• Join Our Community!

Do you have questions about celiac disease or the gluten-free diet?

Ms. Skinny Chic

Geographic Tongue

Rate this topic

I have the worst geographic tongue in the world! I cannot find out what makes it bad. It gets so painful that I cannot eat sometimes. Every doctor I have ever seen says that GT is a benign condition and they cannot do anything about it. What makes something benign? If it affects my day to day life does it still fall in the category of benign?

I have the worst geographic tongue in the world! I cannot find out what makes it bad. It gets so painful that I cannot eat sometimes. Every doctor I have ever seen says that GT is a benign condition and they cannot do anything about it. What makes something benign? If it affects my day to day life does it still fall in the category of benign?

It is the worst thing ever... Eating is hard enough with celiac disease, but a delicate tongue makes it worse.

Do you have problems with spices?

It is the worst thing ever... Eating is hard enough with celiac disease, but a delicate tongue makes it worse.

Do you have problems with spices?

I have not been able to pin point what triggers it. Once I have a "flair up" I can hardly eat anything.

I have not been able to pin point what triggers it. Once I have a "flair up" I can hardly eat anything.

I have suffered from GT since my teens (I am in my early 40's now). Mine also get very painful. For me it is all citrus fruits and anything containing them. Very spicy foods will sometimes set it off. I used to love margaritas but within 1/2 hour of drinking one, will get the small fissure that will eventually spread over my tounge. I've noticed since I've been gluten free that it does go away quicker now and I never get canker sores anymore. Hope you find what's causing yours.

I have had GT since my teens and it did improve some since going gluten-free.

Doctors don't have a pill to prescribe, so I think that's when they term it benign. ;)

There is speculation that vitamin or nutrient defiencies contribute or cause it. So if you find something that works, let me know.

Laura

I have had GT since my teens and it did improve some since going gluten-free.

Doctors don't have a pill to prescribe, so I think that's when they term it benign. ;)

There is speculation that vitamin or nutrient defiencies contribute or cause it. So if you find something that works, let me know.

Laura

Any idea of which vitamins or nutrients?

Hi,

I used to get geographical tongue as a teen and so did my siblings. I read in one of Adele Davis' books that it's due to B-vitamin deficiency, but this comment from a biochemist puts another light on it.

http://forums2.gardenweb.com/forums/load/h...9160713007.html

Interesting article... Yeast/ Candida could be the root of the problem..

I always had this unexplained case of Thrush, since I was a kid..

No one could ever figure out.. why either????

Do any of you suffer from thrush symptoms???