This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Who Would Do It?

eeyore

eeyore Collaborator

I was wondering how many of us would return to gluten if we suddenly would be able to have it.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

ShayFL Enthusiast

For me NO. I am so much healthier eating "Grain Free". Maybe I am rare, but I dont miss gluten foods. I have come to enjoy natural whole foods so much.

Katester Enthusiast

If I was able to eat it and feel fine, I would probably eat it. I think it would make my life easier with eating out and eating in general. The gluten-free lifestyle is very expensive as you all know and it's definitely taken a toll on my family. I think I would eat gluten to relieve everyone in my family of a lot of stress.

Anna and Marie Newbie

I would never go back. It's taken three years to finally start feeling good and I am so healthy. Who needs gluten anyway. I'll never go back to the american lifestyle of eating out and eating often. They don't know what thier missing. :D

Kylie Explorer

Personally, I miss my wheat. I am italian and grew up eating pasta, pasta, a little bread, and then some more pasta. I never was a big on eating out, so I don't miss the fast food (except maybe fresh krispy kreams). I do miss taking part in family traditions that center around traditional food that I just have not been able to make gluten free. I also miss going to communion at church, I feel like such a loner sitting there all by myself. I wouldn't trade it if it meant going back into the hospital though. Has anyone heard of the potential new study at NIH about celiac disease and trying to find a pill (like the lactaid pill) that would all people with celiac to occasionally eat wheat, it is still in the planning stages, but maybe in a few years it will be real.

kbtoyssni Contributor

If I woke up tomorrow and didn't have celiac, I don't think I could eat gluten again. I'm conditioned to not see gluten products as food anymore. It's more this curious thing that other people eat that I'm always fascinated about, but it's not something I eat. My life just doesn't contain gluten anymore. I probably wouldn't be so vigilant about CC, though. Cuz that stuff's a pain to deal with.

lizard00 Enthusiast

A few good things have come from me not being able to eat gluten and subsequently having a sensitive gut.

I eat way more things than I used to, and I view the grocery store as an adventure now. I get to go and pick out new things... it's kind of exciting. I didn't eat a lot of junk before, now I eat even less. So my overall diet is much healthier.

I don't really miss a lot of foods at this point, because I've either learned to make them at home, or I just got over it. But I would LOVE for my body to not be so reactive. And not have to worry so much about what I'm going to feed myself. Because I eat ALL day, and sometimes, it gets old thinking so much about food.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

MollyBeth Contributor

A smal part of me says yes! But a bigger part says no. Now that I have been on this diet I am so much more conscious of what goes into my body. Some of the stuff in processed foods ins't even real food. Going out and suff is harder now but... What can you do? You make it work...

Also, i'm not going to live in the what if. I can't eat Gluten...That's a fact of my life and Right now it's not looking likely at all that I will ever be able to eat gluten again.

pixiegirl Enthusiast

You mean if I didn't have Celiac and could eat it with no problems? Of course I'd have it. Its hard for me to believe people that say they wouldn't!!!

I have been gluten-free for almost 10 years and I too look at gluten food and know it makes me sick however if I "knew" it would not do so I'd eat it occasionally. I do agree with the poster above who said being gluten-free has made them learn about all sorts of new foods. That has happened with me too and I love my diet now however I'm sure I'd go out with friends occasionally for pizza or drink so really good German beer. And I'd certainly have some sour dough bread now and then. But without any doubt my focus is on health for the most part and my diet now concentrates on fish, veggies and fruits. It would not play any major part in my diet a second time around.

But yes... I do once in a while take a walk on the wild side, sour dough and beer!

Susan

MollyBeth Contributor
That has happened with me too and I love my diet now however I'm sure I'd go out with friends occasionally for pizza or drink so really good German beer.

Okay, You got me there pixiegirl. If I could drink beer again... Oh god if there was a way. As it gets colder...How I long for a nice tall black and tan. I miss my beer!!!

ang1e0251 Contributor

OK, my first reaction was YES!! But then I remembered this morning when I opened the bread bag to feed my dogs how the smell of that bread made my stomach turn over. I don't know if I could. I've spent a lot of brain cells turning against gluten. I've done a pretty good job at that. I won't even read about the possible pill. I know when my mom didn't really believe I couldn't tolerate milk. SHe kept trying to get me to max on the pills so I could have ice cream with her. I explained that I tried the pills but they only delayed the reaction. It took her a long time to accept it.

