This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Small Bowel Biopsy Results In.

Guest scully

Guest scully

I don't know how this is possible. I have suffered for such a long time with gastrointestinal issues and now they tell me that everything looks good in there? How can my insides look so good when I feel so bad?

My small bowel biopsy revealed no celiac disease--they took 6 samples. My stomach itself looked just fine on camera, no irritation present. In fact, the Grade 2 ulcer in my esophagus has miraculously healed itself since the last endoscopy I had a year ago. Amazing since I was still having acid reflux nearly every single day and the Nexium and Protonix weren't working and I eliminated a lot of things from my diet. All I am taking now is Pepcid, 80 milligrams a day, and DGL licorice (760 mg at every meal). *shakes head*

My husband wants me to do the bloodwork with EnteroLab, but is it even worth it? Obviously there is "nothing" wrong with me.

I just don't know what would be explaining the diarrhea, constipation, nausea, bloating, weight gain, distention.

And before anyone says "get checked for ovarian cancer", I have already been there, done that. I had a friend harping on me to get tested, and my pelvic exam was normal, and my OB/GYN said that a CA-125 blood screening was not their first line of defense when looking for ovarian cancer, didn't think it necessary, and encouraged me to follow through with the GI testing.

I still feel that, with my family history of GI problems, wheat/malt allergies, etc., that it is worth trying a gluten-free diet for a while. ??? What do you all think? I am really at a loss here and was disgusted with my results. I don't want a disease, but if they could find the CAUSE of my problems, I could fix it. This just basically tells me nothing and sends me back to square one.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

ShayFL Enthusiast

Fortunately, you do not need a doctors permission to try a gluten free diet. And it can be very healthy if you choose lots of whole foods: lean meats, eggs, nuts & seeds, veggies, fruits, brown rice, whole grains, etc.

I have used Enterolab twice. I felt it was worth it. I also used them for genetic testing which was consistent with my results from Kimball Labs for genetic.

Mtndog Collaborator

Just because the doctor/tests say you're fine doesn't mean you feel fine. You might not have celiac and be gluten intolerant, or they might not have found the damage. My PCP told me, after my biopsy came back negative but I felt much better on the diet that no test is 100% accurate all the time.

Try going gluten-free and see if it eases your symptoms. It definitely eased mine!

ravenwoodglass Mentor

Not a lot of time so to put it plainly and simply if I had waited until tests showed I was celiac I would be dead. Dietary response is also a valid form of diagnosis and for some of us the only way until testing is improved. Thanks to a savvy allergist and an elimination diet and challenge I was finally diagnosed.

Amber M Explorer
I don't know how this is possible. I have suffered for such a long time with gastrointestinal issues and now they tell me that everything looks good in there? How can my insides look so good when I feel so bad?

My small bowel biopsy revealed no celiac disease--they took 6 samples. My stomach itself looked just fine on camera, no irritation present. In fact, the Grade 2 ulcer in my esophagus has miraculously healed itself since the last endoscopy I had a year ago. Amazing since I was still having acid reflux nearly every single day and the Nexium and Protonix weren't working and I eliminated a lot of things from my diet. All I am taking now is Pepcid, 80 milligrams a day, and DGL licorice (760 mg at every meal). *shakes head*

My husband wants me to do the bloodwork with EnteroLab, but is it even worth it? Obviously there is "nothing" wrong with me.

I just don't know what would be explaining the diarrhea, constipation, nausea, bloating, weight gain, distention.

And before anyone says "get checked for ovarian cancer", I have already been there, done that. I had a friend harping on me to get tested, and my pelvic exam was normal, and my OB/GYN said that a CA-125 blood screening was not their first line of defense when looking for ovarian cancer, didn't think it necessary, and encouraged me to follow through with the GI testing.

I still feel that, with my family history of GI problems, wheat/malt allergies, etc., that it is worth trying a gluten-free diet for a while. ??? What do you all think? I am really at a loss here and was disgusted with my results. I don't want a disease, but if they could find the CAUSE of my problems, I could fix it. This just basically tells me nothing and sends me back to square one.

I feel the same way, my endescope and blood tests came back negative. My Allergist had already had me to the Challenge diet, I started getting better off the gluten, and worse back on. I am only 3 months gluten free. I was feeling better, but lately bad again. Lots of neurological symptoms and my colon feels on fire. I have thought my- self of ovarian cancer. My next step is colonoscopy and ovary ultrasound. My acid reflux was so bad for over 5 years I took various acid reducers. I read (about a month ago) of how the long term use of acid reducers can cause digestive and malabsorption problems. Then I read about digestive enzymes ( not the fruit ones) and started them going off the acid reducers cold turkey. I have just about gotten rid of the acid reflux. I don't eat much after supper and sometimes have to sleep on two pillows for 1/2 the night. But I am getting there. I feel like I am at square one sometimes and then I'm sure its wheat. Would'nt hurt to try gluten free. Good luck!

Archived