This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Cheetos - Ugh, Anyone Else Have A Problem With These?

3groovygirls

CristineP Newbie

I love the Gluten-Free baked "Cheetos" from Trader Joe's. :)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

chiroptera Apprentice

We ate Lay Ruffles for a while and did okay with them then look out, got real sick. Then when also recently got sick from the regular chips and Tostitos as well. Tried the Fritos and that made us really sick.

I guess my point is yes we have had problems too. We buy very little processed foods (granted it doesn't sound like it) but boy I am done with that. We are sticking to plain popcorn I make (your daughter may be too little for popcorn) and clearly marked gluten free crackers.

Even though something may not appear to have gluten ingredients I have learned that they are not necessarily gluten free. It is hard and can be very frustrating because you feel like you can't buy mainstream products or food that is served at someone else's house.

Good luck. Unfortunately sometimes it's trial and error but when you're dealing with a sickness it is hard either way.

itradehilton Newbie

My DS had a halloween party at school and I went online to check the products, Lays, and based on the website I let him eat the snacks. He was sick for 2 days. He has had the chips without flavoring and was fine but this time the chips had flavorings. I now have to put them back on the no list.

minniejack Contributor
Have you considered a possible corn sensitivity? While cross contamination is a possibility, I know that I had to discover the hard way that I am also sensitive to products containing large quantities of corn. Regardless of the type of "gluten-free" corn chips I have tried, I react strongly to all of them like I've been glutened. I can handle small amounts such as a little cornstarch in a sauce, but I've reacted to every mainly "corn" product. From what I've read, this isn't uncommon in the beginning and may lessen with time. (I hope so, because I'm dying to make cornbread with chili and other such corn dishes.)

It's been one year of being gluten-free and I know that in the beginning, me and my son couldn't eat anything with milk. I still cannot have a glass of milk, but can do "curded" milk products, like kefir, yogurt, cheese and cottage cheese.

And too much of corn based products caused me the same problem as gluten. And my favorite food of all time is Frito Lay corn chips and they've always made my stomach hurt, but if I eat just a few in moderation, I'm okay now.

For accidental glutening, we use L-glutamine, an amino acid that you can find at GNC. Just a small bit and its stops the diarrhea issues.

• 1 year later...
Pippi777 Newbie

I haven't been tested for celiac disease, but I experimented myself by cutting out gluten and felt 200 times better. Pretty sure I'm just gluten intolerant.

I haven't tried Cheetos since I've gone gluten free. I have had various Lays chips without any issue, though. I wasn't aware of Tings, either. I'll have to try those next time I see them. While I'm not overly sensitive, the longer I go without having any outright gluten ingredients, when I do get any it is worse. I generally do fine with food made on the same equipment, but the food I'm actually eating doesn't have gluten. Perhaps it depends on each individuals sensitivity level?

I know I always feel bad when I'm at a party, a potluck, or really any gathering where people bring food to share. I always bring my own food and 99% of the time decline other people's food. They understand once I explain my reasoning, but I still feel bad, nonetheless.

Good luck!

kareng Grand Master

I haven't been tested for celiac disease, but I experimented myself by cutting out gluten and felt 200 times better. Pretty sure I'm just gluten intolerant.

I haven't tried Cheetos since I've gone gluten free. I have had various Lays chips without any issue, though. I wasn't aware of Tings, either. I'll have to try those next time I see them. While I'm not overly sensitive, the longer I go without having any outright gluten ingredients, when I do get any it is worse. I generally do fine with food made on the same equipment, but the food I'm actually eating doesn't have gluten. Perhaps it depends on each individuals sensitivity level?

I know I always feel bad when I'm at a party, a potluck, or really any gathering where people bring food to share. I always bring my own food and 99% of the time decline other people's food. They understand once I explain my reasoning, but I still feel bad, nonetheless.

Good luck!

The last post in this thread was about 1 1/2 years ago. That's important because ingredients and gluten-free status changes on foods. Don't go by info here, check for new updated info on a product's website. Or read the ingredients.

Pippi777 Newbie

The last post in this thread was about 1 1/2 years ago. That's important because ingredients and gluten-free status changes on foods. Don't go by info here, check for new updated info on a product's website. Or read the ingredients.

Thanks for letting me know. I've only really been gluten-free for a few months, should have been about a year ago. It's hard to figure this stuff out sometimes and to navigate through all of the terminology. :-)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

sa1937 Community Regular

I eat Cheetos occasionally and haven't had a problem with them although I know some people do...guess it depends on sensitivity. For potato chips I usually buy Stax, which are labeled gluten-free.

Rmarie15 Newbie

I found out I have celiacs 5months ago. I have been trying extremely hard to avoid questionable foods and cross contamination. As careful as I've been, I've noticed some foods that are truly gluten free were still causing a reaction. The common factor has been MSG. I looked it up and turns out many celiacs have a hard time with msg. And cheetos definately have that, as do most overly processed foods. I can eat the cheetos natural puffs.

Sorry your daughter has to go through this. I'm 28 and have a hard time, I can't imagine my son having to deal with it too.

Archived