This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Brain Fog...do You Get 'pressure' Too?

Eric-C

Eric-C Enthusiast

In the past I always attributed the brain fog to gluten. I'd get pressure in the front of my head, right above the nose around the sinus area.

That always seemed to go away totally about 2-3 weeks after a accidental heavy glutening. Now I am starting to think either I was going down the wrong path or possibly I need to change toothpaste and all that.

About 4 months ago I went to the ER with no vision and sparkling in my eyes. Told me I had an opthalmic migraine...had a CT and all that came back fine. I told them I did feel like I had a sinus headache a bit and throw in some dehydration from drinking the night before and there is my problem.

Went away and every once in a while I'd have a tough time seeing up close. This past week it got pretty bad again, but only up close. Went to the eye doctor, found nothing wrong but my prescription was out a bit.

On a whim I took a Bendryl sinus and it went away. The sinus pressure is causing some minor vision problems and the doctor told me that is entirely possible.

I also confirmed it in a way. We went out for Sushi Friday night and I got a hold of some really strong Wasabi...after a few bites of that my head cleared right up, sinuses again being the issue.

So what I always thought was brain fog from gluten may well be sinus issues, or something I'm continuing to use which I guess must be toothpaste is causing a sinus related inflammation.

I feel a bit foggy sometimes...other times I feel ok and I thought it was just one of those things but now I'm wondering if this is some long connection to gluten or I just had sinus problems all along.

The pressure in the sinus for sure effects my ability to think straight...its like having a slight headache and not being able to concentrate because of the pain.

I'd just like to get an idea of what happens to others when they get the fog feeling....for me the fog and the pressure go hand in hand. This might also explain why its better during the day, worse at night, and follows the pattern for sinus related allergies.

As always when you go back and look things make a better picture. We eat a lot of spicey, mostly Indian, food. We kind of cut back because we've been busy and gone back to more traditional quick to cook meals. The sinus issue has raised itself as we gave up the spicey food. I always thought it was I was eating healthier when it reality it just might have been the spicey part. I went from having Indian at work 3 days a week to bringing my lunch and this problem has worsened since then. Having the Wasabi Friday night made that click in my head. Curry lamb is on the menu for this evening :)

Thanks

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Jestgar Rising Star

I have a couple friends who's only glutening sign is a stuffy nose. Gluten causes inflammation. Where you feel that inflammation seems to be different for different people. Wasabi, or anything that causes you to tear up will lead to an initial rush of fluid which might be washing away the antibodies and other inflammatory cytokines and clearing up your sinuses.

jerseyangel Proficient

For me, there's most definately a connection between the headfog feeling and my sinuses. This is probably the reason that for most of the 20+ years I was being misdiagnosed, the doctors felt my illness stemmed from my sinuses. (this even after 2 neg. CT-scans)

What Jestgar said about infammation ties it in perfectly.

Something that I find helps--and you can do this on a daily basis--is a neti pot. Decongestants can help too--I used to use them until I developed high blood pressure.

Mtndog Collaborator

I don't always get head pressure but when I do, it is awful. No cold medicine has ever helped it. Inflammation would definitely account for it since I have Lyme and plenty o' inflammation to go around!

Amber M Explorer
In the past I always attributed the brain fog to gluten. I'd get pressure in the front of my head, right above the nose around the sinus area.

That always seemed to go away totally about 2-3 weeks after a accidental heavy glutening. Now I am starting to think either I was going down the wrong path or possibly I need to change toothpaste and all that.

About 4 months ago I went to the ER with no vision and sparkling in my eyes. Told me I had an opthalmic migraine...had a CT and all that came back fine. I told them I did feel like I had a sinus headache a bit and throw in some dehydration from drinking the night before and there is my problem.

Went away and every once in a while I'd have a tough time seeing up close. This past week it got pretty bad again, but only up close. Went to the eye doctor, found nothing wrong but my prescription was out a bit.

On a whim I took a Bendryl sinus and it went away. The sinus pressure is causing some minor vision problems and the doctor told me that is entirely possible.

I also confirmed it in a way. We went out for Sushi Friday night and I got a hold of some really strong Wasabi...after a few bites of that my head cleared right up, sinuses again being the issue.

