This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Differnces Please

kezee

kezee Newbie

please can some one tell me please

how to get tested for a food sensetivity

how to get tested for a food intolorence

how to get tested for a food allergy

THANKS

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

ShayFL Enthusiast

For a food sensitivity/intolerance you can use ELISA. There are many companies that do this testing with A.L.C.A.T. being the most widely known. You have to take out the dots when you do a Google search for it. York labs is another lab that does them. They are not 100% accurate and you will want do do a lot of research before you purchase these expensive tests.

The most accurate way to test for sensitivity/intolerance is an elimination diet. There are many websites and books that can help you with this.

For a food allergy, you need to go to an Allergist, which is an M.D. that specializes in allergy. A real doctor.

For Celiac, you MUST go to a regular M.D. for proper evaluation and testing. Or you can purchase a full Celiac panel online through Direct Labs or other online labs (no doctor required). But I recommend going to a real doctor first.

kezee Newbie

ALLERGIES

SHAY THE ALLLERGIST SKIN TEST THAT THE ALLERGIST DOES I HAVE HEARD ARE NOT RELIABLE TESTS WHAT IS YOUR VIEW ON THIS PLEASE AND IS IT WORTH NOT GOING TO THE ALLERGIST OR ORDERING A ELISA OR THE A.L.C.A.T. TEST YOU METIONED BUT ONCE AGAIN RELABLITY AND EXPENSE WHAT IS YOUR VIEW???

INTORENCES/SENSATIVES

SHAY WITH THE ELIMATION DIET HOW WOULD YOU KNOW IN THE FIRST PLACE WHAT TO ELIMATE????? IF MOST OF THE TESTS ARE NOT THAT ACCURATE SO HOW WOULD YOU KNOW WHAT TO START ELIMATIING FROM THE DIET IN THE FIRST PLACE PLEASE? THATS WHAT IM CONFUSED ON

ALSO WHAT DO YOU THINK OF THE PANEL TEST FROM ENTEROLAB FOR SENTIVITES AND INTORENCES IS RELIABLE???AS I THINKING OF GETTING IT DONE BUT THEY ARE EXPENSIVE AND DONT WANT TO WASTE MY MONEY ON TESTS THAT MAY BE FALSE? IM REALLY NEEDING A RELIABLE TEST THEN MAYBE WILLING TO SEE THE RESULTS THEN TRYING THE ELIMATION DIET TO SEE IF THESE TESTS ARE ANY GOOD AT DETECTING WHAT IS REALLY TRUE SENSATIVITY

Mother of Jibril Enthusiast

A skin test for allergies is not very expensive and it is very accurate. They scratch the surface of your skin with potential allergens (food products, mold, dust mites, etc...) and if you're allergic there will be an IgE histamine response that creates a welt on your skin (like a mosquito bite). The thing is... only 1-2% of people have a real food allergy. These can be very dangerous (even fatal), so if you think you might have a food allergy it's very important to see a real allergist and be tested.

Like Shay, I've also heard/read that elimination diets are the best way to detect food intolerances, but you have to be patient. It you're intolerant to more than one food it can take months to figure it out. The most common foods that people have a problem with are gluten, casein (the protein in cow's milk), soy, corn, nuts, citrus, eggs, seafood, fish, and nightshades (eggplant, tomato, etc...), but it's possible to have other intolerance(s). A good nutritionist or naturopathic doctor could help, especially if you're having a serious problem and need to go on a very restrictive diet, adding back one food at a time to see if your body can handle it.

Do NOT start a very restrictive diet on your own. Get medical advice first.

ShayFL Enthusiast

No test is 100% accurate ELISA or skin scratch. But the skin scratch is very reliable for true allergies (the type where you get swelling, hives, anaphylaxis, etc.)

An elimination diet IS accurate. There are books and websites to help you, but as MOJ says, seek some professional assistance first.

This site does a pretty good job of explaining it. I am not endorsing this site, just one I found that looked pretty good to help you out:

Open Original Shared Link

P.S. Just so you know....using ALL CAPS.....is the equivalent of SCREAMING!!!!! when you are posting online. Plus it is very hard to read. :rolleyes:

kezee Newbie
A skin test for allergies is not very expensive and it is very accurate. They scratch the surface of your skin with potential allergens (food products, mold, dust mites, etc...) and if you're allergic there will be an IgE histamine response that creates a welt on your skin (like a mosquito bite). The thing is... only 1-2% of people have a real food allergy. These can be very dangerous (even fatal), so if you think you might have a food allergy it's very important to see a real allergist and be tested.

Like Shay, I've also heard/read that elimination diets are the best way to detect food intolerances, but you have to be patient. It you're intolerant to more than one food it can take months to figure it out. The most common foods that people have a problem with are gluten, casein (the protein in cow's milk), soy, corn, nuts, citrus, eggs, seafood, fish, and nightshades (eggplant, tomato, etc...), but it's possible to have other intolerance(s). A good nutritionist or naturopathic doctor could help, especially if you're having a serious problem and need to go on a very restrictive diet, adding back one food at a time to see if your body can handle it.

