Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Lesliean

Lactose Intolerance Tes

I had the lactose breath test today and it was strongly positive with methane production. I feel like I did on gluten. Out of it, sick, sore side, hypoglycemic. Do you think this an indication of the intestinal damage? I am waiting for Enterolab testing and blood genetic testing with total A (he couldn't do more because I am gluten-free and don't want to go back to that gluten feeling again). Great doctor. Didn't want me to go back on gluten either and will accept positive genetic profile as a positive test. Boy am I glad I found you all. Thanks!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

It's hard to say that it could be a sign of intestinal damage - plenty of people naturally can't digest lactose as an adult. (Actually, in the world as a whole, it's more common to be lactose intolerant as an adult than be able to tolerate it.) You can always try again in a few months (maybe four or five?) and see how it goes then.

Here is a question for you. The gp did reticulin, anti-glaindin, and tissue transglutaminase, but on day 21 gluten-free. My asthma specalist thinks with the lactose test positive and the blood work negative (day 21 not long enough to change tests) I must be negative for gluten intolerance. But would you think it could just be lactose if you stopped having: constipation, bleeding, pain, hypoglycemia, circles under your eyes, burping, congestion deep in chest, voice loss, circular bruising...? I wait anxiously for the gene testing. What do you think about it only being lactose? Thank you!!

I don't know about all that coming from just lactose intolerance, but - depending on how fast you heal and how long you had been gluten-free and how much antibodies you produce and how the labs read the tests - 21 days gluten-free might have been long enough for you to end up testing negative. You might try to find out what your actual values were.

It's said that for a test to come back positive you need to be on gluten. That could very well be enough time that went by without gluten to make it come back negative. Lactose intolerance can come with celiac due to damage to the villi so I would not rule out celiac quite yet if I were you.