• Join Our Community!

Do you have questions about celiac disease or the gluten-free diet?

melmak5

Uk For The Holidays

Rate this topic

I will be spending 2 weeks in Ireland, Scotland, Whales and England at the end of December and would love suggestions of all sort - food of course very welcome!

Thanks in advance.

I will be spending 2 weeks in Ireland, Scotland, Whales and England at the end of December and would love suggestions of all sort - food of course very welcome!

Thanks in advance.

It is very easy to be gluten-free in the UK as they are a nation who are aware. However, they have different standards than we do and they allow wheat starch in their baked goods. That is not allowed in the US and many people have gotten sick from the wheat starch so I always avoid carbs when in Britain. Their allowed number is up to 200 ppm and here in the US many companies shoot for under 20 ppm....big difference. I have always been able to eat well and stay healthy when there and I've been many times. You are going to love it! Where are you going as far as cities are concerned? I may be able to suggest some good sites to see.

There is also a new Whole Foods Market in the Kensington section of London, near to Kensington Palace, so you may be able to pick up some snacks and food there.

Dublin, Ireland and surrounding towns.

Galway (new years eve)

Hey-on-wye, Wales (used book stores galore!)

London, England

Possibly some time in Scotland.

GOOD NEWS - I will have access to a kitchen for Christmas and Boxing day!

Dublin, Ireland and surrounding towns.

Galway (new years eve)

Hey-on-wye, Wales (used book stores galore!)

London, England

Possibly some time in Scotland.

GOOD NEWS - I will have access to a kitchen for Christmas and Boxing day!

I have been to Ireland a few times and gluten free food is easy to come by. In restaurants everybody knows what is gluten free. It is true that in Europe they use wheat starch CODEX grade (less than 200 ppm of gluten) and it does not bother me.

In Galway, one if not the oldest pub, King's Head has a gluten free sandwich menu. They will do any sandwich with gluten free bread.

You can also go into any TESCO supermarket and find tons of gluten free stuff.

most of the products are clearly labeled.

Never been to Scotland.

London is also easy to figure out. Not as readily available gluten free food as Ireland but most Indian places have great food that is naturally made without gluten so it is only an issue of making sure there is no cross-contamination.

You are gonna have a fabulous time! Love the UK!!

I was there pre-gluten-free, so I can't offer food tips, but everything shuts down on the holidays, so do ALL your food shopping ahead of time.

jealous jealous jealous

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Top Posters +

• Upcoming Events

• May 22, 2019 04:00 PM Until 08:00 AM

Celiac Emotional Healing Support Group

Again you are invited to join Johnny Patout, LCSW for Baton Rouge's first emotional healing support group meeting to assist those living with celiac disease manage the emotional challenges so many of us face. Most often the emotional disturbances include depression, disinterest in normal activities, insomnia, grief, mood changes, anxiety, inability to concentrate, extreme concern about managing a gluten-free lifestyle and other emotional and behavioral challenges.

The professionals at Jamestown Avenue Counseling Center created the emotional healing support group to give us a safe place to begin to process our emotions and support each other as we heal emotionally while managing celiac disease and the resulting autoimmune disorders.

The emotional healing support group meets every Thursday, 6:00-7:00pm, at the Jamestown Avenue Counseling Center of Baton Rouge. Jamestown Avenue Counseling Center is located at 4637 Jamestown Avenue, Baton Rouge, Suite B-1. Suite B-1 is upstairs.

The support group is free and open everyone managing celiac disease. For more information: emotionalhealingforceliacs@hotmail.com
    • June 01, 2019 Until June 02, 2019
      Nourished Festival is a family-friendly event with 10 locations across the US. Attendees will be able to sample food, health and beauty products, meet with companies, learn about the most current food lifestyles, receive coupons and attend educational sessions with industry experts. 
      Nourished Festival, managed by The Nourished Group and presented by Enjoy Life Foods, is the largest gluten-free, allergy-friendly and specialty diet event in the US, with 10 locations including.
      ABOUT THE NOURISHED FESTIVALS
      Managed by The Nourished Group, formerly The Gluten Free Media Group, The Nourished Festivals are the largest and fastest growing special diet consumer events in the United States. Started in 2007, the events have expanded from one to ten cities throughout the country. The festivals cater to anyone looking to lead a healthier lifestyle or those who follow a specialty diet due to autoimmune conditions, food sensitivities, allergies or intolerances. Offerings including Paleo, Keto, Plant-Based, Gluten-Free, Allergen-Friendly and Nut-Free products. The events provide the opportunity for attendees to sample and purchase new products, receive coupons, meet with brand ambassadors and attend educational classes with industry experts. For more information, visit http://www.nourishedfestival.com 

• July 07, 2019 Until August 03, 2019
      For more information, visit www.kefss.com or call (407) 255-6550. info@kefss.com 

KEF USA Summer Camps Announces the New KEF Gluten-Free Camp in Orlando, Florida for Youths with Celiac Disease.

[Orlando, FL February 6, 2019]-KEF USA is excited to announce that we will offer a new 100% gluten-free camp program to give kids and teens with Celiac Disease a safe, exciting and healthy summer. KEF USA programs offer fun and unique experiences that can only be found in Orlando, Florida. Campers explore the theme parks and local attractions, make new friends, discover new interests and create memories that last a lifetime.