Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

givenupgluten

Dietician In Nyc?

Can anyone recommend a great dietician in the nyc area? I see Dr. Green at the Columbian Celiac Center, however Anne Lee has left, and the nutritionist currently on board does not accept insurance. I would really prefer seeing someone who does accept insurance, seeing as times are tight! I had seen another dietician who was great, but probably isn't quite as thorough re; celiac as I would like. Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Can anyone recommend a great dietician in the nyc area? I see Dr. Green at the Columbian Celiac Center, however Anne Lee has left, and the nutritionist currently on board does not accept insurance. I would really prefer seeing someone who does accept insurance, seeing as times are tight! I had seen another dietician who was great, but probably isn't quite as thorough re; celiac as I would like. Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

I had a lot of tests done at Columbia's Celiac Center, paid for by my insurance. When I saw Anne Lee, she did not accept my insurance, and I'm not sure whether she was taking any others, either. A friend of mine, who also has Celiac, has recently gone to a dietician in NYC that did not accept his insurance, so he also paid cash. He said that the only way his insurance will pay for a dietician is in the case of diabetes. It's probabaly because most dieticians are not doctors.

Celiac diagnosis from positive blood work & endoscope (2005)

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 2,3 Subtype 2,8 (double Celiac genes)

Just pony up and see Green's nutritionist. She is as good as you'll find in the city, and the cost could be worse. I give her mucho credit for identifying a major secondary food allergy that I could not pin down.

I had a lot of tests done at Columbia's Celiac Center, paid for by my insurance. When I saw Anne Lee, she did not accept my insurance, and I'm not sure whether she was taking any others, either. A friend of mine, who also has Celiac, has recently gone to a dietician in NYC that did not accept his insurance, so he also paid cash. He said that the only way his insurance will pay for a dietician is in the case of diabetes. It's probabaly because most dieticians are not doctors.

Just curious to know if you appealed the decision by your insurance company who did not cover the cost of a nutrition consult in Celiac Disease. My own insurance denied it, but was covered when it went through the medical review process. As we all know, the only treament for Celiac disease is dietary modification.

For the record, I am insured by Blue Cross and Blue Shield. I am also a former nurse case manager who knows if you present a logical case to a review board they aree likely to see it your way.

Do you have insurance through an employer? The Human resources liason with the insurance company can also try to work this into the policy the next time negotiations come up. Just a thought.

Diagnosed January 2007 by + endoscopy/biopsy

Just curious to know if you appealed the decision by your insurance company who did not cover the cost of a nutrition consult in Celiac Disease. My own insurance denied it, but was covered when it went through the medical review process. As we all know, the only treament for Celiac disease is dietary modification.

For the record, I am insured by Blue Cross and Blue Shield. I am also a former nurse case manager who knows if you present a logical case to a review board they aree likely to see it your way.

Do you have insurance through an employer? The Human resources liason with the insurance company can also try to work this into the policy the next time negotiations come up. Just a thought.

I now have Blue Cross and Blue Shield, but was insured by United Health Care when I had medical tests done at Columbia Celiac Center

We did not petition the insurance company for payment of the dietician servics at Columbia, but your's is a good suggestion for anybody else that goes to a dietician that is not covered.

Celiac diagnosis from positive blood work & endoscope (2005)

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 2,3 Subtype 2,8 (double Celiac genes)

In my case, my insurance DOES cover the cost of seeing a registered dietician/nutritionist, however the Columbia Celiac center's nutritionist does not accept ANY insurance. The nutritionist that I saw most recently did accept my insurance, and I only had to pay a copay. So it's frustrating to think that I could see someone where my cost is covered or shell out 100-200 dollars to see someone else. Plus, I really just don't have that kind of money right now. Can anyone recommend someone who does accept insurance and also has some specialty in celiac? I'm also vegetarian (mostly vegan really) with some other food allergies...and I need to lose weight if you can believe that! haha...I've never been so restricted in my diet in my life, and yet I'm still slightly overweight :(

I have an appointment at Columbia for my teenage daughter. I was told by the dietician that I could see her and have the appt covered by insurance if I brought my daughter to see one of the doctors there first. I have to bring all her diagnositic results with me. We have Oxford insurance, and they have a list of dieticians you can see, as well. The appointments are scheduled with 15 minutes of each other.

I wanted to post a correction. Oxford will pay for the nutritionist to see my daughter at the pediatric Celiac Center, but will not pay for me to see a nutritionist while a patient of a doctor at the adult Celiac Center. The fee is $200.