This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

What Is Your Fav Gf Dessert?

mushimushi2004

mushimushi2004 Rookie

My celiac has got to a new level. I have developed allergies to soy, dairy, gums, yeast, and eggs. Those are just the foods that affect my baking that I can think off. Oh and I don't eat sugar! Is there anyone out there like me?? Hopefully there is and can tell me something to make! I can use fruits for sweetening and that is good for me. I like things like applesauce cake but with cake you have to use gums with the gluten-free flour! So what about a pancake recipe that would serve as a dessert for me or a muffin. I don't think you have to use gums with muffins, do you?

Thanks for any help,

Del

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

tarnalberry Community Regular

my favorite desserts are the simple ones - fruit! a bowl full of strawberries, a cup of hot chocolate (you can use unsweetened cocoa, water, and a bit of a clever fruit juice (like blueberry or cranberry) for a fun taste), a mango, a banana with walnuts and cinnamon.

(I don't use gum in my muffins... I just use the regular recipes and sub in gluten-free flour... or I make up a recipe ;-). A lot of quick breads (like banana bread) don't need gum either.)

mushimushi2004 Rookie

Great suggestion about hot chocolate! I have been trying to figure out how I could do something like that but never thought to use fruit!

Could you post maybe 1-2 of your fav quick breads? I would certainly appreciate it. I just can't find a combination of flours I like. Don't know which combination is best for what? I have done a small amount of experimenting. I made a mango/pineapple cake the other day. I used the 3 rice flours blend and stevia instead of sugar. It smelled good looked good was moist, my family loved it but I could taste a funny taste. I suspect it was one of the flours. I will have to mix my own flours because all the mixs have ingredients that I can't eat.

Thanks,

Del

I don't use a specific mix of flours for quick breads - just regular recipes and sub in a number of gluten-free flours. I usually make banana or pumpkin bread (just using regular cookbook recipes, but my own flour). Based on what I've learned about the flours on the boards and from experience, I stay away from most of the rice flours, and try to focus on the higher protein flours. Since you can't use soy, I'd probably go for a combination of at least three of bean flour (garfava is a good one), amaranth, quinioa, millet, or buckwheat. The higher protein content of these flours over things like rice, tapioca, or potato will help give it some additional texture (not gritty :-) ). I'd probably go equal volumes on whatever I picked, though never too much of the buckwheat, because I think it's got a pretty strong taste. Sometimes I'll also use flax meal or nut meal for a bit more moisture.

Same thing for muffins, but I don't mind a slightly different texture, so I'll use rice flours for some of it, but not a lot. The muffins tend to be a more delicate taste (again, still using regular recipes, particularly for blueberry muffins) so I focus on the millet and amaranth grains there. (Though I do sometimes use soy, myself, I realize this is off limits for you.)

gluten-free flours can taste different though - my husband complains of the aftertaste, but it's been so long for me, I can't even tell. The stevia may have left an aftertaste as well... I don't particularly like the aftertaste it leaves.

BTW, you might also try rice milk or nut milk for your hot chocolate...

celiac3270 Collaborator

For hot chocolate, also, the Swiss Miss milk chocolate packet is gluten-free.

mushimushi2004 Rookie

Thanks for all the info about the flours. I do want to focus on the higher protein flours. I already have Amaranth and quinoa flours. Am anxious to make something! About the gums. Is there someway I can tell when I need to add gums in a recipe? I need to know this because I don't want to make something where the gums are required for the finished food to come out right because I am allergic to them. Like you, I will be experimenting with regular recipes and only changing the flours and making substitues for the dairy, eggs and sugar. I will probably just leave the sugar out and let the fruit do the sweetening. Have you experimented much with only using cornstarch and/or potato starch? I have a gluten-free cookbook that only uses these. If so, what do you think of it? I know it is not high protein. Do you have a fav flat bread using high protein flours? I do have IBS and have not eaten beans in years and so I am wondering if the bean flours would affect me like beans affect a person?

