This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Green Poop

BemLmom3

BemLmom3 Apprentice

My daughter still having problems. She has to remain on miralax or she goes right back to being constapated. Also she constantly has really green poop. Do I need to bring the green poop up to Gastro?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

mmcdaniels Apprentice

For my son green poop is usually a sign that his system is off so I would bring it up. When Josh's system is off, we see runny neon green poop. I think there is often a cross contanimation issue going on but sometimes I've felt like everything has been done right and we've still had green poop.

Was she checked for impaction? When my son was first diagnosed, we had to clear up an impaction before he could make any progress with diahrea/constipation issues? He had 10-12 slight diahrea bm's daily when he was impacted. He was also on miralax but we haven't needed it for 10 months.

My son was dx last December and went from a short, skinny 7 year old wearning size 5 slim to a medium to tall, somewhat pudgy 8 year old wearning size 10.

mamaesq Rookie

That's interesting. My son has had green poops for years. I have been asking his pediatrician about it for a long time, and I never seem to get any answers. I had him evaluated for celiac last month, and so far his blood tests are normal, but I was just diagnosed and carry DQ2, and I just know that at the very least he's gluten intolerant. I really want to start him on a gluten free diet, but we have to go back and see Dr. Fasano at University of Maryland in December for followup to see if his constipation issues have resolved with miralax. So, I want to wait and see what he suggests.

He'll be 4 next week. At his three year appointment, he weighed 30.4 lbs. In September, he weighed 31.7 lbs. When he stepped on my scale the other morning he was 32.0. He's constantly complaining about his tummy hurting. He's very short for his age. He is very moody. In addition to being green, his poops are very bulky. He also gets canker sores. I know something is going on...

In contrast, my two year old has never had green poop (except once when he was breastfeeding) and is already 29 lbs. AND he is considered to be in the 50th percentile. So he's not even a very big two year old.

KristenPK Rookie
My daughter still having problems. She has to remain on miralax or she goes right back to being constapated. Also she constantly has really green poop. Do I need to bring the green poop up to Gastro?

I'm confused about my daughter's green poop, too. I'm glad you brought this up! She's been on a gluten-free diet for a few weeks, and we're still seeing the neon green poop. She recently had a KUB X-Ray and she definitely has stool backed up in her system. She's been on miralax on two separate occasions (a week each time), and she still has the back-up. I'm not sure what to do--what length of time has everyone else been on prescribed to take miralax??

mindwiped Rookie

Are you feeding your kiddos anything grape or artificial grape flavored? Grape Kool-aid and grape juice can make the poop a green color, as can some of the other artificial colors. You might try switching to Apple based products and not deep purple artificial colored items for a couple of days.

pwalasik Newbie

I am so glad you brought up the "grape" artificial coloring. My daughter, who has Celiac has suffered on and off with green poop for years, she is now 10. When talking to my mother-in-law a few years ago, she mentioned to me that my husband had green poop as a child after eating anything with artificial grape flavoring (jelly, jam, kool-aid, grape flavored medicine, etc...). When I asked my husband about this, who is not Celiac, he confirmed the story and said he still reacts that way to grape flavoring. I am as guilty as the next to blame every intestional reaction to gluten but could you child just be reacting to an artificial coloring? I hope you find an answer soon- Please excuse any spelling errors, I could not get my spell check to work :lol:

Archived