My point was I suffered trying the pills then and I'm just not willing to do that again. I really wish I could eat out more easily but I know several people with end stage cancer right now, so when I feel sorry for myself in a restaurant, I remember these poor folks would trade places with me in a minute. Kind of puts things in perspective for me.

ShayFL Enthusiast

If G-d came down and said "Sharon you can eat anything you want and never get sick." Well, yeah, then I would eat anything and everything. But if I stopped having gluten sensitivity I would not eat gluten. No. I do not think GRAINS are fit for human consumption. I think of grains as animal feed (as nature intended). I believe grains are the bane of our existence. I believe they lead to degenerative diseases like diabetes and osteoperosis. They block and bind to important minerals we need to regulate blood sugar and bone growth.

So no. I wouldnt eat it in that respect. But if G-d wants to give me a free ticket.....I'll take it. :D

Anna and Marie Newbie
Personally, I miss my wheat. I am italian and grew up eating pasta, pasta, a little bread, and then some more pasta. I never was a big on eating out, so I don't miss the fast food (except maybe fresh krispy kreams). I do miss taking part in family traditions that center around traditional food that I just have not been able to make gluten free. I also miss going to communion at church, I feel like such a loner sitting there all by myself. I wouldn't trade it if it meant going back into the hospital though. Has anyone heard of the potential new study at NIH about celiac disease and trying to find a pill (like the lactaid pill) that would all people with celiac to occasionally eat wheat, it is still in the planning stages, but maybe in a few years it will be real.

Hey there! I have been going to communion for three years and have never had a reaction, and trust me, I would know. I have edema ( swelling in the legs) so if I have a reaction, up they go! good luck, and I'll try and send some divine intervention your way.

~ Anna

Anna and Marie Newbie
If I woke up tomorrow and didn't have celiac, I don't think I could eat gluten again. I'm conditioned to not see gluten products as food anymore. It's more this curious thing that other people eat that I'm always fascinated about, but it's not something I eat. My life just doesn't contain gluten anymore. I probably wouldn't be so vigilant about CC, though. Cuz that stuff's a pain to deal with.

I'm conditioned too. I don't see it as food either. It seems that everything that has gluten is non substantial. Maybe my mentality is too far for some people but why eat just for the sake of eating? Just eat what you need and move on! :D

Ashley Enthusiast

Coming from a large Italian family, I would eat gluten in a heartbeat, if I could...

Puddy Explorer

Maybe it's because I haven't been eating gluten-free that long, but YES, I would eat it morning, noon and night if I was able! I truly miss the foods I'm no longer able to have and the easier, more spontaneous life-style that went along with it.

Kmarie Newbie

If i could eat gluten agian i would not.

it's so much more healthier for you not eating it becasue of all the chemicals they put in all the foods.

eating fruits and vegatabls and protien is much more better than breads and carbs.

and plus whenever i became gluten free i lost a lot of weight and i do not want to gain any of it back :)

GFqueen17 Contributor

Thats tough..I hate all the stress and effort and aggrivation of eating gluten-free but I don't really miss gluten foods at all. I would keep on eating gluten-free but I wouldnt worry at all about cross contamination or miniscule amounts of gluten in my food. That would be so nice.

Fiddle-Faddle Community Regular

It's not the gluten I miss, but the convenience. It would be nice not to have to make every single thing we eat from scratch!

On the other hand, the from-scratch foods I make taste better than pre-packaged gluteny originals (for example, homemade gluten-free chocolate chip cookies taste way better than anything Keebler makes).

Anna and Marie Newbie
Hey there! I have been going to communion for three years and have never had a reaction, and trust me, I would know. I have edema ( swelling in the legs) so if I have a reaction, up they go! good luck, and I'll try and send some divine intervention your way.

~ Anna

take that back, we had our doubts so we followed up... it is so hard, its like giving up part of my faith in exchange for what? my mother just can't believe it b/c for so long I had no reactions, then bam! Now, for the past four weeks, my legs swell and while I am still very much confused, I believe it. Oh yeah, with thanksgiving and christmas and all the family get togethers, here comes the flying breadcrumbs and the too many questions and the fact that traditions are exclusive... hope your holidays are amazing!! Merry Christmas!

Archived