• Join Our Community!

Do you have questions about celiac disease or the gluten-free diet?

djmom

Abnormal Uterine Bleeding

Rate this topic

Are prolonged periods or bleeding between periods ever associated with celiac disease? I am bleeding 2-3 weeks a month.

(Don't worry, I am seeing a gynecologist about this and undergoing tests. She just hasn't found anything wrong at this point.)

I was just wondering.

Thanks.

How old are you? Have they tested your iron and ferritin? Are you taking any herbs or supplements other than a multi/vit? Added a lot of soy lately?

How old are you? Have they tested your iron and ferritin? Are you taking any herbs or supplements other than a multi/vit? Added a lot of soy lately?

I am 44, they tested iron with a fingerstick-don't know what test that was called. It was good (12? I think)

No herbs, not a big soy fan, so unless it is in something I don't know about....I'll check my cereal.

This is possibly perimenopause going on- but seems a little excessive to me, has been going on since June. They have ruled out endometriosis, polyps. Have one fibroid but they don't think that is the problem due to size and location.

Who knows.

Just a shot in the dark if it was some wierd symptom of celiac disease I didn't know about (since my mom is and some of the symptoms match for me.) I am at a loss and it is really a drag.

Are prolonged periods or bleeding between periods ever associated with celiac disease? I am bleeding 2-3 weeks a month.

(Don't worry, I am seeing a gynecologist about this and undergoing tests. She just hasn't found anything wrong at this point.)

I was just wondering.

Thanks.

There can be many reasons as to why you have prolonged periods and bleeding every 2-3 wks. For instance, are you taking alot of asprin, or medication that has asprin or asprin product in it? When you mention 2-3 weeks a month are they full periods or is it blood when you wipe. Sorry to sound graphic. Sometimes people can have little hemorrhoids that can bleed while having a bowel movement. They usually don't know they have them and they can bleed with this. You mentioned that you are 44, have you had a hystoscopy(very non-invasive done in office of gyn) of your uterus to see if you have alot of "fluff" in your endometrium. This usually is a problem with our age, we tend to have "fluff" and the blood during our periods sits in the fluff and sometimes we get a full period and then we have spotting which sometimes is brown and other times tinged red and pink.

I am glad that you are going to your GYN, but I would ask for a full panel for your blood work. ie: thyroid, iron, b12 etc. Finger sticks aren't always (and I say, aren't always, before someone sends me a bad email) accurate. They really can't do alot of blood tests from a drop of blood. There are many possible reasons, some as simple as a little polyp (not a cancer) on your cervix that is there and they need to look visually to see it, and that little polyp can cause alot of havoc on someone with all this break through bleeding. Also, if you are peri-menopausal I hear that it gets worse before it gets better, meaning irregular periods. But maybe someone who is a verteran of menopause can clue you in to that.

Good luck and I hope everything turns out good for you. Be cautious as to what you look up on the internet regarding symptoms they can scare they heck out of you.

Hi djmom! I do not have a confirmed diagnosis of celiac but went gluten free in March.. I had hoped that one of the problems I was experiencing - abnormal periods would go away along with the rest of my symptoms.. but has not, it is the only nagging problem I have at the moment.. My periods went from 3-5 days to 7-10 days.. then spotting everyday from one period to the next.. Birth control pills made it worse. I got one shot of Depro and said no to the follow up shots.. did not like the side effects.

I had 2 pelvic ultra sounds and a endrometrial biopsy.. all negative.. cannot find a cause. It is just a mystery.

Since I do not plan to have anymore children they are going to do an ablation .. remove the lining of the uterus. The surgery is Friday. I will be glad to get it done and over with..

Good possibility at my age with this procedure to never have a period again! :D

Darci

I was just wondering.

Thanks.

Darci,

My husband says I have "wished this" so I don't have to have sex! <_<

Good luck on your procedure. At this point, although that sounds scary, anything sounds good to me, including hysterectomy. I am sick of it!

Again, hope it goes well.

Susan

Hi djmom! I do not have a confirmed diagnosis of celiac but went gluten free in March.. I had hoped that one of the problems I was experiencing - abnormal periods would go away along with the rest of my symptoms.. but has not, it is the only nagging problem I have at the moment.. My periods went from 3-5 days to 7-10 days.. then spotting everyday from one period to the next.. Birth control pills made it worse. I got one shot of Depro and said no to the follow up shots.. did not like the side effects.

I had 2 pelvic ultra sounds and a endrometrial biopsy.. all negative.. cannot find a cause. It is just a mystery.

Since I do not plan to have anymore children they are going to do an ablation .. remove the lining of the uterus. The surgery is Friday. I will be glad to get it done and over with..

Good possibility at my age with this procedure to never have a period again! :D

Darci

Hi Darci, I had two of these done. It was the best thing I ever did. The first one lasted a year and then I had another 1/2 years later and I am lucky if I get my period every 5wks. And when it does come it last 3 days if that and very light. My sister had her ablation done in May and she can't be happier, like a new person. And believe it or not my oldest sister finally listened to us and she is having her ablation done this Friday. And they are both non-celiac. Good luck. it is so worth it. Esp we you know you are having no more children. Lorrie

Hi Darcy,

I had this done about 7 years ago along with the removal of a couple of fibroids. I had sometimes only 8-10 days of non bleeding a month. The rest was spotting and 2 full weeks of true bleeding. It has been wonderful! I barely need a panty liner if anything, even 7 years latter. You'll do great!

I was surprised to find this topic here. I had never heard of Celiacs until the Dr told me he wanted to test for it yesterday. I woke up looking like I have chickenpox, but I had them as a child. The Doc made an off hand comment about "not having the stomache problems, but we'll test you anyway". I always just assumed the stomache issues, headaches, etc etc were just me, just the way it was... bad diet, too much\not enough exercize, stress. Now that I see all the symptoms in one neat list that reads like this is my life? Wow. And I have to wonder if there isn't a relationship to the long periods as well. I fought with those symptoms until I just couldn't live with them anymore before the ablasion.

Tammiejo

Thanks everyone for sharing your experiences.. see Susan it is better than a hysterectomy!

I am also having my tubes tied.. figured since I had to go into an ambulatory surgery center at the hospital might as well get that done too.. both will be a relief to have it done and over with...

Susan this is the procedure and method my doctor is using:

http://www.novasure.com/irregular-period/e...al-ablation.cfm

Hi Darcy,

I had this done about 7 years ago along with the removal of a couple of fibroids. I had sometimes only 8-10 days of non bleeding a month. The rest was spotting and 2 full weeks of true bleeding. It has been wonderful! I barely need a panty liner if anything, even 7 years latter. You'll do great!

I was surprised to find this topic here. I had never heard of Celiacs until the Dr told me he wanted to test for it yesterday. I woke up looking like I have chickenpox, but I had them as a child. The Doc made an off hand comment about "not having the stomache problems, but we'll test you anyway". I always just assumed the stomache issues, headaches, etc etc were just me, just the way it was... bad diet, too much\not enough exercize, stress. Now that I see all the symptoms in one neat list that reads like this is my life? Wow. And I have to wonder if there isn't a relationship to the long periods as well. I fought with those symptoms until I just couldn't live with them anymore before the ablasion.

Tammiejo