This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Breakfast Items?

sungold17

sungold17 Newbie

Hello,

I've been sitting here for a while trying to figure out what specific foods I need to stock my house with as I attempt to have my 4 yr old go gluten-free (to see if he is sensitive to it.) I feel like this list is pretty short because he is a picky eater to start with.

Anyway, I think breakfast will be the hardest meal. The only items I can think of is yogurt or cheese. Everything we normally eat in the morning contains gluten (he doesn't eat eggs or drink milk.) If I can find a gluten-free cereal he can eat that dry. What do you do for breakfast?

I feel this is going to be a big challenge for me! I find it hard enough just to get any type of food on the table most days. I just hope when we go gluten-free it will be clear whether or not he is sensitive to it.

Thanks,

Dawn

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

GFqueen17 Contributor

do you have a health food store near you? if you do, finding something would be extremely easy...they always have plenty of gluten free breads, waffles, cereals, breakfast bars, etc.

i think that the only mainstream cereal that is gluten free is rice chex.

also, something that a regular grocery store might have is larabars...not sure if you've heard of them but i like them alot for breakfast. but im not sure if a 4 year old would or not.

homemade smoothies (just fruit and ice) are good for breakfast too.

good luck!

confused Community Regular

How about bacon sandwhiches on gluten free bread or on a corn tortilla. My kids even eat that and they are not gluten free. Have you tried lara bars for him, he might like those. You can find gluten free panckae mix and make lots of them and freeze them.

What does he like to eat and maybe i can give more ideas

paula

Swansonjohnson Newbie

I have a gluten-free 3 year old who is pretty picky...but you can change their eating little by little.

For dry cereal we do Gorilla Munch and the entire Envirokidz line. They also make crispy rice bars that both my kids love. I make oatmeal in my crockpot everynight so that we can eat if for breakfast in the AM. I put 2 peeled cored and cubed apples in with it...sneaks in some nutrients and makes it sweeter! We do alot of fresh fruit and yogurt, gluten-free frozen waffles, smoothies (yogurt, frozen fruit I sneak other healthy things in there and he never knows)

Hope this helps!

We pretty much do anything...If he wants a grilled cheese...breakfast is pretty much a "your demand will be met" situation in our house...lunch and dinner not so!

Juliebove Rising Star

I have a hard time getting my daughter moving in the morning. If I can get her up, she can have gluten-free pancakes, waffles, French Toast, toast, oatmeal and bacon or ham. Sometimes she just has a banana or other piece of fruit. She can have dairy now so sometimes cottage cheese and fruit or yogurt. Sometimes a bowl of Rice Chex or Pebbles. But most of the time, just a gluten-free bar of some kind. We get Orgran, Enjoy Life and Ener-G. She likes Ener-G chocolate chip the best.

missy'smom Collaborator

sandwiches and fruit (homemade bread)

soup, toast and fruit (often chicken and rice soup Healthy Choice)

Pamela's pancakes, Hormel Naturals Ham or Welshire Farms sausage patties or Whole Foods 365 sausage links or homemade sausage patties(let me know if you'd like the recipe)

on special days or Saturdays I make a fruit sauce with fruit water, cornstarch and sugar for the pancakes or waffles and use a spraycan whipped cream

skillet cornbread wiith a little honey, one of the above meats, homemade apple sauce

Arrowhead Mills Maple Buckwheat Flakes or Rice Chex(General Mills)

apple crisp made with little or no sugar in the fruit part and reduced sugar in the topping(which has oats for a little more nutrition)

scrambled eggs on steamed rice, whatever meat(breakfast or otherwise) that we have

I don't cook all the homemade things in the am, they are made ahead and refrigerated or frozen and we roate between the homemade and the premade convenience foods

purple Community Regular

Personally, I love muffins! I freeze them for my dd all the time so she can have a variety. I make egg free waffles to keep in the freezer to pop in the toaster. Scones are easy filled or topped with fruit. My dd also likes breakfast burritos. Plan ahead and cook extra ham or bacon then freeze it. Make eggs (for yourself) and hashbrowns, top with cheese all on a tortilla. Refried beans and cheese on a tortilla. Pumpkin bread or muffins with chocolate chips...mmm.

Here is a great recipe for egg free waffles:

Open Original Shared Link

I use 1 1/2 cups almond milk and finely chopped almonds and I keep a banana in the freezer for these all the time.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Mother of Jibril Enthusiast

How about grits? They can be sweet (maple syrup, honey, agave) or savory (cheese, fried onions). My all-time favorite is cheese grits with jalapeno peppers for a little kick. Yum! :P

They're very easy to make... it's basically "cream of wheat" except made of corn.

My dad and sister are both picky eaters. They're really affected by the texture of food.

sugarsue Enthusiast
Hello,

I've been sitting here for a while trying to figure out what specific foods I need to stock my house with as I attempt to have my 4 yr old go gluten-free (to see if he is sensitive to it.) I feel like this list is pretty short because he is a picky eater to start with.

