This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Is Smithfield Ham gluten-free? I'm Confused...

ang1e0251

ang1e0251 Contributor

I had a reaction to Smithfield ham that I ate over 3-4 days. My friend, by coincidence, also ate ham during that time and reacted. I don't know what brand she ate. The dextrose was the only thing I wondered about but it s/b OK in the US, right?

"Cured with: water, corn syrup, dextrose, salt, sodium phosphates, sodium erythorbate, sodium nitrite."

Anyone have any ideas? I e-mailed Smithfield but no reply yet.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Lisa Mentor
I had a reaction to Smithfield ham that I ate over 3-4 days. My friend, by coincidence, also ate ham during that time and reacted. I don't know what brand she ate. The dextrose was the only thing I wondered about but it s/b OK in the US, right?

"Cured with: water, corn syrup, dextrose, salt, sodium phosphates, sodium erythorbate, sodium nitrite."

Anyone have any ideas? I e-mailed Smithfield but no reply yet.

I have gotten a very extensive listing of their gluten free products. I can't remember if I got it on line or through e-mail. You can also call them. I was quite impressed. Even the spiral sliced honey baked ham with glaze is NOW gluten free.

I see no gluten in the ingredients that you listed. And, you are correct about the dextrose, otherise, it would be listed at "dextrose (wheat)"

What were the circumstances that you and your friend ate the ham....home, restaurant, social gathering? CC could be a possibility.

Smithfield is a good company.

ang1e0251 Contributor

We both, unbeknownst to each other, had ham in our homes. My mom bought the ham shared & I had it for breakfast several mornings. I experienced what I call a "slow burn reaction". It takes 3-4 continuous use days for me to fianlly have a reaction, seems like it adds up over the days. My friend also ate in her home from ham she personally bought & ate over several days. We both were together on "reaction day" & compared notes. She's been at this for about 15 years. I'm a one year rookie. I couldn't think what mine was but when she mentioned she thought hers was the ham she had eaten, I said, " I had ham, too!" I didn't have any more after that day & the problems cleared up. So that is all I could think it could be. I didn't eat out and everything else was my normal.

In the spring I had another "slow burn" that I traced to the syrups in my coffee bar. It was the caramel coloring. I know, I shouldn't be sensitive to that but that is what it was. The company was to send me the breakdown but never did. I tolerate any of the syrups that do not contain caramel coloring.

Should I be avoiding Dextrose?

happygirl Collaborator

Dextrose is fine, unless it states it comes from wheat.

Wheat dextrose, or dextrose (wheat).

Lisa Mentor

Just because something does not have gluten in it, doesn't mean that some of us don't react to some things. No rule book here B) Everyone is different.

debmidge Rising Star
We both, unbeknownst to each other, had ham in our homes. My mom bought the ham shared & I had it for breakfast several mornings. I experienced what I call a "slow burn reaction". It takes 3-4 continuous use days for me to fianlly have a reaction, seems like it adds up over the days. My friend also ate in her home from ham she personally bought & ate over several days. We both were together on "reaction day" & compared notes. She's been at this for about 15 years. I'm a one year rookie. I couldn't think what mine was but when she mentioned she thought hers was the ham she had eaten, I said, " I had ham, too!" I didn't have any more after that day & the problems cleared up. So that is all I could think it could be. I didn't eat out and everything else was my normal.

In the spring I had another "slow burn" that I traced to the syrups in my coffee bar. It was the caramel coloring. I know, I shouldn't be sensitive to that but that is what it was. The company was to send me the breakdown but never did. I tolerate any of the syrups that do not contain caramel coloring.

Should I be avoiding Dextrose?

I have a question: Are you basting your ham with a rubber blub baster which

was used in past with a gluten/bread stuffed bird? Or any pan with gluten

residue you cannot scrub off?

JoD Newbie

I have heard that it is just fine. I'm in the restaurant industry as well as a chef.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

ang1e0251 Contributor

I'm really stumped and at a loss whether or not I can eat ham now.

I did not baste it mearly fried it with my eggs in my regular pan with my regular utensils. These are the ones I use daily.

I don't know about my friend. She mentioned she used the ham to canned bean soup but as I said, she is an old hand at this so I know she is careful about her preperation. She has a mixed household.

Any other ideas? I sure would like to understand it.

DMarie Apprentice

My daughter felt bad after eating some ham (it was lunch meat ham that looks to be okay). She really thinks it is the ham. My only thought is - are there nitrates/nitrites in it? Maybe the preservative is causing a problem? I'll have to check the ham we had. But since then I purchased some Hormel Naturals ham and turkey lunch meat - which seems to be working fine - and doesn't have any of the "extras" that many others have. I am good with purchasing that since in my opinion, less is more when it comes to food.

Lisa Mentor

There is a list of gluten free products from Smithfield Foods. It can either be found on line or by phone. It's fairly extensive. I have a copy, but I can't put my hands on it at the moment.

lovegrov Collaborator

If there's a grain used in the ham it has to be listed. This includes barley. Dextrose is a safe ingredient. DEXTRIN can be made from wheat, but the wheat would have to be listed.

richard

ang1e0251 Contributor

Now that I have been reading about nitrites and nitrates, I wonder if I was reacting to those. Good call, DMarie. I will watch out for those. I seldom eat lunchmeats or ham. But now I know that I might not tolerate nitrites & nitrates.

Lisa Mentor
Now that I have been reading about nitrites and nitrates, I wonder if I was reacting to those. Good call, DMarie. I will watch out for those. I seldom eat lunchmeats or ham. But now I know that I might not tolerate nitrites & nitrates.

Sometimes we just never know. Maybe you can wait some time and try it again. Or, maybe not. :P

Archived