Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Kit.DaMommy

Learning To Cook Gluten Free

I tried to make gluten free spaghetti today. Which might I add went wrong. Since going gluten free I had problems with dairy which I don't eat often anyways, so i bought rice spaghetti noodles and spaghetti sauce I doctored the sauce with spices like I normally would. Added some hamburger added the noodles and cheese. I undercooked the noodles even though I cooked them like I would normally. I ended up with to much cheese. And the taste was way off. It wasn't completely unedible, but it sure wasn't something I would like to eat again. I have looking up recipes on here and plan to try some of those next, but if anyone has suggestions on how to adjust my cooking, please help.

love to all,

be blessed

I can only answer part of your question. I find that gluten-free pasta takes longer to cook, and becomes tougher when removed from the water. We use Glutino rice spaghetti. I can't tell you just how long it takes since I don't time it. I test the "doneness" regularly, and when it seems about right, I boil it for another two minutes. This seems to work for me.

Our gluten-free meatball recipe is posted here. Click to see it. In the post, there are a couple of links to pictures of the meatballs.

I don't know enough about the sauce to comment. We buy and use a marinara sauce that is available locally and is gluten-free. We add the above meatballs to it, and use grated cheese from Kraft, a celiac-friendly company.

My PERSONAL suggestion would be to never buy ANY rice pasta but Tinkyada! I've heard from many celiacs that it is the best brand and I believe it. Even my husband and teenage son who are not Celiac eat it with no problem. Now I WILL say...cook it according to the directions. The first time I made it it was like eating an earth worm! It was soft on the outside and well...it wasn't cooked enough. We are very content with the Tinkyada here.

You might try corn or quinoa pasta or a combination thereof. I find different pastas work better for different things. The Old Spaghetti Factory serves a corn pasta. Very good, but doesn't taste like a wheat pasta. I also like corn pasta in things like minestrone soup.

Tinkyada is a very good pasta, but I sometimes buy others. I like the quinoa/rice blend best for tuna casserole and also for pasta salad.

The trick to cooking it is to use a TON of water and heavily salt it. It seems to need more salt than wheat pasta.

I like Tinkyada best of anything I've tried. The secret to success with it is use a lot of salted water, stir gently but often, and begin checking for doneness a good 5-7 minutes before the instructions say.

Take it off the heat immediately and drain--I don't rinse it.