This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Against The Grain's Baguettes

Mountaineer Josh

Mountaineer Josh Apprentice

I was shopping at Wegmans recently and picked up some baguettes for $7.99. At first, I thought, "why am I wasting $7.99 on gluten free bread that will lead to yet more disappointment." Well, I stand corrected. Wow, just wow! These baguettes were by far the closest thing I've had to real, flaky, chewy bread since my diagnosis. I highly recommend. I was so excited, I must have eaten three sandwiches for dinner that night. The ingredients include: tapioca flour, mozzarella cheese, eggs, water. Nothing fancy, but whatever ever they are doing, it's great. I forgot to mention the big, chewy air pockets like real bread!

Has anyone else had this product?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

happygirl Collaborator

I found them at Wegman's and had the same reaction as you did - I can't believe how wonderful they are. Same with the bagels. Absolutely wonderful!

Mtndog Collaborator

They are AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!! :D :D :D :D :D :D

Vamonos Rookie
I was shopping at Wegmans recently and picked up some baguettes for $7.99. At first, I thought, "why am I wasting $7.99 on gluten free bread that will lead to yet more disappointment." Well, I stand corrected. Wow, just wow! These baguettes were by far the closest thing I've had to real, flaky, chewy bread since my diagnosis. I highly recommend. I was so excited, I must have eaten three sandwiches for dinner that night. The ingredients include: tapioca flour, mozzarella cheese, eggs, water. Nothing fancy, but whatever ever they are doing, it's great. I forgot to mention the big, chewy air pockets like real bread!

Against the Grain also makes bagels and rolls and can be found in the freezer case. They remind me of croissants in texture. I have used only that brand of rolls since I found them at my local health food store about a year ago. They are also available at Whole Foods Markets in the New England area.

I've noticed recently that the rolls I have been buying do not have the huge air pockets, but are rather fluffy and bread like. Do you think they are using Expandex in their products?

Jenny (AZ via TX) Enthusiast

Anyone know if Whole Foods or TJ's carries this? I have tried so many different kinds of breads and don't really like any of them. I miss good bread!

mamaw Community Regular

AtG is wonderful. No expandex. They are truly the best available for rolls... To get them in your area ask your favorite store to carry this line. They do not ship themselves , only through United Natural Foods Distributors.They have just been approved for Ohio, Ky , Indiana & I think Il. This bun will hold up to a juciy burger, sloppy joes, ham bb'q & much more.

The baguette makes great french toast, garlic bread, we like Italian deli meats, cheeses & put under the broiler... yum.

Also the newest roll is the pumpernickel , oh my extremely delic.

They will stay in the freezer for a year (if you can keep them that long) . Just bring to room temp. & your are ready to dig in... Be sure not to over heat them in the micro, just a few seconds to take the chill off & thaw.......

You can make reubens also by adding some caraway seeds to your other ingredients.....

I used to drive four hours just to buy these gems.....

ENJOY!!!!!

mamaw

NWLAX36Mom Rookie

That is great to know. I just saw them for the first time but chickened out on buying them. I guess I will have to make a trip back to buy them.

They now carry them at Lilit Cafe in Bethesda, MD, for anyone in the Maryland/DC area.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

happygirl Collaborator

They are about $2 more at Lilit as compared to Wegman's, FYI.

• 3 weeks later...
glutenfreebaker Newbie

Here is a great tip: Against the grain products are basically chebe bread mix. Google it or better yet find it on Amazon for 17.00- you'll receive 8 packages of this stuff. 1 mix will feed a family for one night or one person for several days.

I tried posting the link, but the mod wouldn't let me.

Good luck

All they're doing is using mozz. instead of the suggested cheddar. This stuff is much cheaper and totally AWESOME.

mamaw Community Regular

I don't think they are like Chebe....... our taste must be different. I think they have more of a popover taste.

carriekate Rookie

The buns taste even better than gluten buns. I like the baguettes also. The only thing is there are 15 grams of fat in each bun and the baquettes are high also. I am guessing it is because of the mozzarella cheese. When I tried the buns the first time I ate three without stopping lol, they were so good. Now I watch and limit when I eat them but they are so tempting! BTW, mine were available at a store called Bunn's on Street Road in Feasterville, PA.

Archived