulin-dumped carbohydrates and proteins, it turns them into ammonia compounds. They readily bind with chlorine from tap water and table salt. It's very bad for you in many ways.

For the longest time, before dx, I absolutely could not stand the smell of green olives. The smell made me nauseaus and I felt like I had to throw up (even though I didn't). My husband eats them all the time. I would actually have to leave the room some times.

Now, after being gluten-free, the smell doesn't bother me that much. It's still not my favorite smell, but I don't feel sick from it.