This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Where Your Contribution Counts!
    eNewsletter
    Support Us!

I Hate The Smell Of Bread

jsb727

jsb727 Newbie

So, I'm curious... I've always hated the smell of bread... for as long as I can remember. And if I were to eat bread (or doughnuts or cinnamon rolls, etc.), I would feel like I do when I'm carsick. I'm wondering if this was my body's way of telling me to STAY AWAY. But, on the other hand, I've always loved other baked goods like cookies, cake, brownies, and coffee cake. And I could eat tons of that stuff and never feel sick. The only way I could eat a sandwich and not have my stomach feel queasy is if the sandwich was LOADED with stuff, like tons of meat and cheese and other things. Anybody have any ideas on why that would be? I just remember everybody always thought I was crazy for hating the smell of bread. Just the smell of it would make me feel sick to my stomach. I hate walking down the bread aisle. Has anyone else experienced this?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

DarkIvy Explorer

I love and have always loved the smell of bread, or any other baked goods as long as I can remember. In fact, sometimes I've fount that I love the smell more than I like eating what caused the smell ;)

It might be an emotional thing, though. When I was really little, my dad took later shifts so he could stay home with my sister and I during the day. If we didn't have school or were sick or were on break, he'd often bake with us, haha. My mom can't bake, but my dad loves to bake. I'm really close to my dad, so some of my favorite memories are hanging out with dad, bakin' so bread or cookies at home. We also lived kind of close to this bread bakery when I was a kid, and my parents would always roll down the car windows as we drove by and breathe in the yummy smells.

They say that scent is a very strong memory provoker, and while I don't necessarily remember specific memories when I smell baking stuff, it just generally has an all over happy, good feeling to me.

I try to make new baking memories now... my boyfriend makes me gluten-free cookies all the time (okay, lets be real, he loves them so much he mostly just makes them for himself, but who cares? haha), and whenever I'm home for a few days, my dad and I experiment with gluten-free baking. We've found some really good prepackaged mixes that smell just like the real deal when baking, so I love it. We're trying to find a way to make gluten-free Pitiza Bread... it's this old Yugoslavian bread roll type thing where cinnamon, butter, and nuts are rolled into it jelly roll style. My grandma makes this every holiday season, and it's kind of an "essential" Christmas food in my family. Trying to "roll" gluten-free bread mix is a nightmare though, so we're just hoping to get something that kind of resembles the taste, smell, and texture, even if it's not pretty, haha.

Like you, though, I hate going into the bread aisle. For me it's different, I live the smell and can't have any of it, so I fly through that section of the store as quickly as possible and "hold my breath" the whole way, lol.

missy'smom Collaborator

Maybe it has something to do with the yeast?

jsb727 Newbie
Maybe it has something to do with the yeast?

I have actually thought about that. I'm not sure how to tell if that's the case. I don't know that I've ever tried a yeast-free bread. Do they make a yeast free, gluten free bread?

missy'smom Collaborator

I know that the Namaste pizza mix is yeast free and they may have others that are too.

ShayFL Enthusiast

Yeast was my FIRST thought too. The baked goods you do like dont have yeast.

jerseyangel Proficient
I have actually thought about that. I'm not sure how to tell if that's the case. I don't know that I've ever tried a yeast-free bread. Do they make a yeast free, gluten free bread?

Ener-G makes one....it's not that good, though.

In the cook book "The Gluten Free Kitchen" by Roben Ryberg, there are recipes for breads and things that do call for yeast--but it's just there for the taste and can be omitted.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

confused Community Regular

I have never liked the smell of bread or even liked bread. If i had to eat bread growing up, it had to be toasted or have tons of cheese on it. I also would never eat the crust. I think my body was telling me to stay away from bread.

paula

Ms. Skinny Chic Explorer
So, I'm curious... I've always hated the smell of bread... for as long as I can remember. And if I were to eat bread (or doughnuts or cinnamon rolls, etc.), I would feel like I do when I'm carsick. I'm wondering if this was my body's way of telling me to STAY AWAY. But, on the other hand, I've always loved other baked goods like cookies, cake, brownies, and coffee cake. And I could eat tons of that stuff and never feel sick. The only way I could eat a sandwich and not have my stomach feel queasy is if the sandwich was LOADED with stuff, like tons of meat and cheese and other things. Anybody have any ideas on why that would be? I just remember everybody always thought I was crazy for hating the smell of bread. Just the smell of it would make me feel sick to my stomach. I hate walking down the bread aisle. Has anyone else experienced this?

Yes, I hate the smell of corn bread and I dislike corn period...

DarkIvy Explorer
I have never liked the smell of bread or even liked bread. If i had to eat bread growing up, it had to be toasted or have tons of cheese on it. I also would never eat the crust. I think my body was telling me to stay away from bread.

paula

I refused to eat at Subway, and most other sandwich places as well. I *liked* the food, but for some reason the thought of eating it made me feel queasy. It had to be a really outstanding sandwich in order for me to order it somewhere. I liked paninis a lot, but they tasted better than the other crap, so I think I was just able to get over my queasy feeling for stuff like that.

I bet it was the same thing... my body just trying to trick me into not eating it.

loco-ladi Contributor

Until about a yeaqr or so ago I always enjoyed the smell of baked goods of any kind....

One summer day last year my hubby went into the local bakery for some "long Johns" for his father and forgot the checkbook, he asked if I could bring it to him.......

I walked into the bakery and had a panic attack, couldn't breathe, couldn't move, was HORRIBLE!

the smell of baked goods in my house doesn't bother me but apparently bakeries are now off limits.

Pyro Enthusiast

I've always hated that "wet dog" smell as long as I could remember. And I would always not finish the bun on burgers, have bun free hot dogs, NEVER have bread with meals, not feast on cake etc... Until I started cutting it out, and now I "miss" it. Well, did until I decided to go out and see what exactly I was missing.

You're like me and like the fatty desserts. Brownies and cookies smell and taste great. Their secret is sticks and sticks of yummy butter! Too bad that's out of the question at least for me.

Archived