So what I always thought was brain fog from gluten may well be sinus issues, or something I'm continuing to use which I guess must be toothpaste is causing a sinus related inflammation.

I feel a bit foggy sometimes...other times I feel ok and I thought it was just one of those things but now I'm wondering if this is some long connection to gluten or I just had sinus problems all along.

The pressure in the sinus for sure effects my ability to think straight...its like having a slight headache and not being able to concentrate because of the pain.

I'd just like to get an idea of what happens to others when they get the fog feeling....for me the fog and the pressure go hand in hand. This might also explain why its better during the day, worse at night, and follows the pattern for sinus related allergies.

As always when you go back and look things make a better picture. We eat a lot of spicey, mostly Indian, food. We kind of cut back because we've been busy and gone back to more traditional quick to cook meals. The sinus issue has raised itself as we gave up the spicey food. I always thought it was I was eating healthier when it reality it just might have been the spicey part. I went from having Indian at work 3 days a week to bringing my lunch and this problem has worsened since then. Having the Wasabi Friday night made that click in my head. Curry lamb is on the menu for this evening :)

Thanks

I had the same problem today, exactly! I think I had contaminated food this week end. Yes, there is a conection, I feel. I have had the migriane problem for 20 years. Just went gluten free 4 months ago. I have had sinus and ear problems for many years too. I have had to have ear tubes for 20 years due to fluid. The brain fog is from gluten, but migraines, especially involving the eyes, cause severe concentration problems. I will have to try some of those spices. I think your sinus problems are gluten related. I had to change toothpaste and plan to change deoderant and all skin products as well. I mean, when you think about how "Patch" medicines absorb through the skin, then it makes sense that soaps, etc. would too. Think about that to....like shaving cream ??

jerseyangel Proficient
I have had to have ear tubes for 20 years due to fluid.

Wow--I'm sorry to hear this, but I found it interesting. I also have a fluid problem in one ear that has come and gone over the years. As I said upthread, I used to use decongestants years ago, but now I can't so I pretty much live with it.

I do use a steroid nasal spray, but it doesn't really help much anymore. My current doctor said that my right ear (the problem one) has a "drawn in" ear drum, which she said means that some fluid "lives behind it". It drives me crazy, but since it doesn't normally cause me any dizziness, she thinks it would be better to leave it alone.

Eric-C Enthusiast

Thanks for all your replies.

I would say for sure its gluten...but I'm comparing that against when this stuff happened. April/October the two biggest seasons for allergies.

When I was younger I had allergies but they went away, or at least I just didn't let them bother me.

Now the gluten might compound the problem...our toothpaste is said to be gluten free. Soap is not specified.

All I know is after a bad 'gluten' glutenning I do get the brain fog/pressure. After a wheat based glutening, I just get stomach issues.

Why they react differently is beyond me.

At least I can now treat it in a way. I was glutened on a cruise ship and they doctor recommended me taking Alegra and prescribed me some, it did wonders to shorten the reaction to a few hours and left me with no side effects except sore knee's for about 12 hours.

I never put two and two together until I had eye sight issues, I just thought it was muscle tension, the pressure I had.

So its possible its the same end result but two different causes.

I took an Alegra on Friday afternoon and things progressively got better and now are perfect. The pressure is gone, the fog is gone, eyesight is normal.

I've posted before that Alegra or other antihistamines seem to greatly improve my reaction. Shortening what could be weeks into a few days. I just cannot figure out where it came from....

We do eat out but I've never been that sensitive although I suspect my sensitivity is increasing....then again our patterns have not changed throughout summer. Two separate instances with identical results spread over the span of 6 months...that doesn't lead me to believe its something environmental as far as gluten is concerned.

So now the real question is....ingesting gluten, even in the smallest amounts is bad because it attacks and destroys the intestines which can lead to cancer and a bunch of other bad things...sinus inflammation is something people live with every day for their entire lives and are no worse for wear other than having to deal with it.

Even if it is some random gluten issue causing my sinus problem, is it really the end of the world if I can control it with medication once in a while, its not attacking my digestive system.

I'm assuming I'm getting gluten in the sinus/eye area, having a reaction, and causing the inflammation.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Archived