Thanks again,

Del

mushimushi2004 Rookie

Hi celiac3270,

I have a feeling that the swiss miss mix has additives in it that I am allergic too. Would you mind posting the ingredient list?

What is malrotation of the intestines? I never heard of it.

Del

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

celiac3270 Collaborator

Oh, shoot--I'm sorry. I forgot about additional allergies: dairy, soy, yeast, eggs, etc. If it's the milk chocolate, I bet it has dairy in it. Let me check: Modified whey, soybean oil....I don't even need to go any further than that. There's the dairy (whey) and the soy...sorry! I should have looked before I posted that.

celiac3270 Collaborator

Oh, about the malrotation:

Malrotation of the intestines happens when the fetus is still inside the mother and is usually spotted by doctors shortly after birth. In my case, they missed it entirely and it took them fourteen years to find it. What should happen with the intestines is that sometime during the development stage inside the mother, the intestines should push outwards, make a twist, and pull back in. Basically, my intestines pushed outwards, didn't twist, and moved back in--this part of the explanation is confusing to me, but the rest makes more sense.

Anyway, since they weren't rotated properly, my intestines occasionally (in my case every 5-9 days) twisted over each other, resulting in tremendous abdominal pain, not allowing any food to get through, and often, therefore, resulting in vomiting. This gives you a few ideas of symptoms: bad abdominal pain and vomit (green vomit, especially). They would then untwist many hours later and I ate and felt normally again. This was hard to diagnose in me at this age since first off, it should've been spotted much earlier if I had it and since the symptoms were similar to what could be celiac symptoms--the stomach aches, gas, nausea, etc. I was fortunate that in fourteen years, it never got so serious that the intestines coiled around a vein or artery, stopping blood flow--then they would've been taking out actual organs and putting artificial stuff into my body.

In the surgery, they stretched my intestines out so that there would be little chance of them ever twisting again in what is called the Ladds procedure. Finally, they took out my appendix, because they said it was in the wrong spot. Therefore, if I ever got appendicitis, the doctors would never find it, since my appendix wouldn't even be where it should--better to be safe than sorry.

Some links:

Open Original Shared Link

mushimushi2004 Rookie

celiac3270,

How awful for you! Is it something that is rare? From the post it sounds like you just had this surgery done and you are 14 years old! Are you having to eat gluten-free because of this but not exactly celiac? I am so happy for you that it is all behind you now and you can concentrate on being healthy!

Blessings to you,

Del

skbird Contributor

My favorite hot chocolate recipe uses coconut milk and water instead of milk, determine your favorite creaminess - sometimes I do 100% coconut milk! It's rich and creamy that way and wonderful. I usually use unsweetened cocoa and add liquid stevia for this. It's fast, sweet, delicious, and has nearly no sugar (coconut milk has some naturally in it) and no dairy/gluten.

Stephanie

celiac3270 Collaborator
celiac3270,

How awful for you! Is it something that is rare? From the post it sounds like you just had this surgery done and you are 14 years old! Are you having to eat gluten-free because of this but not exactly celiac? I am so happy for you that it is all behind you now and you can concentrate on being healthy!

Blessings to you,

Del

Thank you :). It's.....not terribly common, but not rare either. They can't explain it, but it usually isn't too big a deal, since it's often found in infancy (though not in my case). Nope...this doesn't require a celiac diet--or any special diet--but I have Celiac Disease, as well.

Yeah, I don't know what's up with most of the hot chocolate packages out there. The chemicals!! Some powdered cocoa and honey is all you really need. (Of course, finding powdered cocoa that isn't processed with soy is tricky, but I know a couple companies at least make very simple bars of chocolate that are soy free that you can just melt into the hot liquid.)

mushimushi2004 Rookie

Before I got all these allergies (just 3 months ago); I made my hot chocolate with coconut cream or milk, gluten-free cocoa/gluten-free chocolate bar pieces and stevia. It was very wonderful and I miss it terriblly. Now, coconut is on my list of things that I am allergic too. :(

Del

liljules5 Rookie

I have been doing some research on the Specific Carbohydrate Diet and found some recipes. Open Original Shared Link has a link to recipes. They have one that is an egg replacer using gelatin.

