• Join Our Community!

Do you have questions about celiac disease or the gluten-free diet?

mindwiped

'white' Bread Giggle

Rate this topic

OK, I'm at my local Hy-vee, grabbing the kinnickkinnick 'graham' crackers, which are labeled 'Smore-ables.' At the check out line, the checker is really looking at them, so I mention nice, wheat free graham crackers. At this point she mentions that she doesn't like wheat either, she likes white better. So, I go into teacher mode, and mention that white bread has wheat too, and these are completely different, which just about had her jaw on the floor with astonishment. I was nice, and not snarky, but this was my first 'white' isn't wheat experience, and I knew that there was a thread about this that had me rolling laughing at the ignorance of others, so I wanted to share my newest educating others moment.

hehehe I have dealt with the same issues. I give a little bit of info too but you have to remember not to many people know there are allergies to wheat. Most people I have spoke to about this just dont understand how one could be allergic to it. And yes most assume its still ok for you to eat white bread or a chocolate cake but you can not blame them for not knowing.

I still remember the day the nurse called me and told me I had Celiac Disease and I couldnt eat wheat anymore. I had pasta for dinner that night. The doctor gave me no information, I did so much research and was lucky enough to find this site which I am so thankful for.

When I had to explain it all to my mom, I just used the word flour. She didn't know there were gluten-free flours but she understood-anything made with flour. Then I explained the types of flours that were ok to eat.

When I was a kid everyone ate wheat bread (the dark stuff) but I ate white only :lol:

Its amazing how many people out there dont understand what it means to have a wheat allergy - and arent even aware of what foods contain wheat!

I live in Australia and recently went on an awesome holiday with my best mate to America!

We booked a bus tour to the Grand Canyon (from Vegas) and the tour price included a sandwich and snacks for lunch. I spoke to the booking agent and asked if they could make me a salad instead because I cant eat wheat. He replied with "So....can you eat white bread??". Hilarious!

In the end, I was given a salad for lunch........which was covered in Ranch Dressing. hmmm.

So I'm guessing I must be a bit of a country girl then, because I've never NOT know that 'white' flour had wheat in it. Of course, I'm in wheat growing land, so that may be the difference. When we got dh's diagnosis, I knew at once how many starchy foods we were going to be giving up. The things I screwed up on were the more hidden glutens, barley malt in rice crispies, flour in the condensed soups (I was sure they'd use cornstarch). But here we are almost 8 years with the diet, and he's feeling better, and is complaining that he's lost his 29 inch waist (I'm glad because the extra 5 inches mean he's actually absorbing the nutrients). I just wished that Trader Joe's would hurry up and expand to the midwest. We've got a Whole Foods, but if both were here, maybe prices would drop a little due to competition.

So I'm guessing I must be a bit of a country girl then, because I've never NOT know that 'white' flour had wheat in it. Of course, I'm in wheat growing land, so that may be the difference. When we got dh's diagnosis, I knew at once how many starchy foods we were going to be giving up. The things I screwed up on were the more hidden glutens, barley malt in rice crispies, flour in the condensed soups (I was sure they'd use cornstarch). But here we are almost 8 years with the diet, and he's feeling better, and is complaining that he's lost his 29 inch waist (I'm glad because the extra 5 inches mean he's actually absorbing the nutrients). I just wished that Trader Joe's would hurry up and expand to the midwest. We've got a Whole Foods, but if both were here, maybe prices would drop a little due to competition.

I wish we had a Whole Foods. Boise, Idaho has a few health food stores like GNC, a co-op where I buy what I need, but its very limited and they have a small gluten free store but the prices are higher than the co-op, 50 cents to a dollar more on the each product. Plus I live over an hour away. Washington I hear has alot of healthy places. I wish Walmart would get more gluten-free items, they are trying to.