Do NOT start a very restrictive diet on your own. Get medical advice first.

HEY THANKS FOR REPLY YOU HAVE BEEN HELPFULL SO I SHOULD NOT GET A TEST FROM ENTERLO LAB AND JUST GO TO A DIETICIAN IS BETTER TO DO ELMINATION RATHER THEN THE TEST I JUST WANT TO KNOW DOES IT TAKE A VERY LONG PROCESS IN FIND INTORENCES???

AND I THINK I WILL TRUST YOUR ADVICE AND GO SEE A ALLERGIST EVEN IF THERE SEEMS TO BE A LOT OF PEOPLE SAY ITS NOT ACCURATE AND DID NOT PICK UP ON THERE ALLEGIES BUT I THINK I WILL TAKE YOUR ADVICE AND GO BUT JUST ONE THING WHAT DO YOU MEAN WHEN YOU SAY TRUE ALLERGY SO WILL IT NOT PICK IT UP IF IT IS NOT A TRUE ALLERGY

CAN I ASK WHY ALLLERGIES ARE EASY TO DETECT BY TEST AND INTORENCES HAVE TO BE DONE BY ELIMATION????

ONE LAST THING PLEASE CAN YOU BE ALLEGIC OR SENSATIVE TO YOURGURT AND COTTAGE CHEESE AND NOT MILK I FIND THIS STRANGE THAT YOUGURT AND CHEESE CAME UP BUT NOT MILK ATER ALL MILK IS A DIARY PRODUCT TOO?? THANKS

ShayFL Enthusiast

True allergies (the type where you get swelling, hives, anaphylaxis, etc.) True allergies provoke an immediate response to an allergen (sneezing, hives, throat swelling, eye swelling, etc.) You cannot miss it!

Intolerance/sensitivity (GI symptoms, pimples, neurological symptoms, and many more.) Can be delayed for up to 4 days after eating the offending food. This is why they are so hard to track down. The response is not always immediate.

I feel Enterolab is accurate. And many others do to. But it only tests: gluten, dairy, egg, yeast and soy. There could be all type of intolerances, just look at my signature.

***Please do not use ALL CAPS. Thank you.***

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

LIS-Guy Rookie
I THINK I WILL TRUST YOUR ADVICE AND GO SEE A ALLERGIST EVEN IF THERE SEEMS TO BE A LOT OF PEOPLE SAY ITS NOT ACCURATE

It will be more accurate than a 'vega machine'.

LIS

kezee Newbie
True allergies (the type where you get swelling, hives, anaphylaxis, etc.) True allergies provoke an immediate response to an allergen (sneezing, hives, throat swelling, eye swelling, etc.) You cannot miss it!

Intolerance/sensitivity (GI symptoms, pimples, neurological symptoms, and many more.) Can be delayed for up to 4 days after eating the offending food. This is why they are so hard to track down. The response is not always immediate.

I feel Enterolab is accurate. And many others do to. But it only tests: gluten, dairy, egg, yeast and soy. There could be all type of intolerances, just look at my signature.

***Please do not use ALL CAPS. Thank you.***

THANKYOU YOU ALL YOU GUYS HAVE BEEN VERY HELPFULL FOR ME AND WILL BE HELPFULL FOR ANYONE ELSE WHO FINDS IN DIFFICULT TO UNDERSTAND TESTS AND ALLERGIES AND INTORENES THANKYOU ALL SORRY TAKE CAPS OFF

i think i will use enterolabs for test of intorences then see a dietcian before i do anything

i think i will work on the other intorences that enterolab do not check for by using a elimate test by seeing a dietician and what he shall recomened

as for the true allergies not picked up by the test i do not know what i will do for that but thanks guys if true allergies are not detected by the allergest is this still dangerous???

as you guys did not reply to the other question this one:::

CAN YOU BE ALLEGIC OR SENSATIVE TO YOURGURT AND COTTAGE CHEESE AND NOT MILK THIS IS WHAT VEGA TEST PICKED UP ON I FIND THIS STRANGE THAT YOUGURT AND CHEESE CAME UP BUT NOT MILK ATER ALL MILK IS A DIARY PRODUCT TOO?? THANKS so are the results misleading

sorry for caps on last question i had to copy and paste it

ShayFL Enthusiast

Some people do not tolerate fermented foods (i.e. yogurt, cheese, miso, soy sauce, etc.) That could lend to that result. But usually people are intolerant to either casein or lactose (or both). In general people will react much stronger to milk than yogurt/cheese because the casein and lactose are reduced in those products.

That result alone might make me question the accuracy of the Vega test.

kezee Newbie
Some people do not tolerate fermented foods (i.e. yogurt, cheese, miso, soy sauce, etc.) That could lend to that result. But usually people are intolerant to either casein or lactose (or both). In general people will react much stronger to milk than yogurt/cheese because the casein and lactose are reduced in those products.