Anyway, I think breakfast will be the hardest meal. The only items I can think of is yogurt or cheese. Everything we normally eat in the morning contains gluten (he doesn't eat eggs or drink milk.) If I can find a gluten-free cereal he can eat that dry. What do you do for breakfast?

I feel this is going to be a big challenge for me! I find it hard enough just to get any type of food on the table most days. I just hope when we go gluten-free it will be clear whether or not he is sensitive to it.

Thanks,

Dawn

Hi! The thing that helped me was to realize I didn't have to limit it to breakfast items. My picky 6 yr old often eats Ian's fish sticks, Bell and Evans gluten-free chicken nuggets or gluten-free pasta for breakfast. Here's our list so far. She seems to get one thing she likes, eats that every meal (practically) for 2 weeks and then changes her taste buds. It can drive me mad!

Ians gluten-free French Toast

Ians gluten-free Fish Sticks

Bell and Evans Chicken

Rice Chex (we are dairy free so she'll eat it dry or use Rice Milk)

Turkey bacon w/ mashpotato like a sandwich (she LOVES this)

Rice with butter

Breakfast sausage or chicken sausage

Rice Noodles or any gluten-free pasta with butter

Fruit

Is he allergic to eggs? I also buy gluten-free bread and make french toast w/ cinnamon. Very tasty. I'll make up a bunch and keep in in the fridge to heat up so it's quick.

GOOD LUCK!

Susan

sugarsue Enthusiast
How about grits? They can be sweet (maple syrup, honey, agave) or savory (cheese, fried onions). My all-time favorite is cheese grits with jalapeno peppers for a little kick. Yum! :P

They're very easy to make... it's basically "cream of wheat" except made of corn.

My dad and sister are both picky eaters. They're really affected by the texture of food.

Oooohh, I so wish my dd liked grits! My older dd loves them and so do I.. They are so yummy! I made cream of rice today and older dd loved that too but my gluten-free girl just won't go for them right now.

Susan

jzmom Rookie

Enviro kidz organic gorilla cereal (has cartoon picture on box)

Gluten Free pancake mix is a thumbs up from my son (the directions leave the batter very thick I add x-tra liquid)

If your child can eat fruit make fruit bowls and smoothies

I was told not to give the child any of the same foods more than once in a four day period so I found 4 different cereals. I belive this is because he has so many allergies the immune system may start to build an intolerance to foods commonly used. Hope that helped.

sugarsue Enthusiast

I just got a big hit with Trader Joes Gluten Free, Dairy Free pancakes. She used to not like them but now is enjoying them!

fleckapo Newbie

we have trader joe's gluten-free waffles and pancakes (they come in all sorts of flavors). also the envirokids cereals are pretty good. if you don't want to get "special" foods for breakfast. fruity pebbles, cocoa pebbles, rice chex, and i believe trix cereals are all gluten-free. they probably aren't the healthiest foods, but it's hard with a kid who already has their own tastes.

mushroom Proficient

My favorite healthy breakfast is yogurt (with some flax seed oil stirred in), a gluten-free muesli (Trader Joes makes a great one though it is a bit on the sweet side), a sprinkling of flaked almonds and the fruit of your choice on top (Kiwi, berries, banana, frozen blueberries, whatever strikes your daughter's fancy.

TrillumHunter Enthusiast

I have a non-breakfast foods kid. She eats whatever she wants--that isn't extra work! I couldn't do it, but she's eaten spaghetti and meatballs, pot roast, pizza and lots of other things for breakfast. I had to let go of what I thought was acceptable breakfast food and it has worked well for us.

Fiddle-Faddle Community Regular

I would just make whatever he is used to eating for breakfast, but make it gluten-free.

If he's used to toast, make him gluten-free toast. If he likes pancakes or waffles, make them but make them gluten-free (they are ridiculously easy to make from scratch, it's just like making them with regular flour).

If he's used to cereal, find a gluten-free cereal (rice chex is gluten-free), and use almond milk, or rice milk (but not Rice Dream, it SAYS gluten-free but contains gluten), or soy milk. If he balks at the different milk, make him chocolate milk with it for a few days, he should like it then!

As he gets used to them, the wheat cravings should go away, and he might then be more amenable to non-bread kinds of foods.

tpineo Rookie
Hello,

Thanks,

Dawn

While there are lots good gluten-free options for breakfast foods, one lesson I have learned is that a celiac kid does not need to eat breakfast foods for breakfast or dinner foods for dinner. My daughter loves to eat rice and other leftovers from dinner for her breakfast.

Typical breakfast foods that my daughter likes: Kinnikinnick bagels, toast (Kinnikinnick bread), waffles/pancakes from Kinnikinnick mix, Enviro Kids cereals, Enviro kids cereal bars, only oats apple and cinnamon gluten-free oatmeal

Hope that helps- Tania

larry mac Enthusiast

First off, breakfast for dinner OK, dinner for breakfast NOT OK!

Secondly, I'm pretty sure fish sticks for breakfast is against the law in many states. You might want to check. :rolleyes:

best regards, lm

Archived