GELATIN AS EGG REPLACER

Mix one envelope of unflavored gelatin with 1 cup boiling water.

Substitute 3 tablespoons of this liquid for each egg.

(Refrigerate leftover portion. Then, microwave to liquify before using.)

They also have an egg free recipe section that might be of help to you (keeping in mind your other allergies). All recipes listed in the first section are Dairy free and all are gluten free as well. I havent tried the gelatin as an egg replacer, but you should give it a shot. I've made the pancakes with peanut butter and banana (using real eggs) and they were good. Check the site out and let me know if you make anything that is worth trying!!! Good luck!

mushimushi2004 Rookie

I was on the SCDiet for a month right after this happened to me. During that time I got my results from allergy testing. Nuts and seeds are on the list! I agree the recipes on pecanbread are wonderful sounding. I would love to eat some! Even though eggs are on my list of things I am allergic too. I have continued to eat 2- 6 minutes egg yolks once every 4 days. So far it does not cause me any more or less pain than I already have. I figure I need those nutrients! Thanks for the tip for the egg replacer though. There are lots of egg replacers. You can use a banana, 1/4 cup apples, 3 t fruit puree amoung some others.

Del

Deby Apprentice

Bob's Red Mill egg replacer has gluten, so avoid that one.

Also, you may want to keep in mind that coconut juice is a natural laxative.

A quick bread that I like adds chopped dried fruit, any kind. I use mango, cranberry, blueberry, apricot, and raisins. I mix those fruits in a large batch then put a cup in per loaf. Then I mix black and white sesame seeds, pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds and flax seeds. I add 1/2 cup of seeds per loaf. I also sprinkle some seeds on top of the loaf. This bread toasted is really good and like a meal when I'm in a hurry.

skbird Contributor

I have been making homemade brownies with a modified recipe from Better Homes and Garden cookbook. Here are my subs and what else you can do with it:

1/2 cup butter (I used coconut oil, maybe use a non-soy shortening?)

2 eggs (use egg substitue of choice, flax meal is good for this)

1 cup sugar (I used 1/2 cup agave nectar and some stevia)

3/4 cup flour (I used brown rice flour)

1/2 cup nuts (omit in your case)

salt

2 oz chocolate (I used 3 oz Lindt 85% chocolate)

Melt chocolate and butter together. Meanwhile, lightly beat eggs and add to flour, sugar, salt. Add chocolate and butter mix, add nuts. Pour into baking dish (8X8X2) and bake at 350F for 30 mins. Mmmmm....

Stephanie

mushimushi2004 Rookie

Deby,

That sounds wonderful. Yesterday I was cleared to use small amounts of some nuts (no seeds yet). I would like to have this recipe for the future. Could you tell me the whole recipe? What flour did you use etc?

Here is a great recipe I love (will eat again some day) in exchange for yours:

Oatmeal-less Raisin cookies

350 degrees 10 minutes

1 1/2 C nuts (I like almonds or walnuts) chopped not ground. Ground will produce a whole new recipe!

1 C coconut unsweetened

Lots of raisins

few spoonfuls of applesauce

vanilla

1 C coconut oil softened

2 eggs

cinnamon

honey (if you must)

I don't use any sweetener.

or you can decrease the oil to 1/2 C add 1 t baking soda and some pineapple, vanilla and 1.5 cups of carrots and you have a carrot cake! 350degrees 45-60 minutes

Both recipes are very forgiving.

Del

mushimushi2004 Rookie

Stephanie,

That sure "nuf" sounds like a recipe I can use! Thank you so much! I really have not done hardly any experimenting with gluten-free flours. Do you like using Brown rice flour? That is probablly the only one I don't have! LOL!

Del

Archived