That result alone might make me question the accuracy of the Vega test.

YES ME TOO IM DOUBTING THE VEGA TEST I HAD DONE TOO THEY SAY IN THE RIGHT HANDS IT IS VERY ACCURATE I DOUBT THIS I WILL NOW HAVE TO GET RETESTED WITH REAL TESTS

ShayFL Enthusiast

Please read this:

Figuring out intolerances is a very individual process. I'm going to give you a brief description of my timeline (so far), but keep in mind that this is just my personal experience.

After my son was born in February I started having a lot of abdominal symptoms... pain, gas, bloating, and constipation. In April we figured out that my son has a severe intolerance to casein (based on some very specific symptoms that are common to infants with casein intolerance). I took dairy products out of my diet (since I was breastfeeding) and within six weeks he was back to normal. I didn't see any change in my own symptoms.

In August (after consulting with an allergist and having a skin test... which turned up nothing) I decided to try eliminating gluten for two weeks. Within 48 hours I noticed a HUGE improvement. Not 100%, but a lot better. Two months later I'm continuing to see improvements.

Last month I noticed that my son had some eczema and a rash. I thought corn might be the culprit (I had been eating a lot more corn since I went gluten-free). I was surprised to find that when I stopped eating corn the rest of my abdominal symptoms disappeared.

Over the last six months I've slowly noticed some other good changes. My rosacea and acne are going away, I'm not so tired, and I have better concentration. My moods are evening out (nice). I don't know for sure that I've found all my intolerances yet. And who knows... after a few months I might be able to handle corn again. I'll probably give it a try.

I did have genetic testing through Enterolab. I decided that after allergy testing and a celiac panel I didn't need the other tests that Enterolab offers. I found out I have one gene for celiac and one for both gluten intolerance and casein intolerance... so for me personally, that enough to keep them out of my diet forever. Since I already have at least two autoimmune disorders and I had an "unexplained" pregnancy loss at 17 weeks, I am highly motivated to stay on this gluten-free, casein-free diet.

You have to decide what makes sense in your situation. Read, read, read... have some testing done... talk to doctors, but ultimately you have to decide what's best for YOU.

kezee Newbie
Please read this:

yes intresting read i am going to ask him about the results and then get back to you guys let you know what happens

kezee Newbie
Figuring out intolerances is a very individual process. I'm going to give you a brief description of my timeline (so far), but keep in mind that this is just my personal experience.

After my son was born in February I started having a lot of abdominal symptoms... pain, gas, bloating, and constipation. In April we figured out that my son has a severe intolerance to casein (based on some very specific symptoms that are common to infants with casein intolerance). I took dairy products out of my diet (since I was breastfeeding) and within six weeks he was back to normal. I didn't see any change in my own symptoms.

In August (after consulting with an allergist and having a skin test... which turned up nothing) I decided to try eliminating gluten for two weeks. Within 48 hours I noticed a HUGE improvement. Not 100%, but a lot better. Two months later I'm continuing to see improvements.

Last month I noticed that my son had some eczema and a rash. I thought corn might be the culprit (I had been eating a lot more corn since I went gluten-free). I was surprised to find that when I stopped eating corn the rest of my abdominal symptoms disappeared.

Over the last six months I've slowly noticed some other good changes. My rosacea and acne are going away, I'm not so tired, and I have better concentration. My moods are evening out (nice). I don't know for sure that I've found all my intolerances yet. And who knows... after a few months I might be able to handle corn again. I'll probably give it a try.

I did have genetic testing through Enterolab. I decided that after allergy testing and a celiac panel I didn't need the other tests that Enterolab offers. I found out I have one gene for celiac and one for both gluten intolerance and casein intolerance... so for me personally, that enough to keep them out of my diet forever. Since I already have at least two autoimmune disorders and I had an "unexplained" pregnancy loss at 17 weeks, I am highly motivated to stay on this gluten-free, casein-free diet.

You have to decide what makes sense in your situation. Read, read, read... have some testing done... talk to doctors, but ultimately you have to decide what's best for YOU.

hello can i ask when you had a celiac panel test from your gp did it pick up that you had celiac diease as you said enterloab test picked up your celiac geane so did the celiac panel test fail that you had done from your gp

The definition of celiac disease is that your immune system is attacking your intestines. A celiac panel looks for the antigens that cause the destruction (Ttg and EMA). I tested negative... maybe because I had already been off gluten for five weeks, maybe because I had some other problem (IBS, colitis, etc...) instead of celiac disease There's no way to know for sure. We'll see what my new GP says next month.

The gene test doesn't diagnosis celiac. It just indicates your risk for developing the disease. For me, knowing that I have the gene and knowing that I had a GREAT response to the diet is enough to keep me on it.

Every person is different. I've seen a lot of discussion on this board about different reasons for testing.

Archived